Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High MPG Ideas / Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. A seat-of-your-pants dyno.

Ideally I would use a regular dyno. That way I could just set the RPM and then throttle to a specific manifold pressure (or should I say vacuum) and then adjust timing to the point I get the most torque without any pinging or overheating. And I would just keep doing this at several RPM/load combos until I figured the most ideal mechanical and vacuum curves.

But at $600 a day, and at an altittude much lower than mine, renting a dyno is not worth it. I have been tempted to make my own with a large PTO hydraulic pump. Prince makes one that puts out 40gpm at 2000psi. That's about 40hp. Obviously I wouldn't be able to test high loads or high RPM, depending on how it's geared. But it's the lower loads and RPM I'm mainly concerned with.

But for now, the seat-of-your-pants dyno will have to work.
jimw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read every post so apologies if this was noted before. But it seems counter intuitive to run anything other than a turbo for an added boost to combustion.
To start with if your fans provide less forced air than a turbo you'll impede air flow. A turbo provides airflow that is stronger than the natural vacuum of any engine. That is what gives the boost.
Secondly tho, if it's electric it will cause drag on the engine.
So does the wider foot print I've read about that seems desirable to so many. As has been said here or maybe not, properly inflated narrower tires, accurate tuning specific to each engine with good parts, properly functioning CV joints, transaxles, wheel bearings and brakes are about as good as you can get. Wider tires naturally = more drag
With one of my buses years ago I joked about having the BIG mirrors hanging on the doors and how they weren't terribly aerodynamic.
Oh yeah, and rain-x on your windshield. Laughing
Well I thought it was funny anyway.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
That makes sense. A seat-of-your-pants dyno.

Ideally I would use a regular dyno. That way I could just set the RPM and then throttle to a specific manifold pressure (or should I say vacuum) and then adjust timing to the point I get the most torque without any pinging or overheating. And I would just keep doing this at several RPM/load combos until I figured the most ideal mechanical and vacuum curves.

But at $600 a day, and at an altittude much lower than mine, renting a dyno is not worth it. I have been tempted to make my own with a large PTO hydraulic pump. Prince makes one that puts out 40gpm at 2000psi. That's about 40hp. Obviously I wouldn't be able to test high loads or high RPM, depending on how it's geared. But it's the lower loads and RPM I'm mainly concerned with.

But for now, the seat-of-your-pants dyno will have to work.

Another idea for my "homemade dyno". A road with a steady incline and a bunch of weights of some sort. First empty, I'd try to keep the RPMs steady and trying to tune to get the most vacuum. And I'd do that at different RPM levels. Then add some weight and do it again. Then I'd keep adding weight until I need WOT to get up the hill. It's an idea any how.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can also use a vacuum gauge.........dash mounted.
Cruise at a constant speed and time and jet it for highest vacuum reading.

They used to sold as an accessory for MPG freaks.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Can also use a vacuum gauge.........dash mounted.
Cruise at a constant speed and time and jet it for highest vacuum reading.

They used to sold as an accessory for MPG freaks.

That's basically what I'm saying. Only I want to take it a step farther and do the same at an incline. Then at an incline with more weight in the car. And not only jet it but also find the best timing. However I can start out on a flat level road. I could first do the testing in first gear at different RPM levels, each time keeping the RPMs constant like you said. Then I could do the same in second then in third, then fourth. Then I'd do the same thing on an incline until I'm sure I got the timing and jetting perfect at any RPM and load level.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of varying weights use a hill that gets steeper as you climb it.

I have a nice hill like this that I can get my bus up to just over 60mph on the first section starting the hill at 20 mph ..and can make it at 45 mph over the top in 4th when my engine tune is good.
When things are bad it ends up at 40mph in third..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One idea mentioned in this thread is a warmer intake. I was thinking one way to get a warmer intake would be to increase heat transfer between the dual port intake manifold ends and the heads.

But would it be better to just not use a gasket, or to use a thin smear of silicone, or some soft copper cut to shape like an intake manifold gasket?
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use the factory type gasket.....the metal version..will transfer heat just fine....and NO RTV on them....which doesnt hold up to gasoline and does act as an insulator
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: High MPG Ideas / Discussion Reply with quote

I'm moving this to the correct thread since it's straying away from the Jet-A-Vator idea.

Alstrup wrote:
Hmm... did it ever occur to you that there is something in between (?)
"Screaming" at 4000 in second is somewhere around 2500 in third, which is right below max torque on a stock engine. That is naturally more efficient, and that is actually what I´m trying to say.

But if you really like, and want to lug around below 2000 rpms and want the most fuel efficiency out of it I would suggest that you throw that JAV unit on the shelf and replace your stock 1600 rocker ams with a set of early 1200 (1-1) rockers. That way you increase lower rpm torque at the sacrifice of power above approx 3800 rpm which you apparently do not want or need. That way you can increase usable power and efficiency below 2000 rpm and still have a little power reserve in the 2500 -3500 rpm band.

It's been proven time and time again that high RPMs hurt fuel mileage. There are several logical reasons for this. Saying that keeping the RPM's between 2,500 and 4,000 is good for fuel mileage is nonsense. I'd like to see some sort of proof that driving like that does any good for the fuel mileage.

I've just started driving the Bug again this last week, so I don't have a lot of testing done. But I will be doing a lot of testing. I want to dial the carb in as close as possible for the best fuel mileage. I have a wide band oxygen sensor just for this. Then I want to dial in the timing. For that I have a fully digital CB Magnaspark Distributor.
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: High MPG Ideas / Discussion Reply with quote

I'm running 17.5 AFR on my Chevy engine with a Megasquirt and TBI. Wish I could tell you the actual mileage, but my odometer doesn't work. It runs very smooth at steady speeds, even though it is running lean. It would likely do even better with regular port fuel injection. Whether or not you would save enough gas to pay for the change over depends on how many miles you drive a day.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: High MPG Ideas / Discussion Reply with quote

Bugsy61 wrote:
I'm running 17.5 AFR on my Chevy engine with a Megasquirt and TBI. Wish I could tell you the actual mileage, but my odometer doesn't work. It runs very smooth at steady speeds, even though it is running lean. It would likely do even better with regular port fuel injection. Whether or not you would save enough gas to pay for the change over depends on how many miles you drive a day.

That's awesome!

My setup is a dual port 1600 with the 1974 "Californian" dual heat riser intake and 34 PICT-4 Carb with a 1972 oil bath heated air cleaner that I really cleaned out the coconut fiber on and put in a new heated thermostat. I increased CR to 9.5:1 and have a 0.040" quench. Cam is a #73 Webcam grind. I got a 30mm oil pump, oil filter and oil thermostat that I separated the oil passages to the main gallery and the oil cooler, which is a Type 4 oil cooler with a modified stock doghouse shroud. I also opened up the oil passeges HVX style but lost a ball swivel type lifter so have elephant feet for now, but might go to the ball swivels when I get a chance. Pistons are AA hypereutetic. The whole rotating assembly, pistons and rods are all balanced to perfection. I have some ceramic coats on a few things like in the combustion chambers and exhaust ports. Ignition is a digital CB Magnaspark that I'm running off the normal vacuum port on the carb. Exhaust is all stock (I love the look of those pea shooters!). I also hooked up a pump to the crankcase ventilation system, put a seal at the pulley and put an air filter with check valves at each valve cover.

First 150mile drive to break in the engine I got 25mpg running around at a 13 AFR and the distributor set to stock advance numbers. Time to tune!
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: High MPG Ideas / Discussion Reply with quote

I used to run my MS'd Rabbit as lean as 18:1 at certain cruise loads. BUT, it had plenty of cooling for the head (water and oil). Dunno how lean you'd want to go on an ACVW motor w/o or even w/ a CHT gauge. I had it very lean and a lot of timing advance, it would cruise well on the flat but really wouldn't pull much of a hill w/o getting out of the really lean tuning (to the tune of 30+mpg @80mph).
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: High MPG Ideas / Discussion Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
Ignition is a digital CB Magnaspark that I'm running off the normal vacuum port on the carb.

Doesn't the CB setup need manifold vacuum and not ported vacuum? Big difference between the two.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: High MPG Ideas / Discussion Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
I'm moving this to the correct thread since it's straying away from the Jet-A-Vator idea.
Fine by me. I was just saying

It's been proven time and time again that high RPMs hurt fuel mileage.
Yes as such, but at the time I chimed in you were talking about getting up a hill, and then it is a different matter. Then it is a case of finding the spot where the engine bleeds enough torque to overcome the resistance in the drivetrain to maintain a certain speed.
Saying that keeping the RPM's between 2,500 and 4,000 is good for fuel mileage is nonsense. I'd like to see some sort of proof that driving like that does any good for the fuel mileage.
As long as we are talking carburated engines my statement holds water 95% of the way. as soon as we go over and talk fuel injection the whole thing changes a good deal. Then the lower "barrier" gets lowered with several hundred rpm. But still, even the real fuel saver cars with gasoline engines are typically geared to go in the neighbourhood of 2000- 2200 rpm @ 50 - 55 mph. For instance an Up 60 hp is 2260 rpm @ 50 mph and the Aygo/C1/108 trilogy is doing 2050 rpm @ 50 mph. These are 60-70 mpg cars.
One of the main reasons are that in a gasoline engine it is very difficult to create enough torque and hp to push the car along at "all speeds" with much lower rpms. Then you can of course increase displacement, but then you get more friction and higher motoring hp usage and it goes up in nothing.
If some of you are really into making a 1600 dual port engine fuel efficient WITHOUT loosing uphill power you should look more into modern engine thinking and accessories to help you reach your goal. The Magnaspark that Juanito refers to is definitely a step in the right direction.
generally there are two ways of doing it with an ACVW engine. The Berg way with reducing CR and basicly making the engine less powerfull so it does not need so much fuel, and can run pretty lean along with advanced ignition timing etc. OR you can go the other way and make the engine more efficient and keep or increase the power to when you need it. As I have menthioned many times before, a well built stock carburetted 1600 engine in a reasonably stock type beetle is easy to get to 36 -38 mpg on a 55 mph cruise. City driving simply deals with how much you use the power, so that can be anywhere from 20 to 28 mpg.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: High MPG Ideas / Discussion Reply with quote

Yes, Brian E is correct. The CB is meant to be run off manifold vacuum (below the throttle plate).
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: High MPG Ideas / Discussion Reply with quote

d'oh!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: High MPG Ideas / Discussion Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
I used to run my MS'd Rabbit as lean as 18:1 at certain cruise loads. BUT, it had plenty of cooling for the head (water and oil). Dunno how lean you'd want to go on an ACVW motor w/o or even w/ a CHT gauge. I had it very lean and a lot of timing advance, it would cruise well on the flat but really wouldn't pull much of a hill w/o getting out of the really lean tuning (to the tune of 30+mpg @80mph).

If it's tuned lean enough it will run cooler. Think of the extra air as inert gas that supports zero combustion.

The trick is to jet it to run leaner than 16:1 at low cruising loads and to run 13:1 at high accelerating throttle.

Brian_e wrote:
Juanito84 wrote:
Ignition is a digital CB Magnaspark that I'm running off the normal vacuum port on the carb.

Doesn't the CB setup need manifold vacuum and not ported vacuum? Big difference between the two.

Brian

Need to? Who says? It's a free world isn't it?

Anyhow, a lot of people don't know this, but other than at idle the vacuum advance and manifold vacuum signals are the same on a carburetor designed for a vacuum and mechanical advanced distributor.
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: High MPG Ideas / Discussion Reply with quote

[/quote]
Anyhow, a lot of people don't know this, but other than at idle the vacuum advance and manifold vacuum signals are the same on a carburetor designed for a vacuum and mechanical advanced distributor.[/quote]
I've found ported vacuum varies a bit from manifold vacuum. I agree it comes from the same source. Ported will drop off as the throttle plate moves away from the vacuum port at a higher rate than manifold vacuum drops off as the throttle opens. Other than that, I think your statement is well said.
Back to AFR, if you do a search for "lean to peak, aircraft" you'll come up with a lot of interesting reading about how aircraft engines are run all the time at 16:1 or 17:1 AFR at steady, fairly light loads without any damage, and fuel consumption drops by 20 percent. This is usually accompanied by very advanced spark timing. Good stuff.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: High MPG Ideas / Discussion Reply with quote

Bugsy61 wrote:
I've found ported vacuum varies a bit from manifold vacuum. I agree it comes from the same source. Ported will drop off as the throttle plate moves away from the vacuum port at a higher rate than manifold vacuum drops off as the throttle opens. Other than that, I think your statement is well said.

I originally wanted to use manifold vacuum. But I ran into a few problems. What I want is a spark table that's as efficient as possible at all RPM's and Loads. But that would mean running a much more advanced number at idle.

So option one was to hook up a signal to the CB Magnaspark distributor to force the timing to 7° BTDC. There's acutally a wire coming off the distributor just for this. The idea would be I could hook it up to something like the brake lights and get a normal 7° BTDC idle until I let off the brake lights. Then idle would pick up to a more efficient RPM as timing would switch to the efficient spark table. But for some reason I never could get the distributor to force the timing like it's supposed to.

So another option is to run manifold vacuum and just blend down all the low RPM and high vacuum area of the spark table to 7° BTDC. But that would mean I'd have areas that aren't efficient. Then Alstrup's allegation would really hold water, because I'd have to run less efficent at low RPM's.

So another option is to just idle at a high advance setting. This has been done time and time again by guys who run their vacuum advance straight off manifold vacuum. But I'm not sure what problems I'd run into exactly. For one, the engine would probably idle cooler. But I'm having trouble as it is to keep the engine warm, even with both a cooling shroud thermostat and an oil thermostat. And who knows what else to expect by trying to idle that way with this engine.

So I decided to just skip all the headaches and use ported vacuum. That way when idling it can be a nominal 7° BTDC, and then advance to whatever's most efficient anytime the throttle opens past the port.
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: High MPG Ideas / Discussion Reply with quote

I run somewhere around 14 to 16 btdc initial timing. Once you stray away from a stock engine in any way, you no longer have any reason to set initial timing at 7 btdc. Some of the draw through turbo guys used to run 24 btdc, locked. I'm not suggesting that you do that, but it's just an example of giving the engine what it wants depending on how much it's been modified.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 26

Jump to: