Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scooter's '68' Restoration
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... three+ years later. Lovin this thread, but an abrupt end? Any updates?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
John Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you back at it. I cleaned up the garage last weekend and plan on sneaking out there for a little while this weekend.

slafa wrote:
Any suggestions will be appreciated even if they suck and are stupid.
scooter8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief, it's been over a year since I updated this Crying or Very sad Sorry boys & girls.

Well I had some metal cut-in several months ago. I found a donor '69' at the pull-n-pay, got a front quarter for $30 Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mine was crunched pretty good and had several tears in it so I switched it out

Fit like a glove right over the original body

We put in the fresh air grill before welding to check the fit

Head lamps were in typical Ghia style, had to go

Replaced the metal where the turn signal was too

Right side behind the mud sill had a hole

replaced

I knew the left side was worse, it was scary bad

um...yeah Shocked

We dug out the rust and treated it real good, put my friends skills to the test. Had to cut more metal than expected, didn't have replacement pieces so he had to fab-up some metal. Turned out great as always Very Happy

Z+9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subcribed. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EPETREA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info... and welcome back. I havent done anything as far as the blasting yet due to an emergency kitchen project that has my car sidelined since july. I found a shop that will finish up the blasting in the areas for about 200 but I still am considering it. I have yet to get my compressor so the info helps.. thanks again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scooter8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, where has the time gone. Many apologies for letting this thread slip off the charts and to keep you guys hanging on so long. Not too much real progress over the past 6-8 months, just been collecting, cleaning & blasting parts. Well that and I bought a '60' Single Cab that I've been playing with too Rolling Eyes
EPETREA wrote:
Hey scott, was eyeballing your blaster and was wondering what size of compressor you were using with it and overall how well did it perform? I need to do some blasting in the tight spots before painting the pan. how is your car coming along?

Hope I'm not too late to reply to you EPETREA.

I started out using a 30gal, 6hp (I think) and the compressor wouldn't keep up with the blaster. It would work great for about 30sec then slow down considerably. I hooked it up to my buddies 60gal ?hp and it kicked butt. I wouldn’t recommend it for a whole car unless you have lots of time, the pan wasn’t too bad. I use it now mainly for the smaller parts, nuts, bolts, clips, did the beam, spindles, brake parts, backing plates, mud sills, ect…. I will also use it on the body to get into those tight places I can't grind or sand. It’s nothing to brag about but I like it OK, it's perform well enough. Cost me about $70, bought 2 bags of media for about $30, it’s more than paid for itself. I try to catch as much of the material as possible and sift it through a paint strainer and reuse it.

I have been cutting in some new metal, I’ll post some pics ASAP.

later
Scott
EPETREA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey scott,, was eyeballing your blaster and was wondering what size of compressor you were using with it and overall how well did it perform? I need to do some blasting in the tight spots before painting the pan. how is your car coming along?
scooter8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Miller wrote:
It's spring now, any updates?

Sorry not yet John, just lousy excuses. Weather still playing a key roll but it's definatly getting spring like here so updates very soon.

Thanks for checking in
John Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's spring now, any updates?

slafa wrote:
scooter8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPETREA wrote:
Nothing new?? c'mon I need my fix.....

Laughing Sorry man, work got busy (took away my weekends) then it got cold has hell here in the Rockies. We had a couple weeks where it never got above 10° Shocked Hard to get anything done when your fingers don't work Wink
EPETREA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing new?? c'mon I need my fix.....
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectre6000 wrote:

Quote:
...I prefer a Japanese pull saw to any other type of saw on the market...

Makes sense given its from the land of the samarai sword and ginzu knife!!!
scooter8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooter 60 wrote:
Wow Scott, I really enjoyed your thread I somehow missed it over the past months my bad i am not a patient man with the www. a few things we have in common great first name, great Samba ID and soon to be great cars both in progress. I have a 1960 KG Vert in process. I wish i was more hands on like so many in the VW community. I have a few pictures posted but I really need to post more. I will share all my pain I have had a few bout with the cancer also.
Anyway great car and i will follow your update closely.

Cheers,
Scott AKA Scooter

Hey Scott
WOW a '60' vert....I'm jealous Cool Glad you are enjoying the thread. I know how most of you guys are junkies when it comes to pictures and a diaries of resto projects Razz

Got my nick-name from my dad, had to add the '8' when the site rejected the name 'Scooter'.

I know where Chandler is, my mom lives in Green Valley. Might have to adjust my route next time I head down to pass through Chandler.

Scott too
Scooter 60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Scott, I really enjoyed your thread I somehow missed it over the past months my bad i am not a patient man with the www. a few things we have in common great first name, great Samba ID and soon to be great cars both in progress. I have a 1960 KG Vert in process. I wish i was more hands on like so many in the VW community. I have a few pictures posted but I really need to post more. I will share all my pain I have had a few bout with the cancer also.
Anyway great car and i will follow your update closely.

Cheers,
Scott AKA Scooter
[/img]
scooter8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectre6000 wrote:
Your house is probably made of 2X4s. I'll bet your roof weighs a bit more than a vw. 2X4s are more than up to that kind of load if you think like a bridge.

Oh I agree with you Jason, not trying to dispute 2x4 aren't adequate. Heck, 4x4 posts hold up decks that weight well over 1000lbs. Didn't give it that much thought really.

spectre6000 wrote:
My fiance and I have moved the body of my Ghia around a few times between us. It was a bit of a strain and she refuses to do it again.

That's funny, my wife said the same thing after lifting mine a couple times. Silly girls Rolling Eyes Laughing

Scott
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your house is probably made of 2X4s. I'll bet your roof weighs a bit more than a vw. My fiance and I have moved the body of my Ghia around a few times between us. It was a bit of a strain and she refuses to do it again. The Beetle is like a feather. 2X4s are more than up to that kind of load if you think like a bridge. If 4X4s make you feel better though, go for it. It's not going to hurt; just be bulkier, weigh more, and use more wood.

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
scooter8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Miller wrote:
My garage door clearance is exactly 74". This could get interesting. The only thing now is trying to guess how much suspension lift I'll get when the body is off. Thanks again for the measurements.

Yeah that's gonna be close. Well like I mentioned, I had about 5-6" between the top of my shock towers to my frame and that's with no motor or body. Seems like you should be able to drop if enough to squeeze it by.

John Miller wrote:
Just my opinion, those 4x4's are not overkill they are the minimum. If me, or in Scooter8's case, his daughter are going to be around or under it I don't want to have to worry about it collapsing.

Well for a few dollars more (buying 4x4's) I liked the peace of mind knowing the same thing, nothing to worry about with a little overkill Wink

That and every other dolley I've ever seen used 4x4.
John Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My garage door clearance is exactly 74". This could get interesting. The only thing now is trying to guess how much suspension lift I'll get when the body is off. Thanks again for the measurements.

Just my opinion, those 4x4's are not overkill they are the minimum. If me, or in Scooter8's case, his daughter are going to be around or under it I don't want to have to worry about it collapsing.

slafa wrote:
scooter8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jason
Thanks for the input. Yeah I thought the 4x4's were overkill too but oh vell Wink

Scott

Last edited by scooter8 on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A swing axle with no load but the chassis itself stands 25". That is with 51 year old suspension under it of course, newer springs might make it taller. If you add in an engine with cooling system in place you're looking at a total of about 37" clearance needed to be able to go completely over the chassis. That said, if you run the cross member directly under the cross member instead of through the wheel wells, the rear apron may give you a bit more to play with. My Beetle with no weight in it on the above mentioned chassis is about 10" high at the rockers and 14" high at the rear apron (mine is anyway... it's got a few dents back there that may be throwing off my measurements), so there appears to be a 4" difference between the two. Cross member to cross member on either a Beetle or a Ghia seems to be about 69" from center to center. That was a tough measurement to get by myself in the crowded garage, so it may not be the most accurate. From outside of a positive camber swing axle with 5 1/2" wheels (same mentioned above) it is 65". The height of a Beetle body from rocker to roof appears to be 50", while a Ghia is about 44"-45". My garage door seems fairly average and is only about 70" tall. Do the math and you'll see that everything isn't really going to add up if you intend to be able to wheel the body out of the garage as well as the chassis (if you don't need to roll it, obviously loose the casters). The casters I just got are 3" tall, one set of locking swivel casters, one set of just straight fixed casters. I bought 2 12' 2X6s and 1 10' 2X6, and an 8' 4X4. That was enough for all of the major dimensions and plenty of wiggle room for bracing, mistakes, and maybe a hump in the cross member to go over the bell housing of the transaxle if I need a bit more clearance than I'm otherwise afforded.

A bit of constructive criticism for the next guy that tries to build a body dolly like this: I noticed that Scooter used all 4X4s and butt joints (end grain to side grain). 4X4s are overkill, and you could easily get away with 2X4s if you use them on end as opposed to flat (4" of wood is 4" of wood if you keep it from twisting). I went with 2X6s for no reason other than they looked to be generally better quality (2X4s get picked over pretty quick at the big box hardware stores). Also, butt joints (where the end of one piece is connected to the side of another piece) is rarely a good idea outside of marquetry. I picked up 4X4s for the vertical pieces for the sole purpose of having 4" worth of side grain to screw my 2X6s to on both sides, and again the 2X4s were sorry looking (an alternative would be to stack a smaller piece of 2X4 at the end where the cross members meet so that there are two of the 2" faces together to create a 4" face). Another point of note for those shopping for materials, take into account that a 2X4/2X6/4X4 is rarely that; you can usually subtract about a quarter inch from those measurements.

Also, for those without the "luxury" of powered woodworking tools I've done a fair amount of wood working (guitars mostly) and I prefer a Japanese pull saw to any other type of saw on the market powered or otherwise. There is a cheap-o version of a Japanese pull saw available at most Home Depot/Lowes for around $20 that will save you a lot of trouble. The difference between this method of cutting and the traditional Western wood saw is the direction of the cut. A Western saw cuts on the push stroke and a Japanese saw cuts on the pull. If you think about the muscles involved in each of the motions, you'll realize that the larger muscle by far (bicep) is responsible for the pull stroke and the smaller, more easily fatigued muscle (tricep) is responsible for the push stroke. Traditional Japanese saws are also made of a much stronger alloy and are much sharper than their Western counterparts, but you're not likely to find such things at the hardware store. Also when compared to power tools, hand tools give you MUCH more control and accuracy in your cuts, they're safer, and it's very relaxing compared to the loud high pitched teeth clenching screams of most power tools. The only reason power tools are preferred is when cutting huge quantities of identical pieces. Most of my tools are rosewood and cast iron and are about 100 years old (a well tuned hand plane can cut a piece of wood to almost a mirror finish; needless to say I rarely use sandpaper). Enough of that though...

This is what I mean by Japanese style saw (start the cut on the fine toothed side, switch to the coarse side when you're not likely to skip out of the cut, it cuts a lot faster than you'd think):
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=88288-414-BS250D&lpage=none

This is a Western style saw (sheer brute strength):
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=88359-355-20-065&lpage=none

Probably more than anyone cared to know, but maybe that will help someone.

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: