Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3 cyl bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: 3 cyl bus Reply with quote

ok. let me tell you what is going on. i buy this 74 westy for an awesome price last week. the guy was bringing it from the west and he said it starting losing power going up hills. after taking it into a shop the mech. told him it would be $2000 to rebuild the engine. i am a mechanic myself and after hearing the engine i can tell you it indeed is only running on thre cyls. my questions to you vw experts is, where should i start? i have heard the 1800cc's were notorious for burning exhaust valves, could a valve be so far out of adjustment that i would be losing compression, could there be a common electrical problem. i have a service manual on order but i want to make her go NOW. i guess i was hoping for some guidance on some kind of sequence to trouble shoot starting with the most common problems. thanks for your help.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: 3 cyl bus Reply with quote

keep it simple, start with a compression test, if you find one cylinder with no compression it probably dropped a valve, what happens is the seats come loose and then its all over, valve salad. you will have to pull the head and see what happened, this can be done with the motor still in the bus. if compression is good it would be running on all four by now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: