Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Surfboard Rack!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worry with the board coming off. I have had the same set up on my Jeep Wrangler (Flat windshield and bar above it) and have gone 60 MPH+ without lifting or losing a board. The normal way to carry a board is fins first and as far back as possible so that there is a minimal airfoil. I will post a proper picture tomorrow with pads and bungies on properly.

The nose first would be for display only, car shows etc!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfnc wrote:
Siggy
I have something like that in the works. I was thinking about making a bar that would work with a top on (soft/hard). Instead of attaching to the top of the frame it would attach to the sides kind of like the bars that go on Jeep CJs or Wranglers. I just need to come up with something for the back bar.

Vince -

"Back bar" idea here - with top on the buggy, you could use a band clamp around the rollbar vertical, and attach it just above your seatbelt shoulder strap mounting point. Then make a C-shaped bar to go over the top of the buggy top, and attach it onto the clamp's excess bolt length with wingnuts. Borla exhaust has a stainless steel exhaust band clamp for @ $20+ each that could offer you an idea... http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://esto...n%26sa%3DN

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Another option might be to use mirror clamps on the rollbar, and bend your C-shaped bar, use studs in the ends of the bar, said studs going down through the mounting holes in the clamp, and attach with a wingnut.

Dan's Performance Parts (www.dansperformanceparts.com) has some nice clamp options that could be used as a starting point. depending on your rollbar tubing diameter -

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www....%26hl%3Den

bnc
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan
Excellent Suggestions Very Happy Very Happy I had thought about the mirror clamps, but wanted to keep it lower profile. I think that the exhaust clamp is the ticket! I will let you know what I come up with. Thanks for your help. Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics of board on buggy as I would drive it at higher speed.

Board is arched with tail curved down. This actually allows air do push it down on to rack. This is why boards are carried deck or top down so that the "rocker" or curve is down. If you turned it the other way it would tend to lift. Also when you glass a board the bottom usually has only 1 layer of glass on it and the top or deck has 2 layers on it. This makes it stronger on the deck and helps keep the deck from compressing or being dinged when you stand on it and keeps the racks from doing the same.

Here is a closer shot of the bungie. You want to have it tight enough that the board will not pull up easily but not too tight or it will dig into the board and leave a depression. You also want to have the hook of the bungie out board so that it cannot twist and come undone. Also by carrying the board fins first it keeps the board from sliding back under the bungie and getting away.

I have been surfing for over 30 years and carrying boards this way on Jeeps and the like for over 25 and have had no problem.
Zcarnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That front bumper could have been mine...sigh Wink

Vince,where do you order your windshield and frame from?
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott
The bumper on the Manx is brand new. I still have the other one if you would like it. PM if you are interested.

Windshield is from Dino at Bugshields. He makes just about all of them that anybody sells including the Manx club.

http://bugshieldsbydino.com/
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some racks made up.

This one would allow you to use a top. I am working on a rack to go on the roll bar to hold the back of the board. (could also be used as a light bar)

This one is like my first one.

They were a bit pricey. The larger one was $200 my cost, the smaller one was $130 my cost. They are made with 3/4" aluminum tubing and tig welded to mirror brackets so they can be removed. I may be able to get the cost down if I had a larger number made. PM me if anyone is interested.

I did find a great source for the mirror brackets!

Tom at TJ Kustoms is now carrying them and is a great guy to work with!!

Vince
VolkswagenGerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfnc wrote:
The normal way to carry a board is fins first and as far back as possible so that there is a minimal airfoil. I will post a proper picture tomorrow with pads and bungies on properly.

The nose first would be for display only, car shows etc!

X2,
In other words when the fin is to tre rear it is a dead give away that a person it either a total beginer or novice or not a surfer at all..
Often refered to in the surfing world as a "KOOK"

One definition...found on web.
kook, a kook is a poser who turns up in the beach car park wearing a top of the range wetsuit and carrying a spanking new surfboard, checks the surf for an hour before actually going in, when it is so obviously pumping, then when he enters the water proceeds to splash around like a drowning rabbit. tip stay at home

HEY SURF NC... Nice Fish did you shape that?
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry
Thanks! I did shape, paint, and glass that fish. (My son won't let me have it back though)

I also made this one for Bruce for his "Kick-Out".

"Faux balsa" paint with glass on fins.

Vince
Mr572u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Surf board rack Reply with quote

Would you be interested in making another rack to sell?
StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

surfnc wrote:
As some of you may know I build surfboards and surf when I get the chance. So I had to have a way to carry a board or 2 on my buggy. I wanted to make sure that it would be strong enough, resist the elements here at the beach, and be removable. So here is what I came up with.

Nice! an old (new?) twin fin!
I used to shred the crap out of those at Salt Creek

I'm trying to build a rack for my buggy to hold my 12' aluminum boat so I can zoom from beach to beach in Baja, get some fishing in!
VW Aircooled Society
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

We are getting ready to launch a Dune Buggy Surfboard Kit this summer 2017
Tune in soon...

We also developed this Manual Hand Wiper System:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

Hello Folks. I copied Surfnc's design but I didn't weld it. I took 2 mirror mounts and ran round head hex key bolts through a nylon spacer then into a 1" 1/2 piece of flat Aluminum about 24" long for the front. I needed the spacer so the buckle would fit between the mount and windshield. The rollbar supports the back of the boards. I just made up some 1" nylon webbing with plastic buckles on the ends from the hardware store. Wrapped around the boards and through the mount and the rollbar and they stay put. I surf 3-4 times a week and have driven with 2 9'6" longboards from Santa Barbra to San Diego and they have stayed secured. Even on the freeway. I hope this helps. I wanted it not to be too obvious when there were no boards on it. I now use some soft racks around the rollbar not to pressure ding the boards. Here are some pics. Thank you Surfnc for the idea.

surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

Glassy Guy, nice work! I really like that it is so low on the windshield. Definitely has a very clean look. Nice buggy as well, also very clean!
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

Thank you so much Surfnc. Your builds and work were great inspiration and guidance while I was building mine.

Sent you a PM.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

That's some fine looking clearcoat GG. It's a beauty ...and you paddle out too. I'd be surprised you don't find a bunch of people sitting in it for pictures when you get out of the water.

Jim
Manx #2614
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

Thank you Wetstuff. You're right about that. People always want to take pics and talk. Which I love. I have come out of the water and found folks taking pics of the buggy. They flip out when I ask them if they want to sit in it and have their picture taken. The way I see it is owning one of these wonderful cars I have to share the joy, passion and excitement with others. It's just so fun. Thank you Bruce Meyers for making the best car I'll ever own.
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

Richie
I could not have said it better!

Vince
buggy-gabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

SURFNC, New Samba member here. Any chance you still have surfboard racks for sale?
I'll be in N. Myrtle Beach in August and wanting to mount a longboard to my buggy.
Thanks
VW Aircooled Society
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

buggy-gabe wrote:
SURFNC, New Samba member here. Any chance you still have surfboard racks for sale?
I'll be in N. Myrtle Beach in August and wanting to mount a longboard to my buggy.
Thanks

We should be launching the Surfboard kit by mid March 2018
It has taken a bit of finagling but we are almost there to keep the costs low for the end user.
The first kit will be offered in Black and the fitment is right on the money.

Send us an email so we can add you to the list: [email protected]

Last edited by VW Aircooled Society on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: