Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cross country trip
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Cross country trip Reply with quote

I just bought a 77 Westy a month ago with the plan to use it for a cross country camping trip in late May. Engine has about 106,000 miles on it - 2000cc fuel injected. Named the bus Pippin. Local VW shop had done some work and said engine was very solid - all original parts, etc.
Found a shade tree mechanic to do some work for me - mostly brakes right now. I asked him to do a compression check - it came back 80-80-80-90. He thinks that since the numbers aren't all over the place, we should be OK on our trip.
The engine runs well, although something might be going on with the ignition system - sometimes when you crank it, nothing. Then 2 minutes later, it cranks just fine.
We're taking a week to go out west - all the way to California by way of the Grand Canyon (from GA). Then the bus will get a week of rest while we are in Monterey. Then a week to get home.
Can anyone recommend a mechanic on the Monterey Penninsula if we want to have Pippin looked at while we're there? Anything else we should definitely check before we go? Are we totally crazy for planning a trip like this in an old bus?
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Cross country trip Reply with quote

No that's great! You definitely want to go to the AIRS page on type2.com and print out the pages that have contacts for where you'll be travelling (just in case). The starting thing is not uncommon, and can be fixed with a starter relay, check back in the past threads and someone will have a detailed explanation already written down I'm sure. As an aside, I recommend seeing the valley of fire (http://www.insidervlv.com/valleyoffire.html) and Death Valley (http://www.insidervlv.com/deathvalley.html) on your way from the Grand Canyon to Monterey. If you do Death Valley, then route 178 is a great drive from near Inyokern to Bakersfield too, on your way to the ocean. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Cross country trip Reply with quote

http://www.insidervlv.com/valleyoffire.html
http://www.insidervlv.com/deathvalley.html
its that bracket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ms. Priss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Cross country trip Reply with quote

I bought a spash pan from a guy named Jim Fowler in Monterey who was very nice to deal with online. His email is [email protected]. I assume he's got a shop, but don't know for sure. I was going to look him up this summer when I'm down there. If he asks where you got his name, tell him about the pan, I'm Vicki on Lopez Island, WA. Have a great trip. Vicki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Cross country trip Reply with quote

Thats awesome that your doing that with your bus. I am doing the same thing this summer in my 72, but Ill be going from CO to the east then all the way to the west. Its going to be an all summer trip. Goodluck to you and have a great time.
matt
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Cross country trip Reply with quote

Thanks for the starter relay suggestion, Jeremy! I'll look up that thread. I've looked at the AIRS page before and will print it out.

I told my husband that Death Valley was supposed to be fabulous, but he says Pippin has no a/c, so let's not linger in the desert. I had about 3 desert National Parks on the agenda, but alas, we have only so much time for our trip. Maybe next year!

I'll email the guy in Monterey, Vicki and thanks for the name!

So I guess Pippin's low compression doesn't sound like a trip killer?
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Cross country trip Reply with quote

Compression at 80-80-80-90?? I don't have much experience with the 2000cc engine but that seems awfully low.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Cross country trip Reply with quote

My Type 1 1776 engine is like 155. Sounds like time for a rebuild, piston rings you know.
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Cross country trip Reply with quote

Yeah, those numbers are low. Even, but low. Since they are so even, if it were me, I would do another test just to make sure. Make sure that you get a good seal on the compression tester. I would think that anything below 100lbs on a 2ltr is time to start thinking about a rebuild. A leak down test will tell you if its bad rings or valves.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Cross country trip Reply with quote

those buses are notorious for bad ignition switches you may want ot look there, also if this happens mostly when the engine is hot it may be high resistance at the starter motor.The first thing I would check is the connections at the starter, they can get very corroded. You compression numbers indicate a poor compression gauge, very srange to see such low numbers at all cylinders, get it checked again. If you've only had the bus a month drive it around town as much as you can before your trip. bring a spare clutch cable, throttle cable, alternator belt, and ignition points.This stuff is pretty cheap and definately worth having. Enjoy your trip! I just drove my 74 from San Diego to Ottawa in February, talk about nuts!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Cross country trip Reply with quote

just drove our 68 campmobile from greensburg kentucky to san francisco. just make sure that when you stop to check everything from fuel line clamps to even motor bolts. good luck. jeff
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Cross country trip Reply with quote

I'm hearing you on the ignition switch, Captain Quattro. I'll check the connections. Thanks for the parts list too!

So if the compression is still low on a recheck, are we talking about a rebuild <before> or <after> the big trip? It's only 3 weeks away.

Marina
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Cross country trip Reply with quote

Georgia to California on 80/90 lbs of compression? Even in my devil-may-care youth I would not attempt this. On the recheck if you have at least 100 lbs on all cylinders AND if everything else checks out AND if you have a competent mechanic go over everything....Then have a wonderful trip!

Larry in Ocean Beach - (yes, California)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Cross country trip Reply with quote

Yeah I would not go on such a trip with such low compression numbers. You figure your Bus will be loaded up with stuff, too.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Cross country trip Reply with quote

if, like most of us, you are on a first name basis with mr. murphy, i would recommend doing a hard-core thrash rebuild before you leave- if you don't fix it now, you WILL have to fix it later, usually not at a time or place of your choosing. But, first, adjust your valves, then re-test compression, and see if the result is any different. Ob's advice above is spot on the money.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: