Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need alternator near Yellowstone (Bozeman, Helena?) *UPDATE
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidWesty79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Need alternator near Yellowstone (Bozeman, Helena?) *UPDATE Reply with quote

Hey all,
So, I am currently in Jackson WY and it appears that the alternator in my 79 is dying. The belt is new and tight. I swapped in a spare regulator to check. When cold the alternator light is out, but once the engine is hot and driving the light comes on (sometimes has a fast paced pulse.)

Occasionally if I push in the clutch and rev it up to over 4K rpm, the light will go out for a moment, or sometimes even stay out for a minute or so, but then it comes back on.

I checked voltage at the battery when the light was on at idle and it was at 12.2 volts.

I am hoping to get to Glacier tomorrow, but NO ONE has an alternator in stock. Does anyone know of a place in-route that would definitely have one, or happen to have an extra working alternator laying around?

Thanks all!!

Last edited by MidWesty79 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need alternator near Yellowstone (Bozeman, Jackson, Helena?) Reply with quote

Read up on the necessary alterations to a new or rebuilt alternator. If you don't heed the offered knowledge you will end up at best with a burned up replacement and a burned up alternator or worse you could have a rig burned to the ground.

If you limit your power usage you can easily drive for a couple of hundred miles on a fully charged battery.
MidWesty79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Need alternator near Yellowstone (Bozeman, Jackson, Helena?) Reply with quote

Thank you for the tip! Anyone have a link to these "alterations?" My cell phone provider doesn't work hardly at all out here. It has been incredibly frustrating.

I found a parts store in Helena that can get me an aftermarket unit tomorrow, so I am on the 270 mile drive there hoping my alternator can keep me juiced til then.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Need alternator near Yellowstone (Bozeman, Jackson, Helena?) Reply with quote

Use at your own risk. But looks like solid info

https://youtu.be/W8_thFzpyxw

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need alternator near Yellowstone (Bozeman, Jackson, Helena?) Reply with quote

99% chance the brushes are worn out - classic way they fail. That said do check the belt for damage. Look in the yellow pages for an electrical shop that specializes in rebuilding alternators. I looked online and there is a shop in Billings MT. Call them (406) 252-7342 https://www.generatorstartershop.com/ to make sure they rebuilt alternators of your type.

Take the fan belt off now before you damage the core alternator if this is a T4 2L pancake engine. If it is an upright T1 engine do not take the belt off. You'll have to use a battery charger to charge the batteries between stops. You'll get about 100 - 150 miles on a charge daytime depending on how many electronics are on board. If it is a T4 motor you can remove the harness to it also if you are concerned their might be an internal short but I would probably leave it on myself. You can also remove the blue wire so the light doesn't burn out.

Richard Atwell on his website has a how to remove the alternator.
mtcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need alternator near Yellowstone (Bozeman, Jackson, Helena?) Reply with quote

I got a 55amp Bosch alternator here in Missoula at http://www.autoelectricmissoula.com/ . If you need a place to work on it let me know.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need alternator near Yellowstone (Bozeman, Jackson, Helena?) Reply with quote

mtcamper wrote:
I got a 55amp Bosch alternator here in Missoula at http://www.autoelectricmissoula.com/ . If you need a place to work on it let me know.

What, no more spare alternators under the camping tent poles under the bench in the garage?

Silty says hi.
Colin Razz
mtcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Need alternator near Yellowstone (Bozeman, Jackson, Helena?) Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
mtcamper wrote:

What, no more spare alternators under the camping tent poles under the bench in the garage?

Silty says hi.
Colin Razz

Haha I thought of you when I saw this thread. I'm unfortunately currently out of Cobb webbed forgotten about silty alternators.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need alternator near Yellowstone (Bozeman, Jackson, Helena?) Reply with quote

MidWesty79 wrote:
Anyone have a link to these "alterations?"

Alternator Type IV (4)

Make sure the alt. cover is not touching anything that is hot on the alternator.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good luck
Tcash
MidWesty79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Need alternator near Yellowstone (Bozeman, Jackson, Helena?) Reply with quote

Just wanted to give an update. I was able to get an aftermarket unit in Helena MT at AutoZone, however, I didn't install it. I didn't want to deal with the alterations required/or the removal of the pulley while on the road. I continued up to Glacier NP, and then drove all the way back to WI running on solar with a fused jumper running from my deep cycles behind the driver seat (in the spare tire cabinet) back into the engine bay. Luckily I had clear skies for my entire drive home, as I never struggled with voltage driving during the day.

Now that I am home I can have the existing alternator rebuilt or at least find a higher quality replacement. Thanks to all of those who responded with assistance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: