Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new engine wanted
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tristan79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: new engine wanted Reply with quote

i just purchased a 1979 VW bus for my first car, when i graduate i would like to put a new engine or a new long block in it. i need help picking what cc of an engine i should get or if i should get a performance long block, i would like it to have a little more power to get up the hills. also when the bus gets filled up it only goes to about the half full mark but runs for well bellow the orange empty mark, i've heard it could be the sending unit or the gauge its self, which is it?

Last edited by Tristan79 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: new engine wanted Reply with quote

Tristan79 wrote:
i would like it to go at least 90 mph with a little to spare.

Have you ever gone 90+mph in a Bay?

You need more than just an engine to do it safely.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90 in a bay? You may want to consider a different vehical. Mabey an american van, ford, chevy, sportsmobile if you want a camper. You can do 90 in a bay but the results may not be good.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It cam be done with a Subaru conversion, but you need suspension upgrades along with brakes and steering.

BTW.. where in the USA is the speed limit 90 mph?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PicklePickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did somebody say "rollover?"

You'll need to lower that beast to get the center of gravity down and reduce the volumes of air pushing on every surface of the little loaf or the 90 mph trip will probably be short lived!
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like ONE MILLLION DOLLARS!!! Hahahahaha

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
PicklePickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seventyfo wrote:
I would like ONE MILLLION DOLLARS!!! Hahahahaha

Mmm.hhmmm.mmhhmh... you know, Dr. Evil, a million dollars isn't exactly a lot of money these days. Virtucon alone makes over nine billion dollars a year! Laughing
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost wet my pants laughing when I read the original post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: 90 mph bus Reply with quote

Sell your bus to someone who will appreciate it for what it is....obviously an aircooled bus is not for you. Shocked
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone replying to this post should do so with encouragement and humility. This is a new bus owner and a member of the new generation that will help keep these beasts going into the future. For the OP, hi and welcome to the world of classic VW's. Since you are still in school which I am assuming is high school; I would recommend you get Tom Wilson's book on rebuilding type 4 engines Whether you rebuild yours or go for another engine after doing some research, you will not be able to do 90 as some have pointed out. But you may find the bus's other characteristics better serve you anyway. My westy has proven to be more reliable than my friends' newer cars and much more useful. You will also avoid the $80 cost of havlng the dealer tell you to tighten your gas cap since you will be able to do most everything on your bus. Not all of us VW enthusiats will treat you so condescendingly.
Again welcome to the fold.

Last edited by reluctantartist on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
Everyone replying to this post should do so with encouragement and humility. This is a new bus owner and a memeber of the new generation that will help keep these beasts going into the future. For the OP, hi and welcome to the world of classic VW's. Since you are still in school which I am assuming is high school. I would recommend you get TIM Wilsons book on rebuilding type 4 engines The wither rebuild yours or find a vote to rebuild after doing some research. You will not be able to do 90 as some have pointed out. But you may find the bus's other characteristics better serve you anyway. My westy has proven to be more reliable than my friends' newer cars and much more useful. You will also avoid the $80cost of havlng the dealer tell you to tighten your gas cap since you will be able to do most everything on your bus. Not all of us VW enthusiats will treat you so condescendingly.
Again welcome to the fold.

Excellent post!
I too remember when I was young and uninformed and all the things I'd read in magazines combined with the things my equally uninformed buddies had told me was cool added up to some pretty unrealistic expectations of what my first car should be capable of. After a few years of reality, buying gas, speeding tickets, etc... I found that as long as it runs well and is reliable it's still a giant leap above public transit or asking your parents for a ride whether it goes fast or not.
Sure you can go fast and pass everyone Tristan but you won't have much time to enjoy it because you'll be working 4 jobs to pay for that feature, consider making it run well as it is and you may be suprised just how cool and functional it already is.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdaddy speaks wisdom.

My 78 bus with fuel injected 2.0 FEELS like it goes 90MPH compared to every other VW I've ever had. Plenty of power. Stock. Reliable. Original. Wonderful. I can go 75MPH easy. Probably more, but I don't want to push her. I can pass slow cars on the freeway, get up hills - even steep ones - and accelerate as much as my little heart desires.

Answer to your original question: Put the engine in that 79 that VW intended it to have. You'll be happy.

If you need more than that, I don't think an old bus is really what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cefalu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just drove through Bend last month to retrieve my new '74 Westy. The roads in that area did not impress me as a place you could drive a bus at 90, or for that matter much of anything, besides maybe a sports car. And as others have noted a bus was not engineered to travel at that rate.

Here in CA, our I-5 speed limit is 70, and I can usually drive just under 80 without much fear of a speeding ticket. It seems that the CHP ignores the drivers who are 0 to 9 mph over the speed limit.

Maybe once you get a few speeding tickets, your 90 mph goal may not seem so necessary.
1974 Jeep J-20 ZZ
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
2005 Toyota 4Runner V8 Sport
2008 Mercedes E350 Wagon
2018 Lexus GX460
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a young person don't even consider driving it beyond any posted speed limits. It's not at all about what you can get away with without getting caught. Drive it moderately, cautiously, legally and safely. Any bus will greatly appreciate that and society will also. Where many of us messed up with our first cars was stupidly thinking we could avoid those dumb rules. Consider it potentially as harmful as any other weapon because it is. You can easily harm others, yourself, and tear up the bus. We already have a big supply and way to many young and old irresponsible brain dead drivers. But good busses are getting in much shorter supply.

Wanting 90 fricken miles an hour and still in school? Laughing Stick with a bicycle or tricycle.
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See bottom line...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RACE TAXI

Link

Link

Link

Can't be done is only said by those without enough imagination and cash to make it happen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I agree with that but.... Nobody here said "can't be done" I've only heard "It's not recommended"
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess if you've got the skills to back up your wallet it's OK, but just because you can afford high performance doesn't always qualify you to use it http://www.driving.ca/news/story.html?id=6709538

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Race Taxi but if you want to go fast then build it to go fast.

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel gauge stuff....

It is usually either a bad fuel tank sender (to which the engine really should be out to replace it) or the gauge is not making a good electrical connection at the dash.

Odds are the sender is bunk, but go here and see if this works first....

http://www.type2.com/library/misc/vwggauge.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: