Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Very odd 2.1 issue
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Very odd 2.1 issue Reply with quote

I've been on a road trip since March and I've slowly been working out the bugs in my Westy as I travel.

I have a 84 Westy with a auto trans which I installed a 2.1 from a 86 van. I used the 84 cooling system but the 86 fuel injection and electronics.

I've slowly made progress with making it run pretty well, but I have a strange issue I can't seem to figure out.

When the van is cold, it starts up and runs "ok" but not perfect. Once it's hot the van runs great. However the strange issue, is once the van is hot, if I turn the engine off like I'm going to a store then start it again, it runs really bad until it's at normal operating temp again.

When I say really bad, I mean it seems like it's missing or starved for fuel until it gets warmed back up. It doesn't really do this at a cold start. If the van is cold it usually doesn't have much problems.

I've changed the temp II sensor, the idle control valve and just recently replaced the idle control unit. Each item has made the van run smoother and sorted out issues, but I'm still stuck with this issue when starting the van once it's already hot.

Could this be a O2 sensor issue?

I'm kinda at a loss at this point, because as I say once the van is hot and has been up to speed it runs great, but at warm restarts it has this missing or fuel starving issue.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your fuel pressures. Could be the fuel pressure regulator or a "heat soak" problem..the pressure test is a good place to start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged wrote:
Check your fuel pressures. Could be the fuel pressure regulator or a "heat soak" problem..the pressure test is a good place to start.

What is heat soak? As a side note fuel pressure regulator was next on the list. I have a spare and planned to try it out. I'm just a bit thrown off being the issue is only temporary until the van is back at normal running temp.

I'd think if it was fuel related, wouldn't it be a constant issue?
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat soak refers to parts of the engine heating up a lot after the engine is shut off and engine heat affects the part. In your case, with the engine not running, heat from the engine heats up the fuel in the fuel lines, the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) and the fuel injectors. If there is any leakage in the fuel supply system, the line pressure drops and the fuel turns to vapour, which screws up the EFI upon hot restart. In your case, you might have a leaking fuel injector. If so, that would dump a lot of gas into one cylinder and starve the other 3 due to the fuel line vapour. After the excess fuel in the leak-affected cylinder is burned up, things go back to normal.

Bottom line - - remove and check your injectors per the Bentley manual.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: