Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 Ignition Coil-special?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktasche1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: 79 Ignition Coil-special? Reply with quote

Hey all,

Could someone explain why my '79 California emissions bus needs a "special" ignition coil. I was under the impression that a coil is either 6V or 12V. Hence, I put a normal old 12V coil in was told that it was "wrong" because it was made for a system with points (which the 79 doesn't have).

Thanks.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: 79 Ignition Coil-special? Reply with quote

Although I don't know if a points coil will work, their are differences in the primary resistance between the 2. 79's do reqire the electronic ign. coil, so sticking with an oem coil would be a good choice.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: 79 Ignition Coil-special? Reply with quote

The windings are different and Bentley states not to use a normal coil or else the elecronic ignition will be damaged. I saw a 79 CA coil in the classifieds back in March but the ad seems to have been deleted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: 79 Ignition Coil-special? Reply with quote

I have a '79 CA Emissions Bus and my coil dropped dead on me in Erie, PA last summer on the way back to NY from OH. I pulled off an exit, got the the closest Autozone (what a long walk) and they had the coil in stock, $15 and I was back on the road. I made sure it was listed for the CA Emissions cause I know the coils are different. I have been running that coil ever since with no troubles at all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: