Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

quaiffe
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: quaiffe Reply with quote

Would getting a tranny with an LSD help a Thing when off road? Can one be had for a 181 with swing axle and reduction gears?
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An LSD is a huge improvement, maybe K-Mann will chime in he has a Quaife in his IRS. Yes Quaife does make a swing axle unit, here's a link to Quaife's own site...
http://www.quaife.co.uk/VW-Beetle-swing-axle-ATB-differential
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and the link. I am considering a '71 and now a '74; don't know if either will pan out.

I was encouraged to go the limited slip differential route when I had my German Looker. I recently got to thinking on how one could 4x4 or AWD a Thing, and the LSD concept came back to me. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Thanks again, and anyone else wanting to chime in is appreciated.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-mann here chiming in. Yes I have a Quaiffe in an IRS Thing. I have been in sand washes with other offroad VWs and ended up pulling them out. I throw rooster tails over the top of my car in soft wet stuff. The wheels turn and i move or i break some part of the car (other than the rear end). I have a Thing trans with all Weddle parts inside. It is as bullet-proof as you can make a Thing trans. It took me almost 8 months to collect the parts and build the trans. Worth the time money and effort. There is a Quaiffe for both IRS And Swing. Putting the Quaiffe in the Thing case required machining a few parts including some shims so it fit correctly with the correct axial play. I am about to build a motor and trans for my Thing road car and am deciding between a semi stock 79 2.0 L-2 T-4 with 79 bus trans or a 1776 with a single zenith 32 ndix and semi-stock Thing trans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevehenderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know about these, but I don't have one maybe someone else can comment. I herd they work to produce posi effect?

Poor Man's Posi shim pack reduces thrust load on the snap ring or threaded plate in the swingaxle carrier. The kit includes new solid steel thrust plates ground to allow installing shims, assorted thicknesses of hardened shims and Berg copyrighted instructions provide full adjustments required for snap ring or screw in carriers. SW 2#

An absolute must for all swingaxle transaxles. Adding hardened shims between the big spider gear and our new steel thrust plate (not powdered iron like stock) eliminates or reduces unwanted spinning motion that breaks or rotates the stock thrust plate, often popping out the snap ring. Proper shimming stops big gear side movement so it has resistance on it at all times and stays totally engaged in small gears. This reduces breakage and creates a mini posi affect. Originated by Gene Berg in 1961. Made in USA by Gene Berg Enterprises.

http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=12_382_2915
$36.09
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, K-mann, for the reply.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feel free to pmail me if you want more info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevehenderson wrote:
Do you know about these, but I don't have one maybe someone else can comment. I herd they work to produce posi effect?

Poor Man's Posi shim pack ......

Those shims are a complete waste of time and money. They will work for a few weeks until the shims get chewed up (very quickly).
stevehenderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping someone would comment, Bruce, I was thinking about getting one.
Weird Berg would sell them if they are garbage.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised that the new price was so low (545 Euro = $840 usd)

I bought mine nearly new for $300 cash after a pal's Pikes Peak Hill Climb mini sprint race car blew its motor after less than 30 miles of course practice. At the end of the racing season everybody is hard up for cash.

From the Quaife web page for T-1 IRS:

Volkswagen Beetle 33T spline IRS Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential
Product code: QDF4R/33
Catalogue Page: 10
Manufacturers: VW
£545.00 (Unit price exc. VAT)

Technical Drawing
Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential for Volkswagen Beetle 33T spline IRS is suitable for Volkswagen Beetle 1302 & 1303 models with IRS axle. A direct replacement for the standard Volkswagen open differential, the Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential transforms your car's performance.

Unlike a conventional plate-style limited slip differential, the Volkswagen Beetle 33T spline IRS Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential relies on gears rather than clutch plates for its operation. That means it is much smoother in operation.

The Volkswagen Beetle 33T spline IRS Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential never locks harshly with a set pre-load of wheel slip across the driven axle, like a conventional LSD. Rather, the Volkswagen Beetle 33T spline IRS Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential automatically biases the torque away from the spinning wheel across the axle, to a constantly varying degree, and never locks.

The Volkswagen Beetle 33T spline IRS Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential has many benefits over a standard open differential, including maximising traction and minimizing wheelspin, eliminating torque steer and snatching in front wheel drive cars compared to conventional LSD units, and a maintenance-free design which retains the standard oil lubrication.

The Volkswagen Beetle 33T spline IRS Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential is proven in circuit and drag racing, rallying and road use, and is produced from Corus steel billets, and is CAD designed and CNC machined, then inspected to ISO 9001 standards.

With over 170 applications, the Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential is second to none. Accept no imitations!

Quaife ATB Helical LSD differentials are used by Ford, General Motors and Daimler-Chrysler as original equipment.

The Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential for Volkswagen Beetle 33T spline IRS is also now subject to a lifetime warranty (subject to terms and conditions).
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
I was surprised that the new price was so low (545 Euro = $840 usd)

Not so fast, K-man. They don't use Euros in England. They use £.
£545 is $1080. By the time you add air mail shipping, duty and tax, you will be over $1200.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. Thanks. Last time I checked $1200 was the price. I did see the pounds symbol but just converted Euros because that is what I am dealing with these days and that is what my currency converter is set on. . Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: