Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dove blue ppg problems
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: dove blue ppg problems Reply with quote

I went to my jobber to get dove blue vw L31, ppg 11668, in single stage last week. got there and they said they didn't have the formula for dcc concept ppg in that number, could only mix it in omni. OK, it was waay cheaper so I thought I'd try it, they mixed up 3 quarts. Was in a hurry, didn't look at it, took it home (35 miles) and got ready to spray this weekend. Saturday, Got all ready to mix, got the can open and it was navy gray, nasty dirt color. Went back (35 miles) and they shot a og factory panel with that magic camera thing, mixed up a batch and it came out the same grey crap color. Spent 2 hours hanging around while they custom mixed a vat of home brew dove blue. So much for my saturday.

Anyone else have problems ordering ppg single stage with the #11668?
diy570
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did they throw the can on the shaker for a bit before you opened it? if not, that's probably why it looked grey. once you mix it up good, it should look close to what it is.
the omni formula is not really all that good of a match to begin with, but it's in the general ballpark and good enough if you are just doing a quick paint job for a driver. ppg's DBC basecoat formula is way off as well. the best bet if you wanna use ppg is what you did, either have them shoot it with the camera or have a good paint guy bench mix it.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they mixed it, both times. And that's what we ended up doing, a bench mix to match my panel. More I thing of it the only thing I can figure is one of their tint cans is not right. How else could the mix by code and the camera scan come up with the same, wrong color. Oh well, at least I get to paint today Very Happy
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this custom made by PPG... Looks great, it's on a cover! (full gallon Concept)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omni is known for poor matches and lower quality toners that just plain make everything "off". The Concept I had made is very acceptable, maybe a little too "bright" for the purists... Here is an example of my Concept Dove mix. (actual Bus per mix formula pic!)

All the same Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some dove blue in ppg on Friday. It's also called marine blue and also found on range rovers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: