Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

westy propane tank problems
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: westy propane tank problems Reply with quote

Good evening everyone...I posted a few days ago about my 79 westy not starting. I found a pipe that was disconnected from the intake manifold and like magic, she runs again. just drove 270 miles to cape cod, and all is ok. Thanks for any posts about my previous problem. One individual asked about the low miles and possibility of the engine suffering from "no use". The man who owned it before me seldom drove it, but it was used on a yearly basis typically in the summer. compression is fine, and after a tune up it passed emissions and seems to run strong and cool, even cruising 60mph on the highway. So here is my new question...I am trying out the various "camping" equipment to see what works and what doesn't. The sink works great, as does the fridge, but I tried to use the stove and I ran into a problem. I turned on the valve at the tank itself and was greeted by a massive propane leak from the valve knob. I imagine this valve and knob need to be replaced but where can one get parts for these odd little tanks? Will regular propane regulators and valves work? I'm not too comfy working with flammable liquids and worry about messing something up. I'm handy with mechanics but should I leave this to a pro? And who might this pro be? Thanks in advance for any help with this one.
Deaffy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: westy propane tank problems Reply with quote

Try www.busdepot.com, or www.gowesty.com. They carry some stove parts.

Barring any luck with these two places, there is always www.bus-boys.com.

At any rate, I'm like you and don't like fooling with my propane system. Too many images of human flambe` enter my mind. Worst comes to worst, go to a local RV dealership that does repairs and see what they can do. The fridge also has components that can can be serviced at a dealer that handles Dometic products.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: westy propane tank problems Reply with quote

Those 25 year old tanks are pretty scary and lack the modern safety features. I haven't got around to dealing with my yet (currently in storage) but I will probably replace it with this:

http://tinyurl.com/bt9n

http://www.gowesty.com/Merchant2/merchant.php?Scre...ry_Code=vp
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: westy propane tank problems Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that the PO cut out one of the shelves under the sink in order to put in a small portable tank and the copper tubing has also been rerouted. I assume he must have had it hooked up to the stove at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: westy propane tank problems Reply with quote

The best thing to do is get a new tank from Bus Depot. I know it is a lot of money, byt the new ones have the overfill protection and all new hardware. I have 6 westies and have found the only replacement parts that will fit have to be off another westy tank. RV places don't have anything compatable (except requlators). By the way, there is a good reason why the tank is mounted outside, so get rid of any idea of using patched in tank under the sink.
Another note, when opening the valve on the propane tank, always open it all the way until the handle stops. This seals a second seat that takes the preasure load off the packing. Even fairly new valves that don't get used much can leak a little in the in between position.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: westy propane tank problems Reply with quote

Richard, I see GoWesty offers a bracket kit for bay buses because that is a Vanagon tank. But it would be nice if they mentioned that you will also need a LOT longer hose to go to the stove! That tank is longer and skinner than a bay tank and the exit will point to the rear when you mount it under a bay.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: westy propane tank problems Reply with quote

Another option is to see if a propane supplies dealership will be able to fit an overfill protection nob before getting a new tank. I dont know if it will work or not but its worth trying before spending 289$

2ndly) a propane take can either be a torpedo or a bomb in a car accident. I wont even transport a tank inside a car, much less drive around with it. So I agree with the other posters
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: westy propane tank problems Reply with quote

Last I checked, the overfill protection device (basically a float like in your commode) was only required on portable vertical tanks, not horizontal/permanent tanks. I'm all for safety, but this is another example of protecting us from ourselves. The tank is just a tank, you can replace the regulator assembly yourself if you want. Drain the tank in a safe location then remove the regulator. Now is a good time to clean the tank so it looks more presentable to the guy who will be filling it. You may be able to have a propane dealer fix the assembly or you can replace with a new assembly. After reassembly, have the tank filled and recheck ALL of your connections with a soapy water solution or one of the commercial leak detectors. As for the plumbed in line under the cabinet, I would probably take it out and run a new line.

If you want to be able to hook up an additional tank, I would have the propane dealer fit a connection to the regulator assembly so you can piggyback another tank. If you want to forgo all of this hassle, take the old lines and tank out. Go to a propane dealer and have them fit a hose that runs from the stove connection to an outside regulator so that you can hook up a portable tank. You can buy 5gal (you're stock tank is just under 3gal) tanks that are OPD compliant, much easier to get filled, and you don't have to carry them around when you aren't camping.

Gas lines aren't that big a deal if you use some common sense, check for leaks, and keep a fire extenguisher handy while working.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: