Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nosecone vent hole
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Nosecone vent hole Reply with quote

I found out what the nosecone hole was for in this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66263&highlight=nosecone+hole

ratwell wrote:
... there is a vent at the top of the nosecone and it prevents pressure buildup inside the rest of the time. It's pretty rare for that hole to get clogged enough to cause a loss of transmission fluid through the seals.

Having just done some work on my nosecone, I can tell you mine was clogged solid with a mixture of grease, oil, and mud. I cleaned it up, and when I put a new gasket in, I notice that the gasket covers and blocks this vent hole. Is that supposed to be the case? It would seem to go against the reason for having the hole in the first place. There is no punch out or matching hole in the gasket (came from Long Enterprises). Or, will it still provide adequate ventilation?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/url]

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there a hole in the old original gasket?

If there is a hole on flange on the other side of the gasket I would poke/cut/punch a hole in the gasket.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joey - there was no hole in the original gasket (although I wasn't particularly looking for one), and there is no hole through on the other side of the flange. The hole goes straight through to the other side on the nose cone, and doesn't angle downwards at all.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
vwbuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey,
Darrell must had been looking over our shoulders yesterday
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwbuff wrote:
Joey,
Darrell must had been looking over our shoulders yesterday

Yep!

Darryl, that hole has to go somewhere. Wayne and I were messing around with his transmission and we had it upside down on the bench to loosen the drain plug and a few ounces of gear oil dripped out of the vent hole.

vwpieces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a slot on the nose cone for the hole. No hole in the gasket or the other housing side.

This pic is not a bay bus nosecone but you can see the small hole at the top to get the idea of the breather hole.

If you have oil in the trans, stand it up on end & the oil will come out... breather is not blocked. Or just roll it over, upside down, oil will come out, not blocked. I usually unblock the hole with the trans upside down to make sure the dirt flows out & not poked into the trans.

By this time most breather holes are clogged & as the oil heats up & expands there is no where to releave the pressure. It will leak out of the next easiest place. Usually the flange seals & fling all over the under carriage. Or into the bellhousing from the input shaft seal & get all over the clutch.
81 Turbo Diesel Jabbit
vwpieces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what exactly were you working on with your nosecone? Your pics do not show evidence that it was removed.

While you have the trans accessible I would pull off the nose cone & install new brass bushings in the shift lever & a new seal. Get the parts from WW (Wolfsburg West)... trust me here. They have real Kolbenschmidt inner bushings that fit.
81 Turbo Diesel Jabbit
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's help. I took the nose cone off again just to check it out. I didn't notice it when I had it off before. There is indeed a "recess".

vwpieces wrote:
So, what exactly were you working on with your nosecone? Your pics do not show evidence that it was removed.

While you have the trans accessible I would pull off the nose cone & install new brass bushings in the shift lever & a new seal. Get the parts from WW (Wolfsburg West)... trust me here. They have real Kolbenschmidt inner bushings that fit.

I replaced the nose cone seal, and the shift "ball". I was basically following Ratwell's 091 Trans Refresh article, doing the simpler stuff. It was also interesting just to look around in there because I've never had one apart before. My hockey stick is in good shape, too. So I lubed up the shift ball and the bearings with MOS2 grease and closed it back up.

My nose cone has been cleaned up considerably. It was covered in caked on mud, grease and oil, although I guess it doesn't look like it in the above photos. Below is what it looked like when I started. Those flakes on top are where I started with a screwdriver to get some of the gunk off - about 1/8" to 1/4" inch of stuff. See the vent hole? Exactly. Laughing Can't even see the nose cone bolts. Shocked

Meyer wrote:
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl, that was a dirty transmission... dirty but dry from oil leaks. Maybe you better stay off those logging roads..... nah!

klondike97009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: 091 breather hole Reply with quote

Does anyone know why a 091 would pump fluid through the breather hole at the top of the nose cone, only when the tranny is in gear?
Thanks in advance for any input!
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably over full......... Surprised
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msoultan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda resurrecting an old thread, but it seems somewhat related - we brought a transmission to the sandblaster to have them clean it off and had no idea about that vent hole. We taped off everything else really well, but when we went to pick up the transmission, they had it upside down and about a cup of oil had flowed out of it.

So, where does that vent hole lead to? Should we be worrying about media in the nosecone? Can we take the nosecone off and inspect inside there for media or are we going to mess up the transmission adjustment? Otherwise I was thinking that we just run the transmission for a few miles, drain it, fill it with new oil, run it a few more miles and then drain it one more time and fill with new oil.

Also, this was a rancho rebuild - do they use special gear oil in their rebuilds?

thanks!
Mike
Devon-Dyno-Soar118
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't run it without checking and cleaning any blast media. That stuff gets everywhere and will not do the trans any good.
Rust Collector.
msoultan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we take the nosecone off to inspect inside there for media or are we going to mess up the transmission adjustment?

Also, any idea on what type of oil Rancho uses in their rebuilds?

thanks!
Mike
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msoultan wrote:
Can we take the nosecone off to inspect inside there for media or are we going to mess up the transmission adjustment?

Also, any idea on what type of oil Rancho uses in their rebuilds?

thanks!
Mike

Both those questions are best answered by Rancho, have you phoned them?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: