Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eskachig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If you are just doing a wheel swap and don't intend to be under the van while the wheel is off, then just use a jack, no stand necessary.

You know, that's a good point, I'm probably paranoid.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

Double post, delete

Last edited by Wildthings on Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

If you are just doing a wheel swap and don't intend to be under the van while the wheel is off, then just use a jack, no stand necessary.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

eskachig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

Somehow after reading through this thread I still feel clueless about how to lift the van. I have some 3-ton jackstands with flat tops that I got for the bmw, and a harbor freight jack. The stands are these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019JVIPM/

I am not even lifting the whole van, I'm trying to do a wheel swap. Are 3-ton stands safe enough with three other wheels on the ground? Can I put the flat part of the stand under the springs and jack from the frame behind the official jack points? should I just use the emergency jack that fits into them instead of my Harbor Freight one?
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

I have 'ordered' one from a local wrecker for pick up this weekend - never used and includes the storage bag for $50, so I am set. Thanks for the insights on this issue.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

After seeing the thread above I wondered about the Toyota jack for years and finally plunked down $7K to get one.

I use screw jacks all the time. Have several on hand, from Toyotas, Nissans, and Dodge Trucks. Great if you are just taking one wheel off and don't intend to actually get under the vehicle. Also good for just raising one wheel enough to add a 2x6 or 4x6 under the tire. The Dodge one has a really large base so is quite stable.

One thing I like about screw jacks over hydraulic jacks is you have precise control when lowering the vehicle, say if you are trying to get the holes lined up to put a lug bolt in.
aidanp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

cellerdoor wrote:
Like Calo, I also invested in a new jack stand:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I spent years with the jack and ramps which served me well but I needed to create more parking area so I got the lift. It has a sliding hydraulic jack, so I still need to position it at the lift points and can only lift one end of the van at a time.

72" clear under the ramps.
That is a nice setup, I'm probably going to do the same myself.
aidanp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

cellerdoor wrote:

I spent years with the jack and ramps which served me well but I needed to create more parking area so I got the lift. It has a sliding hydraulic jack, so I still need to position it at the lift points and can only lift one end of the van at a time.

That is a nice setup, I'm probably going to do the same myself.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
A "For What It's Worth" comment.....

The stock VW jacks are far from good.

I ended up carrying a Toyota Pickup jack in my spare tire rim.

It is a much safer way to lift your vehicle while on the road, no matter where you decide to place it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=80

Dave

After seeing the thread above I wondered about the Toyota jack for years and finally plunked down $7K to get one.

It came with a free pick-up truck. Laughing

Link

The stock jack from a 2003 Toyota Tundra is 8" tall...

...and goes to nearly 20" tall...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

FWIW: OP graphic from first post currently missing...reproduced here for posterity:

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

A "For What It's Worth" comment.....

The stock VW jacks are far from good.

I ended up carrying a Toyota Pickup jack in my spare tire rim.

It is a much safer way to lift your vehicle while on the road, no matter where you decide to place it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=80

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
inorganic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

cellerdoor wrote:

Can you please tell me more about the rack set up you have?!? this is AMAZING WOW!
cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

Here's pictures of the jack points:

A and C

B and D

3 - Due to whats connected to this bar I would not jack here:

cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

SnoopyPod91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

Hey Calo you willing to show ua a picture of what that looks like? I am all for things that will make this easier as I get older!!!!
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

I don't want to sound like a snob, but i invested in a mid height lift that resides under my van, i have it up in the air constantly. I use A,B,C and D. Its made my life so much easier. Im getting to old to be crawling under the van!
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Jack and Jack Stand support points? Reply with quote

I have lifted my GL with a jack using the Bostig engine cradle many times. It is a completely different arrangement than the stock engine support system. I always put a good sturdy wood 'spacer' between the jack or jack stand and the frame members. Jacking at the rear lower control arm right where it pivots at the chassis can lever the whole van off of any other supports you have under it. I have done it and it's scary to have the whole van shift position on you.

John
japio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

I also don't drive up onto ramps anymore. I jack the van up one side at a time and slide the ramps under neath it.. ramps can be too flaky and slide or such.. and if you drive over them you have to pull the jack out anyways to get it out from under the newly damaged body panel.

If you put a piece of material like transportbelt or something similar around the lower rung of the ramp, and you drive over that on the ramp, it stays put. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cult-of-speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never doing that again!

Glad I checked. Used to be the way I would raise the front of my 95' M3 because of how low it sat and how little clearance I had.

The more you know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: