Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear wiper motor
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Rear wiper motor Reply with quote

So, I'm looking at installing the rear wiper motor setup on my 84 westy. I've had these parts for some time (wiper motor, rear washer bottle, wiper arm), etc laying around the garage.

Where was the washer bottle located in the 84 westies? What operated the rear wiper motor? Same steering column stalk that operates the front wipers?

I'm assuming this should install fairly easy, or is there metal brackets that I'll need in the rear door hatch?

Keep in mind my 84 did not have this option originally.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 90 non-westy, but i cant imagine the controls are different. Push and hold the wiper control towards the front of the car and it squirts washer fluid. Tap it and it turns the wiper on intermittently. Tap it twice and it turns them off.

This might be different for a westy, but the washer bottle is located on the passenger side of the car in the side paneling. About a foot up from the bed and about two feet towards the front of the car from the rear gate. Theres a hole in the panel that gets covered up by a plastic cover so the bottle can be filled. Hope this helps
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does, thanks. I guess I'll have to locate some pics of how the water tube ran from the bottle to the squirter at the top (?) of the rear hatch.

Lots of investigation to do. Gives me something to do for the weekends!

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tube goes up the side towards the passengers side top of the gate and through a hole in the top of the gate and down to the squirter (as well as the wires for the motor) IIRC, there is a rubber grommet/tube dealie that the wires slide in that protects them from the elements.

My washer tube broke in half at the top of the gate and shortly after fell down in the hatch. I dont feel like tearing apart the rear hatch and fishing it back up the hole, so there it stays. I guess keep that in mind when putting it all together? If there is anything that can be done to help stop that from happening, i would do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW the rubber boot that goes between the body and the gate on the pass side carries the wire and hose for the rear wiper. The boot on the other side carries the wire for the defroster. The boots are, like my boots, left and right. I fought a new boot into place after the old one turned to dust only to find that the dealer sold me two driver side boots and not one of each. For a replacement hose I used vacuum hose of the right size and it has worked for years.

Also, in the later non-westys (like my '89 GL) you can reach the hose on its way to the hatch by removing the pass side rear speaker.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: