Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1976 Westy canvis
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: 1976 Westy canvis Reply with quote

I purchased a new acrylic canvis for my pop top from Go-Westy. The first one they sent me was way to short. I called them and they said they had problems with the manufacturer and to send it back because it had been made to the wrong pattern. They sent me a new one and it measured a full inch taller. Thinking all my troubles were over, I installed it only to find that it to was evidently a little to short and the uprights would not hinge all the way up and click into position. I do not want to take this thing back off as it was alot of work to install (all day Saturday !). Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking about cutting the upright poles down a little because I don't think it needs much to fully open. I know its installed right. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: 1976 Westy canvis Reply with quote

i would not cut the ploes. i know you said it was installed correctly, but are you sure that you don't have to much material folded up at the top. when i installed the canvas on my westy i folded to much material under at the top and had to remove the staples and adjust it. if that is not the case then i would remove it and send it back. i know it will be more work, but it will be worth it. shortening the legs is a bad idea, i think. will ruin the westy. jeff
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: 1976 Westy canvis Reply with quote

There is a cable inside the tubes that assist with raising the top. You can't simply cut the tubes to make them shorter unless you cut the cable also. Don't do it.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: 1976 Westy canvis Reply with quote

The top of the canvis is folded the width of the plastic strip, approx. 3/4". This is the same as it was from the factory. This allows the staples to grip the fabric and the plastic strip. Any less and I don't think it would hold. Even if I didn't fold it over I don't think it would be enough to allow the top to open. As far as the cables go, they are anchored further up inside the tubes, well away from the ends where I would cut them. I think I need to take only about 1/2" off of each end to make this thing work. Anyhow, I'm calling Go-Westy today to let them know what I think about their $300.00 canvis. Thanks for your replies and I'm still open for suggestions.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: 1976 Westy canvis Reply with quote

WWW.PLF.com has good tops and they are the correct colors!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith Baker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: 1976 Westy canvis Reply with quote

I just bought the cotton top, have not yet installed it. I hope it is the right size. Sorry to hear about the problem.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: 1976 Westy canvis Reply with quote

The aftermarket tops are known to be too small, too tight. A workaround is to install a vanagon canvas.

Dawn's (PLFVW) poptops canvas fit perfectly but start at $325.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: