Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor/Dual Carb Setup
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Distributor/Dual Carb Setup Reply with quote

I'm considering changing the FI to dual carbs in my 2.0 '76 transporter. I've changed the exhaust earlier this year and that seems to have given more oomph to the motor, but I'm looking for a modest bolt-on performance gain. With all the choices of carbs & distributor available, does anyone have a good recommended setup that works for them? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Distributor/Dual Carb Setup Reply with quote

Why are you looking to change? The FI if working correctly gives good power and gets good mpg. To meet the criteria of a good dual carb set up you will most likely be looking at dual 40's for a 2.0 l bus, which if they come with good manifolds and linkages will run about $600 dollars. Most people shy away from the FI because they are uncomfortable working on them, it may be worth it to learn more about the FI before you make your decision. If you do decide to go dual carbs, keep in mind that you will need to change fuel pumps because the FI pump is too high of a pressure. Check out CB performance and aircooled.net. This should get you started.
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Distributor/Dual Carb Setup Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the dual 40's would be the way to go, and switching to an 050 dist. The main reason for me is I find many FI parts harder to find in good shape & pricey. Over time it nickel & dimes my wallet. I'll pay a bit of $$ w/ the carbs & be done with it. I'm more comfortable working with carbs and would rather put my faith in the reliability of a relatively less complex system than be at the mercy of a $230 Cdn fuel pump crapping out on me when I'm in the middle of nowhere. Yes, the Muir & Bentley books spell FI things out pretty clearly, but I'm still leaning towards switching to carbs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Distributor/Dual Carb Setup Reply with quote

After having used the 050 on my 2.0 bus I would recommend staying with the stock dist.
or upgrading to a mallory unilite. I have heard the 050 was designed for the type IV
engine but it did not improve the performance or driveability of my bus at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Distributor/Dual Carb Setup Reply with quote

Wow, I've heard the 050 was a good choice for the 2.0 as well, with the built in higher advance & even pulse for all 4 cylinders. I've got some time before I make my decision, not enough moolah yet. Thanks for the input.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: