Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine motor access hatch hack
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Humanure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Engine motor access hatch hack Reply with quote

Can someone point me in the direction of the thread about an engine access hack. From what I remember, a Type 3 hatch is used. I searched using many different keywords but with no luck. I guess the thread has a vague title. Here is a picture from the gallery of what I am referring too.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baywindow bus rear cargo section, all you have to do is find a scrapped baywindow bus & cut the section out & weld it into your bus. I have the section sitting in my backyard attached to a 77 bay & would be more then happy to sell it if your interested. You can PM me your e-mail address or e-me through one of my ads if you want to see some pictures & talk price..................................................James(MINTONMAN)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandysbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagon holes work also.they have a bigger hole.......
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Pyro's bus. I think he's going to put in a bigger better one or he already has or maybe I don't know diddly. Definitly easier access.
beelzibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a coincidence, I fitted one into my bus just today. Taken from a scrapped Type 3 fastback.
Very easy to do, took me about 2 hours start to finish.
Humanure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintonman, I came across a section in the classifieds but haven't heard back from the seller. If that falls through, I will get in touch with you.
beelzibus wrote:
That's a coincidence, I fitted one into my bus just today. Taken from a scrapped Type 3 fastback.
Very easy to do, took me about 2 hours start to finish.

Pics!
perthpanel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defo well worth doing , i'm putting one in my panel , as well as the bay window spare wheel well in the back ( my bulkhead is long gone ! ) and bay walk though Bulkheads Cool
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not getting what great advantage this access hatch mod. gives you.
Access to the carb? The fan shroud? The Generator? Is that it?
If its Generator access, I'd rather just pull the engine. You'd have to pull the generator four times to come out ahead timewise. I guess if you're on the road, the generator repair would be easier, but that's about it, as far as I can see.
Am I missing something here?

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humanure wrote:
mintonman, I came across a section in the classifieds but haven't heard back from the seller. If that falls through, I will get in touch with you.

Sounds good, it's not going anywhere as of yet, I still have to cut it out & I don't want to do any cutting until I talk to whoever is gonna get it so It can be cut the way whoever wants it cut, but I will say that the hatch itself does have a 3.5 to 4 inch round hole cut in it with a screen in it. I have no idea why this was done & as mentioned above I will be more then happy to e-mail pictures.

I'm with you on this mod Mr.Pickens, Maybe it makes it easier to set points, access the rear plugs & access those wonderfull upper motor mounting nuts behind the schroud, but other then that Rolling Eyes
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintonman wrote:
Maybe it makes it easier to set points, access the rear plugs & access those wonderfull upper motor mounting nuts behind the schroud, but other then that Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't hack up a split bus for this. But, hey, to each his own.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Nor would I.

I never had any problems getting to anything in my 59single's compartment, but I am happy my 79bay had that hatch, there is no room in a bay engine compartment, so I can see why VW added it in the bays & vanagons, but no need for a splitbus with all that room in the engine compartment Very Happy
beelzibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do it to a stock bus, but with a big motor with twin carbs etc it does make access considerably easier.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beelzibus wrote:
I wouldn't do it to a stock bus, but with a big motor with twin carbs etc it does make access considerably easier.

To what? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Humanure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not like I want to or like to cut up split Buses. This is my first Bus and the rear cargo area is in bad shape. Plus, I had a difficult time looking down inside the carb to see if it was getting fuel. Pain in ass to hold a little mirror, flash light and twist the throttle at the same time. If the cargo area was in great to decent shape, I would not touch it.
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so fix it, don't hack it. The time spent to fix it will increase the value. The time spent hacking it will decrease value and somebody else will have to undo what you do and fix it one day. how long do you plan on having the bus. Now be realistic and plan a year or two. Then think of every little fancy convenient modification every owner would, could or will do to your bus. When do we decide its not a splitty anymore. If you want an engine hatch, go buy a baywindow.
Olymale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say put in the hatch...it's your bus and no-one elses. Some of these guys on here think that they are the guru's of oe and if you had the chance to see some of their buses or bugs I bet 75% of them have some after-market stuff on them. What's the dif? If your going to run the old 36 - 40 horse single carb set-ups than leave well enough alone but for those of us that want the power to get around without slowing everybody else up I say do what needs done.
SBS #76

58 ragtop bug
60 sc
65 splitty
67 Square Back
85 911 Carrera
http://community.webshots.com/user/olymale
Humanure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckly wrote:
so fix it, don't hack it. The time spent to fix it will increase the value. The time spent hacking it will decrease value and somebody else will have to undo what you do and fix it one day. how long do you plan on having the bus. Now be realistic and plan a year or two. Then think of every little fancy convenient modification every owner would, could or will do to your bus. When do we decide its not a splitty anymore. If you want an engine hatch, go buy a baywindow.

I see it as not a hack. I consider a hack a chop top, cutting out the middle of the Bus and making it into a short Bus or putting a V8 into it. I never did any metal work before and see this as something very minimal and easy to repair. I plan on keeping this Bus until I die, same with my Bug. Both were firsts and would hate to let them go and later on in life want them back. I read too many posts in the forums of people wishing back their rides. I had a feeling the purists would show their disdain as I composed this topic. I am a purist to a certain degree. I repeat, if my cargo section was complete and undamaged, I would not touch it. Unfortunately it is and I see no problem in making it "a little bit better."
badvok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
beelzibus wrote:

To what? Confused

fitting an engine hatch, i guess that's what he means

a vangon hatch will give you very easy access to most everything you could ever need to get at
oring71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dont do it Evil or Very Mad
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olymale wrote:
I say put in the hatch...it's your bus and no-one elses. Some of these guys on here think that they are the guru's of oe and if you had the chance to see some of their buses or bugs I bet 75% of them have some after-market stuff on them. What's the dif? If your going to run the old 36 - 40 horse single carb set-ups than leave well enough alone but for those of us that want the power to get around without slowing everybody else up I say do what needs done.
i think that everyone is trying to fiqure out what the benifits will be. hacking in a rear access cover is not quite the same as putting on an aftermarket carb or paper aircleaner; it would not be that fun to have to fix later on. i'm with pickens, i really don't see any benifit from having one. i can access everything i my bus's engine compartment w/o one. i actually had to "fix" a hole someone cut into my bus over the engine about 2x3 feet. some dumbass po thought it would be an improvement Confused

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: