Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Seen at a local repair place, an '85 with mods.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

It has been awhile since a saw a Vanagon locally in the wild!

They aren't a common sight here in the Reading Pa area.

I found this one yesterday heading out of Douglasville.

I finally was able to get close at the light in Yellowhouse.......

It was covered with bicycles front and rear....... Pa plate...... nice shape.
From the color I'm guessing early mid 80's with a 1.9
He was running a tad rich for I sucked in his rich exhaust until I turned off onto Oley Turnpike and he went on straight towards Oley.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Dan- when you come out to AZ please look me up. I'd love to get together again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
I saw a red Westy on 5th street in Bemidji today. I was waving like crazy but was in my father in laws Toyota. Pretty sure it was Dan from this area. Only Vanagon we have seen in this area. We flew so just a short visit.

late to the game here but yeah, that was me wondering who the heck was waving like maniacs at me in a Muggle car! Tony and i connected afterwards. that same ratty 87 will likely be headed toward AZ again this spring to visit friends in Florence.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

kiltedhiker wrote:
Saw going Eastbound on HWY 50 outside of Sacramento. Red Syncro

That's a tough looking Syncro, headed for the boonies!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Medium green Doka seen on an auto transport heading west on I-90 in South Dakota or Wyoming. I was heading east so I couldn't get a photo.

The Doka has a bed cap and two big spare tires hanging off the back. Here's hoping it makes it to the destination safely.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kiltedhiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Saw going Eastbound on HWY 50 outside of Sacramento. Red Syncro
Run8Stud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I saw several on the road today. We were headed north on CA-101 not terribly far from the Humboldt Redwoods State Park when we passed an entire parade of southbound Buses, Vanagons, and other misc VW vehicles.

Funny thing was a bit earlier in the day i was thinking how I hadn't seen a single Westy on our trip from San Diego so far...
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Saw an absolutely Stunning 91ish white and black tintop 7-22
I-76 westbound east of Pittsburgh
Had a "Mansispeed" Sticker in the rear window and 3 foglights in (Pyramid style)
Center had a amber lens
Looked fresh from the factory
Rear discs
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Saw an absolutely Stunning 91ish white tintop
I-76 westbound east of Pittsburgh
Had a "Mansispeed" Sticker in the rear window and 3 foglights in (Pyramid style)
Center had a yellow lens
Looked fresh from the factory
Rear discs
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
I saw a red Westy on 5th street in Bemidji today. I was waving like crazy but was in my father in laws Toyota.
Pretty sure it was Dan from this area. Only Vanagon we have seen in this area. We flew so just a short visit.

Who the *F* leaves Flagstaff to go to Bemidji? You’re doing it wrong… Shocked

Laughing Wink

- Dave

PS: Come on over to the big lake, we’ll go lighthouse spotting… Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I saw this one at the auto glass store, they said they were fixing the windows so the owner could sell it. They also said it won’t start, the outside is great, the inside is a mess. But it is in town…

TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I saw a red Westy on 5th street in Bemidji today. I was waving like crazy but was in my father in laws Toyota. Pretty sure it was Dan from this area. Only Vanagon we have seen in this area. We flew so just a short visit.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

^ That red one was parked there again today so I went in to ask about it. The lady phoned the guy she said owns it and reported that it's for sale for $17,500 and has less than 100K miles. It's very clean and looks original but that sounds like a lot for a passenger van.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Saw this '91 tintop parked at a nearby antique shop, looking like it's in really nice original condition.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I tried to get my phone camera to shoot a pic, but fumbled. So I went through my dash cam videos.

I spotted this early T3 Westy July 7 (yesterday), Northbound on US 52 about 20 miles South of Rochester MN, around 5 PM.

Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Damn GPS stopped working on my way to get some food while touring Albuquerque. Pulled into a grocery store parking lot and low and behold a Syncro! Met and talked with Joe for a while about vans and such. Thanks for local tips!

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

After the Edinburgh van above, wife and I took the train to Fort William and then rode bikes over 3 days up the Great Glen Way to Inverness. I saw so many vanagons- including at least 3 Westfalia high tops- that I gave up on trying to get pictures.

This van outside of a camper rental deserves a post though. Pop top high top and double windows obviously well loved and used.

Run8Stud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

This last Sunday (May 21), the wifey and I were on the I-405 South just north of Santa Ana, heading back to San Diego in our white '87 Westy when we spotted another white Westy behind us with round headlights and Arizona plates.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

as i was enjoying a "Dope Moves " 8.1% IPA at Woodstock Brewing in the Catskills on Saturday, 20 May 2023, a white Westy blasted past heading west on NY 28 just outside of Phoenicia, NY.

looked fast Smile

BiWerks Design, LLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 169

Jump to: