Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

twirping, new to my bus, why?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: twirping, new to my bus, why? Reply with quote

1973 vw bus
1700cc type 4 motor
my points burned up so i replaced them, and adjusted them per specs at .016.
and now my bus makes a twirping sound when i pull away from a stop, and goes away quickly. why is it like this. i have heard it on a few older beattles but never on a bus. and i dont think it can be good. if any one would like to explain why this is happening that would be great. the only thing i can think of is that i did not adjust the point setting properly.
thanks
lc
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: twirping, new to my bus, why? Reply with quote

did you grease the nylon piece on the points and or the cam of the distributor?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BigElipso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: twirping, new to my bus, why? Reply with quote

good call
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: twirping, new to my bus, why? Reply with quote

if not... a very light coating of grease keeps the nylon "rider block" from wearing down too fast and the points closing up.

damndest thing too... when a distributor shaft is so dry that they squeak, or twirp/chirp like you describe. I have seen it numerous times, people go to replace the points and see grease in thier dist, and the first reaction is to wipe it out and clean it off real good with a rag but it is there for a reason.

otherwise, I might say you have a slight exhaust leak or even worse the beginnings of a cylinder to head leak...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: twirping, new to my bus, why? Reply with quote

I buy that.

You have two choices for grease: buy a lifetime supply of Bosch Distributor grease from Gene Berg:

http://www.geneberg.com/elctrcpg10.htm
BSH5700002005 (search page for lobe grease)

The other choice is to go to your local flaps and beg them for points grease. If will come in a red capsule like a medicine pill would. They should have a box of them around because no one needs them anymore and each capsula is just enough for one application.

While you are in there put a drop on the pivot hinge for the points then put a few drops in the shaft itself where the wick is. A little grease, not oil goes on the advance plate where you can see the guide underneath it.

The beetle noise you hear comes from the chrome tail pipes. They are only held on with screws and the chrome rubs on the exhaust pipe and squeaks as the exhaust flows. Old motorcycles do it too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: