Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Long or short axles
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sturgeongeneral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Long or short axles Reply with quote

Could anyone please educate me on the difference between long and short axles for a swingaxle trans? How long is each and if I change from long to short will it enable me to run larger tires on the rear? (like 12s or 14s without sticking out too far? Thank for the input!
My fiberglass car collection!

In honor of bowtie56jw:Another victim of the nasty "C" Praying for ya Jeff!

My exwife said if I towed home one more bug she would leave me. You know, every once in a while I miss her
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the ends (cast iron) of the axle tubes you can tell the difference between the long and shot axle tubes. There is only a 1 1/4" difference.
My buggy has 7.5" wide wheels with short axles.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the tires stick out. There is no chance of tucking in a set of 10" wide wheels and tires.
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
SCOOPER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What models use the longer axles, I'd like to have a set for a project I'm working on. I'd also like to know the length of both of them so IDing them would be possable, maybe I have the longer ones, don't know...1 1/4" would be about right for my application.

Coop

You can't put a price on your fun, if you do, it stops being fun...
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longer axels came on 67&68 bugs & type 3,Madmike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 67 long axle used a shorter spline where the brake drum rides than the 68. The brake spline length on the 67 is the same on the 66 down. Both the 67 and 68 have the same wheel base though.

The 1 1/4 inch differance is measured between the outside backing plate mounting flange and the inside of the spring plate mounting flange. My short axles measure 4.875 inches on that demension.

Now if you really want to do some fabricating and make it look unique, Sway A Way offers 3 inch and 5 inch shorter axles, (overall length). These will suck up the wheel into the body, but either you will need to shorten the torsion housing the same amount so it will bring the spring plates in the like amount and shorten the axle tubes also. Or delete the torsion housing and go ladder bars with coil-over shocks on the rear.

I have a bugstuff tube chassis for my drag car and it has the torsion housing built in. I purchased Ron Lumas Racing ladder bars and QA1 coil overs and SAW 3 inch shorter axles. The torsion housing is going to leave the chassis and the ladder bars will be located 3 inches inboard on each side to effectively narrow the rear 6 inches over all. This now will fit under a stock bug rear fender, but have 8 inch slicks and handle the 220 hp better than a swing.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sturgeongeneral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I have 8s that are about even with the outer edge of the fenderwell. Maybe I can find a 12 with a heavy offset????
My fiberglass car collection!

In honor of bowtie56jw:Another victim of the nasty "C" Praying for ya Jeff!

My exwife said if I towed home one more bug she would leave me. You know, every once in a while I miss her
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: