Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

where can I get a locking glove box knob?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: where can I get a locking glove box knob? Reply with quote

I want a lockable glove box. Anyone have a locking knob w/ key they want to get rid of?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: where can I get a locking glove box knob? Reply with quote

No offense, but why? The stock glovebox door is pretty flimsy and anybody willing to break into your bus isn't going to think twice about destroying one more thing. I'd buy a small gun safe, there are several manufactures (ie Mossberg, Gunvault, etc) of decent ones and you can get them with key locks, number pads, timed locks, fingerprint pads, etc. Bolt it to the floor and it's much more secure.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: where can I get a locking glove box knob? Reply with quote

I have seen them here and on eBay. If you find a lock but need the lid I have one. Even with the lock it is about as secure as a toilet paper roll. A car alarm will do more good than anything else. That and the Truck Club.
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: where can I get a locking glove box knob? Reply with quote

Good points, but my rear hatch door doesn't lock either, so it isn't like I'm protecting FT. Knox. Besides, I live in a small town in NW PA where we can leave our house unlocked and not worry about it. I want to lock the glove compartment more to dissuade any would be thief than to really stop anyone.

Any idea where I can find a lock/key for my rear hatch?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: where can I get a locking glove box knob? Reply with quote

Any competent locksmith, not the keycutter at the local hardware store, should be able to make you a key in a few minutes.
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: where can I get a locking glove box knob? Reply with quote

The key goes in, but the lock seems to be messed up. It won't turn.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: where can I get a locking glove box knob? Reply with quote

It's probably corroded inside, have you tried taking it out and soaking it in WD-40, Breakfree, etc.?
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: where can I get a locking glove box knob? Reply with quote

It's supposed to be keyed all the same (except for the engine lid) but you never know what the PO did.

Contact Steve Sandlin <www.steveslockshop.com>. He can alter your hatch lock so that it matches the door/ignition keys. I don't think he needs the key, just the code stamped on it. If you don't have that you can give him the code stamped on the front doors. You and he can sort out the details...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: where can I get a locking glove box knob? Reply with quote

What year is your bus?
Since you have a latch on your glove box door, I am assuming it is a 76 and up?
I have found that bug glove box latches work perfectly on late bay buses. However, the key is thinner than any other key. You cannot have it match your R code key. I find bug latches in the wrecking yards a lot, but 90% of them are cheapo aftermarket latches that have no key code on them. The real VW ones have a code on them, i.e. SU198. I have an extra one that I had a key made for.
I also have a bunch of engine lid locks. Real VW locks, with keys for them cut to code [the key blanks are not VW], for bugs and buses. The bus ones are 68 and up.
Your bay should have a black hatch lock and a black engine lid latch. I have early L code bus lid locks, 72-75 chrome R code lid locks, and 76-79 black R code lid locks. I have some with no key yet, so I could recode those to match your key so one key will fit all. [but I would need your key to do it]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: