Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

002 VW Bus Transaxle Cant Find Neutral
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethandomantay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:05 pm    Post subject: 002 VW Bus Transaxle Cant Find Neutral Reply with quote

002 VW Transaxle doesn’t have neutral?

I should preface by saying I am using a 1972 3 rib 002 transaxle mounted to an early 80s Toyota 22r via a brand new KEP plate, flywheel, clutch, and throw out bearing.

I have just gotten this setup running in the past few days and still have the rear end on jackstands. The van starts, idles, and clearly has 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and reverse gears when letting the clutch out. ~1” of pedal free play. However, when the shifter is in what I think to be neutral, I’ll let out on the clutch and the wheels will still spin.

I have replaced the front shift bushing, switched out the geneberg shifter to a stock shifter from a 76 bus, and replaced the rear coupler. I initially couldn’t find reverse but after adjusting the reverse lockout (base) plate I found reverse.

Lastly, I disconnected the linkage at the rear coupler and tried finding neutral by shifting with my hand. Still spun in what I assumed to be neutral.

After consulting a few sources I have found no reasonable conclusion as to what could be causing this “can’t find neutral issue,” so any suggestion could help. Thanks
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: 002 VW BUS TRANSAXLE CANT FIND NEUTRAL Reply with quote

There is enough internal drag in the transmission, especially with cold oil that the wheels will spin in neutral if the wheels are up in the air. If you apply the brakes they should stop though.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: 002 VW BUS TRANSAXLE CANT FIND NEUTRAL Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^

That’s the answer but if it isn’t, has anyone had the nose cone off?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 002 VW BUS TRANSAXLE CANT FIND NEUTRAL Reply with quote

Yes, why?

Easy test before removing trans is put on a pair of gloves and grab onto of one of the tires, if it stops you are in neutral if not, well you will know when to let go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: 002 VW BUS TRANSAXLE CANT FIND NEUTRAL Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
There is enough internal drag in the transmission, especially with cold oil that the wheels will spin in neutral if the wheels are up in the air. If you apply the brakes they should stop though.

I’ve had it before where it was cold enough where my bus started driving forwards on its own in neutral. That’s most likely the issue
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: