Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 168, 169, 170  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

vegpedlr wrote:
Saw my twin going the opposite direction yesterday when leaving work. Then went to a vanlife meetup in PDX last night and finally saw why it gets the reputation of Vanagon-Land.

Aww man, that sounds like fun, where do you find out about those? I did a VW meetup in Canby last night but a Vanagon meet would have been fun too.
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I saw a nice westy on the New Seward Highway yesterday on my way to help my friend drop the fuel tank and reroute the balance tube on his ‘85 westy. After getting that squared away (mostly, we have to redo it to get the throttle cable back underneath the balance tube and de-tensioned Rolling Eyes ) we drove over to meet another friend of his to check out his pop-top pseudo weekender Syncro (there was much envy on my part). That guy actually had some other friends over at the time and we determined that there were five Vanagon owners all in the same room! On the way back to my friend’s place we swung through the South Addition neighborhood in Anchorage and saw two more Vanagons, one Syncro westy and another Syncro tintop. Including mine, that makes a total of six I saw yesterday. Very Happy

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Saw this nice doka leaving the Gray Barn (doing a delivery perhaps?) north of Sammamish, I wasn't driving the van so couldn't raise his attention.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Just got back form a 2000K trip ...

2,000,000km/miles, wow!

Sorry, I'll see myself out...
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Yeah, that was a long week and a lot of gas.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Driving up rt 30 in Vermont I saw a beige van with a trailer and a sliver tin top. No doubt on there way home from westies on the west river. Unfortunately my van is 1400 miles away in Texas. John
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I was driving up James Canyon to go for a hike on Saturday and ended up behind this pristine '85 with Subie 2.5. We had fun twisting up the canyon--I think he was somewhat surprised that I was staying with him. We both pulled over in Jamestown and talked Vanagon for a bit.

He's owned the van since '93. It's gorgeous (and has cool graphics.)

I later saw him camped out at the campground by Buchanan Pass trailhead.

You meet the nicest folks in Vanagons...

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Just got back form a 2000 Mi trip from SF to Seattle and back,

Next time stop in and say hello please.
Otis

Just a regular guy
VanAllen_84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I saw several Vanagons during my recent trip to Mammoth. Probably the most I have seen at one time during any of my trips! But I only got a pic of two that were in the same campground that I was staying in.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to check out their Vans or talk to the owners.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I spotted a white diesel Westy today in Manhattan KS parked on the street. Owner, if you happen to see this, I left a note!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Passed my twin on the Mt Lemmon Highway this afternoon (north of Tucson):

It's a great summer on the mountain, no fires, frequent showers and pleasant temps. Looks like they're heading for a camping spot -- there are many, both CGs and dispersed.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I was at a small car dealership today that had three air cooled eta campers hidden on the back of his property.

Inside I saw a set of black vinyl seats in the one Riviera. They had VW black oem head rests and all the appropriate VW oem seat levers and covers.

Aren’t these seats really rare? Sorry didn’t have camera.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

This one was camped near me at Pinnacles CG on Brooks Lake near Grand Teton Park last week. I talked to the people who had it and found they had rented it from Outdoorsy. They were having trouble with it overheating and no power. There were at least 4 large adults in it climbing 9600 ft Togwotee Pass. They said when they told the owner how many people they had that he replied that it had a V6 in it. That made me suspicious so I looked in through the license plate hole and it looked like stock 2.1. (there was a pop or beer can over the oil filler tube). I looked underneath and it definitely was a 2.1. They were headed to Yellowstone.

https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/jackson-hole_w...img][/img]

The photos don't show the torn poptop and all the duct tape holding it together. They had to borrow my duct tape to patch a big hole so the mosquitos didn't come in.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

spotted in Germany yesterday Cool

pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

This is a beautiful Syncro (love the pop-up high roof), but I'm truly wondering what they're carrying that they needed to add that huge hanging box on the back.

I'm still thinking like a backpacker, and having the enclosed roof carrier due to the high roof (along with all the inside cabinets) would be way more than enough for me and my family to spend at least 10 days in the road.

tjet wrote:

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Outlaw912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Up in gualala camping. Had a caravan of vw going from Canada to mexico
minah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Snapped this Syncro in Gunnison CO last week.
minah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

This one too. A little rough but still out there!
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Saw a few on a recent trip to the Island.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Saw a few on a recent trip to the Island.

Hah - that's funny!! Those are mine and Patrick's vans on our way back from Mayne Island. Dixie's still not fully re-assembled but it was great to be camping again.

There was a beige Westy and a Eurovan in the Village Auto Repairs lot on Mayne, too.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 168, 169, 170  Next
Jump to:
Page 157 of 170

Jump to: