Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Standard 1951/L21 Pearl Gray combinated with colored lines
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Economy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Black & White to color Reply with quote

Wrong, This is an original VW dealer photo, with real people, real cars, real buildings, real color, not a black & white color added print.

The color texture you see is me just throwing the picture in a scanner then cropping it down 5 times its original jpeg size to get the right size to fit the requirements for this site. After this they tend to loose the bold colors.
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
No. It was a friend of mines for awhile. Its still here on the east coast though.

I was thinking I might've actually seen that car--I think it might've shown up at one of the Norwalk, CT events (post the 2000 "record" splits gathering, possibly?), as part of a large collection of cars brought to the event, I think I recall, by a collector from NY or NJ.

Anyway, NICE car.
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock Steve wrote:
Wiggy wrote:
No. It was a friend of mines for awhile. Its still here on the east coast though.

I was thinking I might've actually seen that car--I think it might've shown up at one of the Norwalk, CT events (post the 2000 "record" splits gathering, possibly?), as part of a large collection of cars brought to the event, I think I recall, by a collector from NY or NJ.

Anyway, NICE car.

Yes, thats the car. That picture is in front of the "collector's" garage in NYC.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Black & White to color Reply with quote

Ed Economy wrote:
Wrong, This is an original VW dealer photo, with real people, real cars, real buildings, real color, not a black & white color added print.

There was no harm meant in my comment. By retouching I just meant that some of the detail (such as the lines on the man's briefcase and on the rear wheel of the car) looked like they were sharpened by a retoucher. I don't doubt that everything in the photo is really there. Sorry if you thought I meant otherwise.

By the way, the complete sales brochure is in TheSamba archives here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/52brochure.php

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Ed Economy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Harm taken Cool The big problem is when you scan you loose so much of really what is there. If I sounded rude back sorry, it is more out of frustration of the time it takes to scan a nice photo then the finished product is crap.
For the last 2 weeks I have scaned over 100 pieces. I hope to start selling some of a 600-700 piece private literature collection soon. Everything from KDF to Super beetle, All of this must be scanned to be sold and I think some might not look authentic when done.

I have shared some pieces with Everett so he can be the Scan Man Smile
p horvath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock Steve wrote:
Wiggy wrote:

Anyway, NICE car.

i first saw that car in 01 at norwalk. my friend and i really checked it out. it seemed to be very correct. i was able to buy it a few years later and the photo of it on kevin's trailer is when we picked it up in staten island. i sold it to a collector here in nj.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
belgianboxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

belgianboxer wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This a Belgian 1950 Standard Split, restored to original condition. It also features the red lines at the side of the body. Unlike any other Standards it has chromed bumpers (also with this red line painted!), headlight rings, door handles and hub caps. I was told that this is 100% original and correct for Belgian standards from ’49-‘50… I’ve seen a few similar cars on VW meetings in Belgium, so I’m quite sure this is how they were delivered at the time… I don't know if this rare standard version was only for the Belgian market, or also sold in other countries in this color combination. The chrome trim may have been an extra added by the Belgian VW importer D'Ieteren to make standard beetles more attractive and sell more cars...

Wiggy wrote:
By the way, I would like to see an original split in Coral Red. I've never ever seen one and I don't think they ever existed.

no, coral red (L351) was only available from '56 onwards

another picture (of the same car), seen at the VW Classics Meeting in Lier, Belgium 2006:

billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe all "export standards" had chrome, the window cranks will have black knobs with chrome handles, only the "home market" standards were without chrome, I have not been able to find out if they had chrome wipers or not, it was probably a few more pennys for the wipers at the time but it seems odd to see chrome everywhere but the wipers on the above car, although one of my Hoffman standards had an old chrome wire wiper arm in a box of rust scraps with it niether of my Hoffman standards had wiper bases with them, I see the above export standard has the pin stripes also but mine are much more pink than red as above car has, I only got one 16'' wheel with mine and I dont think the date code matched the car but the one wheel did have some coral pink on it

( on a closer look the above car has LARGE post '58> wiper blades on it and not the smaller <'57 blades so obviously the arms and bases are of questionable correctness )

( my export standards also had normal late type chrome split bumper overriders on them which the above car is missing )
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
standard-brezel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have catched an older piece of color examples made in 1955 ....

there is also the Siegellackrot L53 named Sealing Wax Red in english.... it´s a nice color at the end, but is it the right color ....... is there anybody who has got an order form from 1951 / or original invoice from the first owner who received the car in this color combination ( Standard L21 with the unknown kind of red ) ? It seems to be very hard to find out the correct details about this .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the correct color for a Nov 47 car delivered to the US Army Exchange service in Frankfurt?

http://www.rickspowdercoating.com/powdercoating_color.htm

RAL
7021 Schwartzgrau
7011 Eisengrau
6006 Feldgrau
7038 ?

What info is known about the red color used for late 1947 wheels?

What is the color code for that one?

thanks,
Mike

[url][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrsherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
Sealing Wax Red.

My money is all on Wiggy.
And who has ever seen an original paint real 'red' split? If they had come in factory red, vw would have used it for all their advertising at the time instead of the dull old split colours!

I know NZ had a genuine 'orange' oval, but I think mid 50's period was a very different time.

I have an og paint sealing wax red hub wheel here from a sand beige split, its faded but quite pinky red. Matches the line on a friends standard 52, but then another standard 53 I know has very red hubs like above Confused (Both fully restored so hard to know)
I have never owned a standard, but interested to know the answer ( as I also found out recently that my 55's og hubs are a vw colour (code) never used on anything else so anything is possible!)

quote 50karmann " it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference....L50 and L351, both Coral Red.

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
mrsherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOh! Thats an interesting chart! Very Happy

Do you have oval period L251 red ? (my 55 hubs) the recipe would be a godsend as the vw museum retain no record of it other than its existance.

Remi's Belgian 53 Very Happy

IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry.....No info on L251.

I'd bet my left knacker that the VW Museum does have info on L251 and other colors, but they just are too busy (lazy) to look, or they don't know where to look.

I'd love to go through their literature one day......probably wouldn't let me near it though.
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is: is the interior brown color (seat frames e brake etc) listed on those charts? If so couldn't the coral color just be listed because it is an accessory color (wheel centers and pin stripping) to the sand.

Just like Wiggy said, and I never really thought of it it I read it here. I have yet to see an og coral split.
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
What is the correct color for a Nov 47 car delivered to the US Army Exchange service in Frankfurt?

See the link below for some of the Gray colors listed below. The RAL nr.
shows up on my bottom status line when i run the cursor over the colors.
They are alos in numerical order left to right and top to bottom. Of course
everyones monitor will look different.

http://www.rickspowdercoating.com/powdercoating_color.htm

RAL
7021 Schwartzgrau
7011 Eisengrau
6006 Feldgrau
7038 ?

thanks,
Mike

[url][/url]
mrsherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:

I'd bet my left knacker that the VW Museum does have info on L251 and other colors, but they just are too busy (lazy) to look, or they don't know where to look.

I think you are right! Laughing

I will go back to matching the og paint I have (I will NOT be re-painting these wheels! I just need spares) but since this pic they have polished up nicely and are very orange!)

Thomas G's car identical spec and age to mine:

Sealing Wax/beige dated 4/52 15 inch...

Unknown car?

Sorry I am straying from topic, but Thanks anyway, back to standards now!

IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a 16" that I have with original paint on it.

with flash:

without flash

I just physically scanned the rim with my color analyser, and it comes up very close to L450, which was a wheel color. It will look differnt on different monitors, but for those that want to play around on the PC, it comes up as:
sRGB 117, 64, 50
HTML #754032
L*a*b* 34.4, 24.3, 20.1

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Some RAL Colors found online at Powder Coater. Reply with quote

Right Side - These are some of the GRAY-typ Colors I am thinking of for my Mid-Nov 1947 car,

Left Side - 3 Reddish Browns and RAL 6003 Olivgruen then MS Paint on the bottom with SWaxRed "grab" and color made using RGB values given
in the other post for wheel rim color.

--------------
RAL Codes & colors & MS Paint SealingWax Red and IN2VWs values for[RGB 117, 64, 50] Posted: Today 1:06 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------

RAL Colors found online - Test picking for 47 VW Colors

Bottom right reddish is color grabbed from L53 color block with MS Paint
Bottom right brownish color is color made with MS Paint using
RGB== [117, 64,50] as a custom color in MS Paint.
Screen captured from my Monitor

IN2VWS wrote:
Here is a 16" that I have with original paint on it.

with flash:

without flash

I just physically scanned the rim with my color analyser, and it comes up very close to L450, which was a wheel color. It will look differnt on different monitors, but for those that want to play around on the PC, it comes up as:
sRGB 117, 64, 50
HTML #754032
L*a*b* 34.4, 24.3, 20.1
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Standard Split Rag Top Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Ed Economy wrote:

From a original brochure I have , Volkswagenwerk Presents Its Products 7-52 b VW Windsor Sales & Service South West Ontario A real cool 10 pages of color photos

I'd be careful about using these photos for color reference. They look to me as if they are black and white pictures that have been colorized (as well as retouched but that's another matter). I have some old photos from the 60's of my parents and myself that were colorized that way by the photographer when they were first taken. It was a popular option at the time.

I agree that this photo looks to be retouched and "colorized". It is similar to this one from a Bosch brochure which I think was colorized as well. It was not uncommon to make the colors more brilliant. It may have been a color photo to begin with but it looks embellished to me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: