Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

condenser
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: condenser Reply with quote

After running my westy for a while, the condenser gets damn hot and the bus wont start until the engine cools down. do they all do this? i bought a new condenser and i am going to put it in on saturday. just curious.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: condenser Reply with quote

Everything gets hot: the distributor, vacuum can, coil, etc. The condenser is bound to get hot also.

What year bus and hot many miles?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
huskydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: condenser Reply with quote

condener's are inexpensive yes, but definately not the first thing you should question.

IF the problem is that your van will not start hot but will start cold then likely heat transfer is increasing the resistance in your starter motor. perfectly normal. a starter relay may solve this, but if your starter is drawing too many amps than it needs a rebuild or replacement. you may as well replaced the starter bushing at the same time & check the condition of wiring to the starter and even your battery cables. rust means resistance means & less "kick" for your starter.
dana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: condenser Reply with quote

the van turns over without a problem. it is a 74 westy with a 1700 in it. i have not checked for spark, i am going to do that tomorrow morning. i thought there might be something that was common to these vans that screws up when it gets hot. i am going to check for spark startuing at my coil and work twprds my plugs. again, the starter turns the engine over fine. it seems like i am out of gas.(but there is plenty)
huskydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: condenser Reply with quote

just to be clear here. does the van start if it's cold and not if it's hot. OR does the van not start period. note: the diagnosis here is based upon the assuption that your starter IS turning the engine over every time under both conditions.

ps just check at the plugs, if you have spark at a plug you'll spark leaving the coil.
dana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: condenser Reply with quote

yes the starter is turning over under both conditions. the engine does not start when it is hot. iput new points in this morning and it has started a couple of times hot. the condenser the guy gave me was the wrong one so i will change it monday. i just thought the heat of these engines may short something out in the ignition system. ie. coil, condenser. have you ever heard of this?
huskydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: condenser Reply with quote

i've been reading your other string and you may have more than one problem going on here. does your starter turn the engine over with the same force when hot as cold? if not again your starter may be building resistance with heat transfer and must be rebuilt/replaced sure you must have the right dwell and your condenser(capacitor) must provide a path of least resistance when the coil collapses and prevent your points from arcing and on and on and on. start with basics or you'll not solve this one. do you have compression (adjust room temp. valves first is manaul), are the points opening a closing with the correct gap, is your timing set correctly, how much resistance is there in the plug wires including coil to dist. cap wire, condition of the cap and centre pin is the rotor cracked/worn, what about the plugs, get out your multi-meter. if all of your basic tune-up stuff checks out THEN look at your carbs, potential vacuum leaks, and what your chokes are doing. if fuel injected look at your cold start valve.

bosch condensers & coils seldom go bad. if your points are badly pitted it may be your condenser. hell it's easy to change if you wish to eliminate it as a possiblity.
dana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: condenser Reply with quote

vwpanel, i changed my points on the weekend and problem solved, you nailed another one on the head. i also got a condenser from my local v dub shop but for some reason he gave me the wrong one. the starter does turn over slower when hot but it does the job. my battery is also on the way out. as for compression, i just replaced the pistons and rings and of course cyls. i also had the heads rebuilt. i have done valve adjustments a million times at work so i think everything is ok down there. everyone i talk to seems to think too lean mixture on that side, causing getting hot. one other point. the 3/4 side was getting hot BEFORE with the old pistons etc. i am going to continue with the tune up items because it can only help things. thanks alot for all your info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: