Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

A stealthy blue Syncro Westy fueling up at my local gas station, couldn't tell it was a Syncro until I saw the fuel filler.

A showroom white Westy outside FLAPS, where I chatted with the owner for a few minutes. Nice H4 headlight conversion, immaculate condition…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Saw this one today after completing a ride on the Cap Trail. Guy started taking pictures of me taking pictures of him and looked miffed until I told him I have one and that, "I'm no ordinary crazy stalker, I'm a Vanagon guy."
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Stepped out of my hotel to go for a walk in Cape Town South Africa and immediately saw this tidy kombi...

Note the taller side slider passenger windows on the S.A. vans.

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Exchanged the Westy Wave with the driver of a nice all white (post-87) Westy yesterday

Saw a late-model Westy (with the darker burgundy (?)) paint this morning as I was walking through the 'hood

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
Stepped out of my hotel to go for a walk in Cape Town South Africa and immediately saw this tidy kombi...

Note the taller side slider passenger windows on the S.A. vans.

I like that microbus badge, double slider windows.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Rocked up to Karl's (The Bus Doktor, Fürth, DE), and saw these three lovelies shining in the sunlight....

That's my rig in the background (the green guy, not the white Westy...)
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Just saw a burgundy Syncro tintop with rocket box go by my place as I was walking home.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

wow 108 pages

where I live I can barely make it home by having to dodge past all the Vanagon fuel line fires
Twisted Evil

at least one on every block (my block has 2)
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

The morning of March 7th I saw a brown Westy southbound on I-95 in New Hampshire on my way to Boston. On my way back the morning of March 8th there was a green/white split window bus with a big square patch of something on the driver's side southbound in almost the same place (there's only 15 miles or so of I-95 through NH). I'll count the 7 or 8 that were at The Beetle Shop in Belfast, ME that I stopped by on my way home, too.
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Some of the VW's I recently saw while on Crete.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Went to the nearby high school for a basketball game and saw two Westies, a white and a gold, both Weekenders, both Wolfsburg. Also a blue tintop somewhere in my travels/errand running.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

And today I saw five in one drive…are we sure these are no longer manufactured? Three Westies and two tintops, all in the NW of Seattle.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Busy couple week of Vanagons around Denver.

I saw my Syncro's twin at Denver Airport two weeks ago. Two Savanah Beige tin top Syncros parked 100 yards from each other.

Blue Westy parked on the sidewalk Wink on Tennyson St near the Oriental Theater.

Also saw a nice white tin top Syncro at New Terrain Brewery in Golden yesterday. Best trailhead for a mountain bike ride I know of.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Today in Hackensack, NJ: River and Anderson Streets:

(Objects in mirror are cooler than they appear)

Only one I've seen in town for years.

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

I forgot this thread existed. From my trip to Europe in the fall.

On Montmartre in Paris. Very cool bench front seat:

In Hungary, there were TONS of Eurovans (badged as Transporters). Seriously, sooo many. Only saw one Vanagon, but wow was it a doozy. An 82 diesel (like ours!) so we figured it was fate. Or something. We have a long way to go to achieve this level of style:

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Saw three on a trip out to Granite Mountain on Saturday but only one running under it's own power… Sad

* a white Westy on the roadside heading East (no one inside so I didn't stop)
* a blue one heading East as I was heading West for home
* a gray one on a flatbed (might have been a Syncro, had stickers but couldn't see if they said 4WD or 2WD: no other clues).

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

I just saw this one walking to lunch in Denver.

I walked back by the other side and was very surprised to find that it's a Syncro Westy, '87 I'm guessing.

It's definitely been used to its fullest and them some. It's rare to see coat hanger wire holding a rear bumper on, but you gotta work with what's available.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Same Burgandy Syncro Westy that I see every summer in Whittier, AK. Never met the owner. I'll take a pic next time I'm in town.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

I saw a nice looking dark grey late model Westfalia w/SA grill being flat-bedded on the on ramp from 101 to North bound I-5 a little past noon today. Perhaps someone's weekend trip was cut short

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

It seems like it's pretty rare for most of the country to see one. Is that fair to say?

I live in a mountain town (Bend, Oregon) and it's a rare day that I don't see one. If i'm driving across town, it's typically 5 or more westys and a couple more tin tops.

Is this the same for other mountain towns? When I lived in the willamette valley I almost never saw one, so i'm assuming our situation here is unique.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 108 of 169

Jump to: