Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wind noise reduction on late model Vanagon
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Wind noise reduction on late model Vanagon Reply with quote

I came across two 89 Vanagons that have an extra rubber molding along the lower front edge of both front doors. I believe it is used to fill in the gaps when the doors are closed. As installing these on my 87 require removing the doors, not an easy thing to do with the wiring still attached. I am wondering if there are members who own more than one Vanagon with both versions ( with and without the rubber ) can tell me if this mod indeed reduce the wind noise.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I've been told by well-reputed sources that those moldings are for the express purpose of reducing noise (a high speed whistling). I've also been told there are ways to get them on/off without removing the doors if you have the right tools. I've never done it myself so don't know the procedure.

Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of this, nor seen it. Does anyone have an image of what they look like? I'm curious as to how they would even fit, or perform ther intended function.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
I've never heard of this, nor seen it. Does anyone have an image of what they look like? I'm curious as to how they would even fit, or perform ther intended function.

I don't have any pics but they are like a rubber gasket that fills the space between the front door edge and body when the door is closed. They are long, narrow, black and attach to the inside of the front doors. Just a chunk of rubber to break up the wind coming through the gap at higher speeds. If you have any '89-'91 vanagons in your berg then have a close look. They might have come on some '88's too - I don't know. Some folks with '87's and earlier like to find these in junkyards and put 'em on. In addition to noise suppression they may provide a little extra temperature insulation.

Bob
torocreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an 1989. The upper piece (the flat one next to the door weatherstrip) in the first picture starts at the top of the door and terminates a little below the vent window. This appears to be a glue on piece.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The second picture shows the strip between the front of the door and the body. This attaches to the body not the door. I did not want to pry to see if it is glued or in a channel. If you find it at a junkyard you can pull one off and make a judgement as to whether it is easy to replace or not. Not much room but would depend on how it is attached. Hopefully another member who has taken one off will answer that one.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
folks with '87's and earlier like to find these in junkyards and put 'em on. In addition to noise suppression they may provide a little extra temperature insulation.

Bob

The rubber fits in a channel and the channel is attached to the body using several small screws. I am sure the door need to be removed in order to drill the holes for the screws, that is if you are fitting it to an earlier Vanagon.

WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevey88 wrote:
The rubber fits in a channel and the channel is attached to the body using several small screws. I am sure the door need to be removed in order to drill the holes for the screws, that is if you are fitting it to an earlier Vanagon.

Steve,

I've met a couple of people who've done it without removing the door but they used special tools (like a mini-right angle drill) and innovation. I've not tried any of this myself but seem to recall one person temporarily disconnected the central door stop. I don't know if this works but you'd have to be careful the door doesn't open so wide to crimp against the body.

Bob
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know whether any vendors carry those rubber strips? Seems like a cool idea.
Cheers,
Kev
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hwy1westy wrote:
Anyone know whether any vendors carry those rubber strips? Seems like a cool idea.
Cheers,
Kev

You also need the metal channels so the scrap yard is your best bet.

Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a seal like the upper one at Lowe's today. They sell it next to home weather stripping. I don't know why they sell automotive gasketing, but they do. After I get it installed, I'll let you know how it works.
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
Steve,

I've met a couple of people who've done it without removing the door but they used special tools (like a mini-right angle drill) and innovation. I've not tried any of this myself but seem to recall one person temporarily disconnected the central door stop. I don't know if this works but you'd have to be careful the door doesn't open so wide to crimp against the body.

Bob

Just went to PicknPull to get the channels. The doors of this van are gone already so it is easy for me to remove them.They are attached by 4 screws each side, 3 has hex head and one is Philips ( why? ). I have to remove two of the hex head screws through the door hinge holes. The metal work for the 89 and my 87 for at the channel mounting is also different. The 89 has two raised " islands " for the center two mounting taps. The " islands" are slanted so it is easier for putting the screws in but I don't think this is a problem for us, what we have is time.

Bob,
I will try to see if it is possible to leave the door in place. If not, I can always build a wood frame to rest the door on when I remove them with the wires still attached.
Steve

D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the 88-91 front door seals are part of the flow through ventilation redesign that necessited adding the black vents to the rear windows.

Prior to 1988 the stale air extractors were built into the rear portion of the front doors. Air entering these vents exited the van through the low pressure area in the door jam at the front of the front door. When they added the additional seals they blocked off the stale air extractors at the front doors (with gaffers tape!) and relocated the stale air vents to the back. You can still do the retrofit, but to keep the flow through ventilation the way the factory intended you should also add the rear windows and plastic vents from the donor van.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIRD84WESTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: late model front door seals Reply with quote

This is a nice mod for those earlier Vanagons that don't have the extra front door seal/molding. Just did it to my 84 Westy, along with other wind noise/sound proofing ideas from this forum. It is quieter on the freeway. Very Happy
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thought is to leave the door in place; pull the interior door panel & drill holes from the inside

you could then perhaps use sheet metal screws with a small close quarters (right angle) screwdriver

or pop rivets from the inside to attach the seal

interested to see pics of all this and hear how it works out
BIRD84WESTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Front door seals Reply with quote

Its not hard pulling doors, and I don't see how it would work without, having just done it. I pulled the doors on the junker, got the seals out, went home, pulled my doors, cleaned and test fit seals, drilled holes, mounted them, then put my doors back on. The only thing that you need is another set of hands to mount your doors back on. Not that much time, about 2 hrs total.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those front doors have to come out. They aren't easy to get them out even with the door removed. They attach to the body just behind the nose, not on the door.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this thread I bought some window seal rubber :

http://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Rubber-Hollow-Sealed...mp;sr=8-20

and applied it to the front doors as in torocreek's picture and it eliminated a lot of the wind noise. It is a cheap, quick fix.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
After reading this thread I bought some window seal rubber :

http://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Rubber-Hollow-Sealed...mp;sr=8-20

and applied it to the front doors as in torocreek's picture and it eliminated a lot of the wind noise. It is a cheap, quick fix.

Pictures of the install please.
wolfsburg4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can install these rubber pieces on earlier vans, but late model vans actually have a dedicated little bump or"stub out" on the body for the metal strip to screw to. You will see this when you remove them from a late model van. You can add some washers to make up for the lack of this "bump". If you don't add the washers, the metal strip won't fit correctly.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see a picture of these installed on an 87 or earlier. A picture of the raised bump on a 88 up would be nice to. I have just about all the parts needed to install these on my 87 Westy but they are NOS parts so didn't get to see them mounted on a van. I just need the rear windows and vents to go ahead with this project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: