Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stock FI questions
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: stock FI questions Reply with quote

so i just picked up a late square... floors are totaled... but it have some usable parts for my fasty, like the front clip is in good shape, the fenders are great etc...

also it has all the factory FI on it,
also it appears to have stock AC.

i dont know crap about type 3s really im just learning, but i want to put the stock FI back into my fastback.
i know carbs pretty good, but im a dummy when it comes to FI.

the motor was "supposed to run" when it was parked a few years ago.
i could care less about that i just want the FI crap from it.. since i dont have a bently yet, i have a few questions..

where is the FI controller located, and what parts should i try to salvage fron that systems fi setup and what should i just replace with new?

edit: i just noticed TRAMS sticky, i guess ill start reading that and see if i find anything useful in it.

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: stock FI questions Reply with quote

grimace007 wrote:

where is the FI controller located

the FI ECU is in the side panel on the driver's side, above the engine bay...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks =)

im ony page 6 of the sticky.. lol i think its gunna take me a few days

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LesTroyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the hardest part about understanding FI is that to go faster, you add more air, to increase idle speed you add more air.....

Just look at the throttle cable -- it hooks up to a butterfly that -- you guessed it -- controls the air to the engine. The computer will try and adjust the duration of the gas pulse to match the amount of air going to the engine, as it "sees" the throttle opening up it will add a little extra gas, but I think that is the exception...

This explains why vacuum leaks are so bad -- it fools the system on how much air is going to the engine....

LEs

Les

1972 Fasty -- more or less stock (1600, FI...)
1971 Square
1966 Fasty body on IRS pan --
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool that puts it in a way easy to understand

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:

cr@M wrote:

paulie walnuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To me the hardest part about understanding FI is that to go faster, you add more air, to increase idle speed you add more air.....

indeed funny for FI. however this is pretty much what all internal combustion engines are - just air pumps with a little sweet hit of flammable hooch at the right moment to make it burn with all that air. hence - liters displacement of an engine is bore diameter x stroke x # of cylinders is actually just saying how much volume of air those cylinders will hold.
+ Chevy work truck.

wish list: late 60's early 70's 911 E or T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wuzmop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, I know a whole lot about T3 EFI. I can help you out with it. If you want to stop by one day I can give you a crash course on my 69.
71 Bus
91 Cabby
www.aircoolers.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET, hows this weekend sound bro?

sunday good for you?

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:

cr@M wrote:

wuzmop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should work.
71 Bus
91 Cabby
www.aircoolers.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm me yer # and adress man

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:

cr@M wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: