Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Proper electric fuel pump wiring
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluxcap wrote:
It would not cut off when I stalled the car. I could hear it clicking as if it were trying to cut off, but it would just keep on running.

This was my experience as well. I installed the relay just as instructed. It acted like there was some kind of residual current still feeding the elec. fuel pump after the engine stopped running.
It eventually did cut off, but sometimes after a full 15 or 20 seconds.
????
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had an electric fuel pump for my supercharger setup I used a Bosch EFI fuel pump relay like the Rabbit/Golf one but from an Aussie made GM car.

It had a couple of extra terminals than the VW one but the good thing about it was it self primed.

When you first turned the ignition on it would run the pump for 1-2 seconds then stop it till it got a signal from the tach.

so if the car sat and the fuel bowls were dry turning the ignition on and off again a few times soon filled the bowls back up.
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's how the one from revolution electronics works as well. Turn the key on and it pumps for a few seconds then stops until you crank the car.

Jzjames, if my first relay would have cut off after about 15 seconds, I'd probably lived with that, but I once tested it to see how long it would keep going and finally had to just turn the key off after 3 minutes!!! Shocked Laughing

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canvmnvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so are you guys saying that the German Rabit relay shown in this thread and wired as shown does not work properly or are you saying that the problems you had was with cheaper ebay versions out there. I've seen rabbit relays as low as 3.98 on the web. you're obviously gonna get what you pay for. I was going to go the rabbit relay (nice german one) with the pre-prime switch, but if there is a problem with this set-up, perhaps I'll look at the RE12003 set-up again, but at 70.00, it's a bit steep compared to the rabbit set-up. Anyone set one up as described in this thread with success?
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I got was the one with the integrated fuse on top mentioned earlier in this thread. It was NOT made in Germany. I think it said it was made in Hungry. It was $25.

edit: I must have been hungry when typing this. I meant Hungary obviously Laughing

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."

Last edited by fluxcap on Thu May 26, 2011 7:40 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canvmnvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh Shocked that's a chuck of change for something that didn't work Mad
I'm thinking of biteing the bullet for the RE 12003 kit. It appears that you guys have had good results with that one. and really if I add up a good german relay, socket, prime switch, wiring and connectors.... it's probably gonna come out close to the RE12003 kit Cool (without it turning into a science project under my hood.)
Thanks for the info...
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1961bluebug wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Use a Rabbit FI relay. It powers the pump when you're cranking the engine and shuts the pump off when the engine stops. No need for a push button.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

just to let you all know..there is pretty neat relay of this partnumber for sale on E*bay, new, with integrated slot for a fuse.

Where do I add a manual override button to this relay circuit? I want to be able to prime my carbs before I start cranking the engine. Between 15 and 87 or between 30 and 87?

With this kind of relay and an electrical pump, no manual override is necessary.
An electric pump can fill one or two carburetors in only a few seconds, so as you turn on ignition switch carburetor is already filled with fuel.
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Rabbit FI relay referenced in this thread. Had friend who is a VW tech at the dealer order it from their supplier. Works flawlessly, no prime switch needed; car does not sit usually more than week if that offers any useable info.
Shane
Nevada Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper electric fuel pump wiring Reply with quote

mailman wrote:
Can someone please help me understand this wiring diagram that I found on the Samba? Thanks to whomever posted the diagram....

I understand the need for the relay; to cut power to the pump in the event the engine dies.

I understand the need (desireability) of the push button over-ride switch; to be able to fill the carb bowl(s) without starting the engine.

What is confusing me is the use of the gen/alt light to trip the relay. I would have thought you would use the oil pressure light. I'm presuming that the pump should be fed power through the relay when the gen/alt light is off (engine running). But, looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like the other way around....that the pump relay would get power when the light is on. What am I not getting, here?

Also, one more thing. What happens if the push button switch is pressed (feeding 12 volts directly to the pump) when the pump is already getting 12 volts supplied through the relay (while engine is running)? Not the normal situation, but it could happen by accident, right?

I'm notoriously bad at posting pictures....but here goes....

Just an update here, I just installed a fuel pump with bone dry carbs using the schematic and relay pictured here.

Priming the carbs is very easy. You do not need to put a button in, all you need to do is run a quick temporary jumper wire (alligator clip) to terminal 87 then touch the other lead to a hot point on the fuse block. Let her run for about 15 seconds and you're good to go!
99% Resto-Custom Daily Driver
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: VW/Audi Relay Reply with quote

I picked up this VW/Audi relay to run with my Carter 3.5 PSI fuel pump. It has the fuse slot and cost $35 (apologies for my poor camera work). 3.300.100 is the KAE part#:

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Bigg Tim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper electric fuel pump wiring Reply with quote

Does anyone have the picture Glenn posted that is no longer available?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Proper electric fuel pump wiring Reply with quote

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bigg Tim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper electric fuel pump wiring Reply with quote

Fantastic! Thank you very much.

I found this other pic and it has pin 87 and 30 swapped. Does this actually matter? Also, the relay I have has a 15amp fuse on the top. Does this eliminate the need for an online fuse on the battery + wire?

j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Proper electric fuel pump wiring Reply with quote

Bigg Tim wrote:
Fantastic! Thank you very much.

I found this other pic and it has pin 87 and 30 swapped. Does this actually matter? Also, the relay I have has a 15amp fuse on the top. Does this eliminate the need for an online fuse on the battery + wire?

Bumping an old thread...

Can terminal 15 go to the positive side of the coil for "switched +12V"?

What about using B+ on an alternator for terminal 30 as the "constant +12V"?
60 vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper electric fuel pump wiring Reply with quote

I too am bumping this old thread. I did this install this week using a 12v, 4-pin, Bosch style, 30-amp fused relay. Everything worked except now, my Alt light stays on with the car running.

I am now trying to resolve this issue.

If it was working properly, I think it should be causing a condition where the voltage is equal on both sides of the lamp, so it goes out (equal voltage on both sides of lamp equals a no current flow situation through lamp filament).

For some reason I have a voltage difference across the Alt filament, and it stays lit up with the bug running.

The only thing I could think of was it might have something to do with different size wire gauges, but even this doesn't entirely make sense to me. Using a multimeter, I measured ~14.2 v on the ignition side and only 8.2 v on the opposite side of the Alt filament.

Any ideas?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper electric fuel pump wiring Reply with quote

j10nbom wrote:
Can terminal 15 go to the positive side of the coil for "switched +12V"?

What about using B+ on an alternator for terminal 30 as the "constant +12V"?

Remember that the positive side of the terminal goes through the ignition switch. The more power you draw through it the switch the more chance it will eventually fail.

The switch and wire are only rated for a specified amperage.

BTW.. electric fuel pumps are pushers and should be mounted under the tank. Easy access to the fuse panel. If you have a tach then you can use that wire for 31b.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: