Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how do I repare steering wheel cracks
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: how do I repare steering wheel cracks Reply with quote

My 76's steering wheel has a crack on the left arm, and about a 1/8 gap in the arm on the other side. It is till sturdy, but the old plastic has cracked. The rest of the wheel is in good shape. Had a Bug with the same thing, but I put a cover over it.
I've thought about putting some sort of filler in, but don't know what kind to use- suggestions, tips?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: how do I repare steering wheel cracks Reply with quote

Eastwood has some epoxy made just for that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: how do I repare steering wheel cracks Reply with quote

do you have a link, or number? Not familiar with the name.
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: how do I repare steering wheel cracks Reply with quote

nevermind, I found it. Has anyone tried this stuff?
What a great place (Eastwood), thanks croftyest!!

http://www.eastwoodco.com/aspfiles/default.asp?UID=2003061914222357
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: how do I repare steering wheel cracks Reply with quote

POR-15 has a kit also. The price is shocking but look at the contents and see what items they recommend for repair and buy what you need seperately:

http://www.por15.com/restorationkits.html

Their epoxy putty on it's own is much cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: how do I repare steering wheel cracks Reply with quote

I have a couple of late Bay steering wheels with no cracks...if you're interested, email me at [email protected]....
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: how do I repare steering wheel cracks Reply with quote

You are better off getting a 78/79 wheel. They are soft rubber, do not crack or split, and are not red hot after sitting in the sun. And are a lot cheaper than trying to patch yours! Pmail me at [email protected], I have an extra one.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: how do I repare steering wheel cracks Reply with quote

Here's the difference between the two. The later model is much nicer.

http://homepage.mac.com/ratwell/.Pictures/MoreParts5/169-SteeringWheels.jpg
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: how do I repare steering wheel cracks Reply with quote

would a 78/79 wheel fit on my 76?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: