Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Tires
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Tires Reply with quote

I've been trying to find some 205-70-R14's in a load range C, for my vanagon,nobody seems to make them, the widest I can find is a 185-r-14,anyone know if there is such a tire in load range c ?
Tom in Vt.
Deaffy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Tires Reply with quote

The Vanagon Westys call for a reinforced 185/14 tire on the stock rim. I'm not sure what it is for a Vanagon, but it's probably similar. Frankly, I've never heard of a tire in the 205/70 range that would be suitable for the bulk that Vanagons have to contend with, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there.

That said, I have had the Bridgestone 603V/D loads that wore pretty well, and currently run a set of Yokohama Y356/D loads. I know others that swear by the Goodyear Agilis, too. I don't have to battle snow or ice, but I do live in an area that has powerful sidewinds, and the reinforced tires really help with control.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Tires Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, I've got a 91 carat/wlfy w/the Vw mags, the last tires were Yokohamas also, but they don't make the load c in that size anymore....
I just hate going to a narrower tire, they ride & look good, the search continues.I do have a winter set if It goes out after Oct.
Tom in Vt.
D.Russell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Tires Reply with quote

195/75 -14 at "Go Westy" ?

http://www.gowesty.com/Merchant2/merchant.php?Scre...heelstires
oldschool84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan here in Syracuse helped direct me to some all season tires that are Vredstein Comtracks. I decided to get 195 14Cs instead of 185s to have a little more rubber.

Generally I like them - the ride seems a little smoother in town around rough streets and they might have more stability on the highway but I'm not sure about that - still get blown around a good bit. I was driving this morning on a 5 mile back dirt road that was really rough in some spots. The tires worked great and rode over a lot of rough stuff. All this said, the van feels considerably less powered than it had been with the stock style Hankook 185s. I don't love that trade off, but all seasons are going to be key for driving in rougher weather or back roads.

The only other slight disadvantage to these tires is that because they're directional you can just rotate the tires front to back before remounting them to rotate.
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Gremax Capturars all-seasons from Mavis in 205/70R14 (or whatever the stock size for the alloy wheels is). They are rated XL at 98S load. Not much above spec, but there.

They have been fine both around town and on long highway drives. Some snowy roads earlier in the year and they were fine. Nothing like my B5 A4 Quattro with snow tires, but that's to be expected.

Some buffeting on the highway with semis, but certainly not excessive.

I do not have the experience with many other tires to say that these are a top choice, but so far they are performing well on my Tintop.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bringing back a 2003 thread ???? 12 years...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584507&sid=325bdb36a014b9bf785f0ba3fa1499f7

Very Happy
alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT Champiro from Americas Tire 205/70/14 XL 50psi (made in Indonesia)
I run them on a tintop. They provide a nice ride and some extra load margin in my application.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yokohama Geolandar AT-S:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A/T-S

I run 'em from Washington down to Baja every year and across to the East Coast and back every other year. No complaints.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that size you will only find XL (extra load) tires, truck tires (e.g. with a Load Range instead of a Load Index) don't come in this size. This is the stock size on the alloy equipped vans. Look for a 98 load index XL or above. 185R14 and 195R14 sizes have multiple manufacturers with Load C and D tires and fit the alloys. Check out the ultimate tire thread in the stickies.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: