Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fog Lights
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed yesterday. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatCamper wrote:
Recent photo with one of the lens covers removed. IIRC I bought these from K-Mart in '98 or '99. They used to be on my '72 S beetle.

Cool, I just bought a nos set of Bosch Pilot fog lights and the sticker says K-Mart, can't read the price on there though. I paid 80 bucks and I am happy because they are not Chinese made. Cool
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Fog Lights Reply with quote

Resto-raider wrote:

Also fitted the Bosch foglight I bought some time ago. I used the original bumpermount hole because i didn't want to drill in my nice bumper.

Also mounted the second foglight. I like it but maybe I liked it even better with one foglight. But for now I'm happy.
Resto-raider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting my pics here Tcash.
I actually bought these 2 foglights on a flee market during a vacation in France. I was a bit reluctant to ask for the price, but when I did and he said $5 for the both I laughed on the inside.
kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW Addict wrote:

Nice...those actually look like the Harbor Freight fog lights. Is that so? For $13 it's hard to turn down and since I have pretty much the same bus I'll know how they look.

http://www.harborfreight.com/amber-lens-halogen-lights-37350.html

Turtel - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561195

Pisgah Bus Rally - New Year's Day
http://pisgahbusrally.blogspot.com/
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kkjellquist wrote:
VW Addict wrote:

Nice...those actually look like the Harbor Freight fog lights. Is that so? For $13 it's hard to turn down and since I have pretty much the same bus I'll know how they look.

http://www.harborfreight.com/amber-lens-halogen-lights-37350.html

They work awesome and are bright. Best bet-- I paid $1.99 for them plus shipping online! I think they look great and give it not only a good appearance, but these lights are bright in the fog too!

kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW Addict wrote:

They work awesome and are bright. Best bet-- I paid $1.99 for them plus shipping online! I think they look great and give it not only a good appearance, but these lights are bright in the fog too!

So they are the HF lights? Did you use the included switch? Might look around for a classic fog light switch.

Turtel - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561195

Pisgah Bus Rally - New Year's Day
http://pisgahbusrally.blogspot.com/
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if they are HF or not, I bought them online. Didn't say anything about HF. The package was a good 20+ years old, so they were def old, but NOS brand new in the package. I didn't use the toggle switch they gave me, I used another one, small and black that curves into the dash nicely right next to the headlight switch.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resto-raider wrote:
Thanks for posting my pics here Tcash.
I actually bought these 2 foglights on a flee market during a vacation in France. I was a bit reluctant to ask for the price, but when I did and he said $5 for the both I laughed on the inside.
That's cool man, don't you love a good deal. I just got a nos Marchal nipple light from the 50's for real cheap, I'm going to mount it on my high top roof like a cyclops. Cool

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
chrisradioman wrote:

I would take the foglamp switch's live feed, from the negative side of the front side-light switch.

resurrection of an old thread. Sorry if my questions are super basic, I have zero experience with wiring/electricity other than installing basic wiring harness for a stereo.

Questions:
Which place in the fuse panel should this be attached to?
Where is says fuse holder -20, is that a separate fuse that whats in the box? is this fuse holder something to purchase other than the relay? (can i get it at autozone?)
Where do i draw the power from the battery for this fuse holder?

Currently i have fog lights installed but nothing wired up. I have a switch and some wire in hand... I know i need to get a relay. Any help would be great.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Questions:

The feeder to the switch that operates the relay should come from headlight switch terminal 58 (taillight power). This way, the fog lights automatically go off when the headlight switch is pushed in.

Quote:
Where is says fuse holder (20 Amps), is that a separate fuse that whats in the box? is this fuse holder something to purchase other than the relay? (can i get it at autozone?)

If a fuse holder is not included in your fog light kit, buy one. Same for the relay. Autozone will have them. Make sure the wire leads coming out of the fuse holder are #12 gauge (the cheapie holders have #16 - way too small for this app). The relay needs to be 30 amp, minimum. 40 amp is better. Reason: incandescent lamps look pretty much like a dead short when cold, so the turn-on current surge is nasty. The relay needs to be able to take it.

Quote:
Where do i draw the power from the battery for this fuse holder?

The best place is the large lug on the starter. You can get power from the red wire going to the fuse panel, but you're adding more load to the stock harness. I'd run a #10 wire from the starter main lug up to the front of the bus. Make sure the yellow insulated ring terminal connecting this wire to the starter lug fits both the lug and wire well.

Quote:
Currently i have fog lights installed but nothing wired up. I have a switch and some wire in hand... I know i need to get a relay. Any help would be great.

The wires to the individual fog lamps need to be #14 gauge. Note: smaller wire will drop voltage, causing the light output to drop. Larger wire will allow too much turn-on current surge which shortens bulb life and could weld the relay on. Weird, but true...

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)

Last edited by telford dorr on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!! Your editing of the image is great too! Your reply should be linked on the tech tips, imo.
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question related to wiring a set of front and a rear fog lamp in my 75 Baywindow. This thread has the wiring diagram I needed for my new three-position fog lamp switch 111-959-631, so I thought I should post my question here.

Top Row (L to R)
#31 is ground, unmarked but I'm sure it's power-in, #83a going to the FRONT fog lamp relay
Bottom Row
#83b going to the REAR fog lamp

Wiring Diagram for front and rear fog lights, from August 1974

Telford says to power the switch from the taillight power from the headlight switch.

telford dorr wrote:
Quote:
Questions:

The feeder to the switch that operates the relay should come from headlight switch terminal 58 (taillight power). This way, the fog lights automatically go off when the headlight switch is pushed in.

The wiring diagram confirms this advice. I want to know if it would be ok to instead power the fog switch from the low beam circuit? Modern cars are wired as such to turn the fog lamps off when the high beams are on. Wouldn't powering the switch from the low beams turn off the fog lights automatically when using the high beams? I know from last summer's job of adding headlight relays that the low beam power comes from the #56b terminal on the dimmer relay. If I used #56b vs #58 would that cause me any problems?

Whether you are a novice or know your way around an ACVW, a day with Amskeptic is money well spent. My mechanical ability/knowledge/bus is always better after Colin visits.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/memberlist.php

Last edited by BellePlaine on Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

No problems. You are correct - it would tie fog light operation to the low beam circuit. Tying to terminal 58 allows independent fog light operation while guaranteeing that the fog lights won't get left on accidentally - the headlight switch will kill them.

Personally, having the headlights on in foggy conditions negates the effectiveness of true properly mounted fog lights by creating massive amounts of glare. Thus, for me, tying to the low beam circuit would be counterproductive. It would, however, control the total lighting load by switching off the fog lights when the high beams are on (which makes sense, as high beams render fog lights completely useless..)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

Thanks telford! I realized just now that I mistakenly thought that #56b was on the headlight switch, when it is fact on the dimmer relay. I edited my post with the correct information.

Whether you are a novice or know your way around an ACVW, a day with Amskeptic is money well spent. My mechanical ability/knowledge/bus is always better after Colin visits.
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:

Personally, having the headlights on in foggy conditions negates the effectiveness of true properly mounted fog lights by creating massive amounts of glare. Thus, for me, tying to the low beam circuit would be counterproductive. It would, however, control the total lighting load by switching off the fog lights when the high beams are on (which makes sense, as high beams render fog lights completely useless..)

I take your point about glare from the headlights. I just checked MN law and unfortunately they want my headlights on in the fog.
https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=169.48

telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

That's not unusual.

That's the difference between law and engineering: what is legal doesn't necessarily work, and vis versa.

An auxiliary single pole double throw switch that lets you switch the fog light circuit between terminals 56b and 58 would let your fog lights work properly when you really really need them, and be "legal" the rest of the time...
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

BellePlaine wrote:
telford dorr wrote:

I take your point about glare from the headlights. I just checked MN law and unfortunately they want my headlights on in the fog.

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=169.48

I don't think the Minnesota state legislature will win any prizes for clear, unambiguous English, but I suspect that hidden in this hiddeously complex verbiage, is provision for using just a matched pair of front foglamps and sidelights!?! Confused

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=169.56

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=169.60

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
I don't think the Minnesota state legislature will win any prizes for clear, unambiguous English, but I suspect that hidden in this hiddeously complex verbiage, is provision for using just a matched pair of front foglamps and sidelights!?! Confused

That's because it's written in "legal", a language which has no relationship to any other known language. The Queen surely would not recognize it; even the American public would have a hard time with it (most likely by intent...) "Legal", by design, only means whatever the next Judge to read it says it means. Rolling Eyes
GmanID
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

Looking at two options for HID fog lamps. One 4" and one is 7". Which size do you suggest?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: