Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

grinding going into 2nd gear
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: grinding going into 2nd gear Reply with quote

Earlier this winter, during one of our coldest days here, I shifted into 2nd gear and got a bad grind. The 2nd gear grinding persisted... I adjusted the clutch some, but 2nd gear still grinds, unless I time the shift very carefully and slow. Downshifting into 2nd grinds regardless of timing or engine rpm.

Did I bend or break my 2nd gear synchro? 67 sedan, all stock, and trans is rebuilt, stock 1600DP, new mounts, coupler and bushing, and all other gears shift fine. any way to fix it without tearing the trans down?

Thanks!
j. risk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suspect a bad syncro, unfortunately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you using for gear oil.
I have heard rumors that some synthetics, or GL5 will cause syncro's to not work the best in the older VW transmissions.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chiroracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncros,try different lube or double clutch and match revs. S
69 class 11 racecar
70 class 11 prerunner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncros for sure. good news is you can still drive for some time with wearing syncros. not an immediate cause for alarm. i have been driving with bad syncros on one of my rigs for 4 years now, interesting it hasn't gotten any worse Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
I have heard rumors that some synthetics, or GL5 will cause syncro's to not work the best in the older VW transmissions.

urban legend
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akokarski wrote:
Russ Wolfe wrote:

urban legend

BS, I have been building these trannies for over 40 years. How long you been doing them.
GL5 doesn't destroy the syncros, they just don't work as well.
But GL4 will destroy a T-2/T-3/T-4 differential.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
..... GL4 will destroy a T-2/T-3/T-4 differential.
I'll agree with that.
Type 1 too.
Bren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, for the original posters specific situation, what specific gear oil would you switch to? I am having the same problem. Is there a gear oil that will really make a difference here?

www.thegoodvolks.com
www.us131msp.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
estofer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with my 66. I am just dealing with the grind until I can get a new tranny!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the old oil was really heavy/thick stuff then you might see a bit of improvement if you put in synthetic. Synthetic oils lubricate better at lower temps, and generally run a little smoother. But.... just changing gear oil is not going instantly "fix" a bad syncro. Especially one that sounds as bad as this - it grinds even if you try to match engine RPMs with tranny? not good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: