Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 168, 169, 170  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
teabone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: sunlight? in the morning? whoo hoo for spring! Reply with quote

For a while now, if I know I'm going to be "a few minutes late" for work, I can be pretty sure I'll see this van on Hiawatha in south Minneapolis. Maybe 6:50 am? Hey there. I commute in the black old school Saab 900S. I've waved, but who pays attention at that ungodly hour.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-----------

And how about this? Maybe you read these forums... Your van was seen by us a number of times last August in the Canadian Rockies. You may recall seeing us smiling and waving after piling out of our assuan brown Westy in the lot at Athabasca Glacier. This photo is from Canada's Waterton Lakes National Park about a week later on August 16, 2007, headed out of Waterton Village (uphill) towards the Prince of Wales Hotel. We had camped overnight at the Bertha trailhead and were down by the lake thoroughly cleaning out the van before heading back over. I saw you drive past, tried to catch up on my bike to no avail, and shot the photo you see here. Somewhere in those pixels is a van with a darker yellow top and maybe dark blue (purple/black??) on the bottom. Oregon plates. Just saying hey.

Hey.
85 Scirocco Deluxe 8v (resurrection in progress)

8419p27 wrote:
Aswan Brown is the Holy Grail of Vanagon paint. You should UPGRADE your opinion.

Last edited by teabone on Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from five days in Seattle.

Holy cow! I swear there was a Vanagon or a Bay Westy on every single block. Ms. MootPoint and I started playing "Spot the Westy" (sort of like a travel game with a six year old) after we'd seen three of them on our way into town from the airport. The trend continued for the rest of our visit. There were three within a two block radius of where we were staying by the Zoo. I guess if you are going to camp in the rain you can't beat a fiberglass roof. How come that didn't occur to me during the 13 years I lived there?

One particularly sad one (white 87+ Westy), directly across the street from where we were staying had a flat tire when I first spotted it. Couple days later the tire was fixed but the back window was smashed. Ouch! If you are reading this, you have our sympathy.
winkshog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a two tone white and yellow one the other day heading to waly world. and I drive by one at a repair shop. every morning on my way to work.
And a couple months back there was an air cooled at the GoodWill. There are two or three that live by me. thast i see all the time when it is not snowing.

the sun was out today Very Happy
Loghome for sale For those that want to get away from it all....
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a grey hardtop with NH plates visiting here in Richmond VA a few days ago and was parked on S. Colonial between Carytown and the RMA. It's been gone the last few drives past, so I guess s/he's gone home.
Jake59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo MootPoint, I hope you had a fine time in our city. I live 7 blocks south of where you saw that White Westy and I can't agree more it hurts when you see any old vehicle (not to mention a Westy) disgraced like that.

I have the ugly memery of our family 23 window split window sitting in a parking lot and some a##h### had smashed every window out .(welcome to Stamford CT).

Past Rides: 62 (23 window) Bus, 64 Ghai convertable, 68 single cab, 72 Super Bettle, 78 Bay window Bus, 84 GTI.
sav1028
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValleyHappy wrote:
Aside from my silver 87, I only see 2 other Vanagons in State College, PA.

One is a tornado red carat (wolfy) and the other is a brown/tan 84? gl. Still haven't had the chance to catch up with them but always wondered if they posted/lurked here.

I've seen the brown/tan one, I don't think I've seen the red carat...I'm sure I've spied your silver 87 before, keep an eye out for my assuan brown westy!

Rene Descarte walks into a bar.
The bartender looks over at him and says "Would you like a beer sir".
Descarte thinks for a second and replies "I think not".
And he diappeared forever.
gravedigger7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only two that I see one is mine and the other is the exact identical of mine!!! Same color and everything!! Folks get us confused until they see the stickers on mine!! One time my wife asked who the girl was I was driving with!!and my boss thought I was driving around when I called in sick!!

LEW

[img]
[/img]
BFLOBUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew's right about very few in Buffalo. My white 91 is in North Buff or at United Imports on Sheridan. About 50/50! The mechanic has a lite blue diesel Westy
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: saw one today... Reply with quote

location: 405 North freeway, Irvine, near the OC airport (California)

time: approx. 6:40 pm. / 04/10/08

description: GL Westy, White, rectangular front lights, very clean, chrome wheels may be 15" or 16", going about 80+mph... talked to myself "what the ..$%$^*.. engine he has in there...?

note: the driver has a beard.

this is my good day... yay.. I saw one

Smile
RCWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: blue westy Reply with quote

Hey Gravedigger7,
strange deal today. I just saw an similar ride this morning on the way to work.

also -
brown 85 on the main street in front of my house on the way home from work..

Red syncro in Tahoe City on Tuesday morning. Early 60's splity blue and white in the afternoon.

I've seen more in the last few couple weeks than I've seen all winter.. Must be spring time in Reno...
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen a brown westy with front end damage in Mountain Home AR yesterday evening. Dont see to many other vanagons on the road here.
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redtail wrote:
They are like rats in SE Portland. I swear there's a vanagon or bus on every block. An orange 81 drove by my house about 15 minutes ago.

You can hold your breath in Portland (especially SE) until you see one go by!!
kenmag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far and few between here in Toronto, though I did see a nice white/light blue two-tone 85(?) passenger on hwy427 southbound on Wednesday afternoon.
95 jetta GLX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:
redtail wrote:
They are like rats in SE Portland. I swear there's a vanagon or bus on every block. An orange 81 drove by my house about 15 minutes ago.

You can hold your breath in Portland (especially SE) until you see one go by!!

Dang. Other than mine I can only remember seeing 3 other vanagons in the past year.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving my grey '87 Westy on an errand I spotted a new-to-me early Assuan Brown Westy heading my way. I honked and waved and flashed the lights but the blonde woman driving it was oblivious. Damned VW drivers never pay attention.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a real nice burgandy Westy in Gresham, just east of Portland. One of the nicer ones I've seen in a while. Lowered, with Ronals, a Subie conversion, and Yakima box up top. Really nice.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Out of Nowhere... Reply with quote

I can go for a longish time without seeing a Vanagon, there's a camper bus parked in a florist's parking lot on Broadway that I can see any time I want to. But, oddly, on a day when I was going to Harbor Freight to get some cheap clamps for Winston's jalousie glue-up--mission successfu! -- I passed two 'Square Eyed' Vanagons, one coming, one going.

'Coming' was a maroon, including the top, out of state Westy, couldn't tell what state it was, I was in traffic and it turned off, and I was in the Saturn, so there was no way to establish my 'bona fides' for a wave-over. 'Going' was a dark blue with gray cladding Carat, I presume, transporter, being driven by a young looking kid with a LOT of stickers.

Well, at least I had a FEW seconds to ogle.

Shocked

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Ben's rig on the road today. It really stands out with that bright red paint job.
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the small town I live in I see a fair amount of Vanagons. This time of year though is when the tourists start rolling in and am happy to see people are still cruising the Alcan in a 20+ y/o car. I saw a tan (not sure official color name) Syncro Westy last weekend during the Shorebird Festival.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread REALLY points out the need to put your location (not BS) in your header , or whatever it is called. I guess I kinda understand the idiot humor of the splitlist guys (and even some of them give a hint at the true location, like Ronnie, who says "where hell meets the ground" which is LHCity, AZ.), but so often what we say is location specific.
Unfortunately, nearly all of them around here are owned by me. Another nearby old collector died, and his family CUT UP about 20 last year.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 168, 169, 170  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 170

Jump to: