Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

good old aux. battery
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: good old aux. battery Reply with quote

Hello again everone, i have a 74 westy and i have a couple aux questions. first question. i have my battery in, fully charged, neg hooked up, pos hooked up and no cold in fridge. there is another mystery wire coming off the pos batery terminal. WHERE DOES THIS GO!!! second, is there some switch besides the one on the fridge itself that actually allows accessories to be run up front(fridge while driving or 110v outlets) i would like to chill my beer on the way to the campground this weekend and not have to wait until the shore power hookup. thanks alot everyone.
dana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: good old aux. battery Reply with quote

anyone????????????
dana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: good old aux. battery Reply with quote

are you sure?????????????????????
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: good old aux. battery Reply with quote

Patience, darn it!

Don't know what the mystery wire does.

To troubleshoot, you need to cover a lot of questions. Here goes:

Is your fridge wired to the aux battery? Is there current coming out of that battery?
Is your isolater working? (Is there current on one side and not the other?) Can current flow from whatever the source of the electrons is to the area of the fridge?
Is there an in-line fuse between battery/relay and the fridge? Is there power coming into the fridge.
Has your fridge worked before? Is it turned on? Is there a fuse on the fridge? Do you have the thermostat on the fridge adjusted to "cold"? You imply that it works on shore power, so it must run on 110 volts? (Mine only works on 110 volts, so I run it on an inverter coming off the battery.)
If all else fails, can you run a temporary jumper (fused, of course) from the battery to the fridge? Does this make things run?

Have a good time at the lake!

Larry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: good old aux. battery Reply with quote

When I bought my bus it too had an aux battery with some mystery wires. I think the solution is to understand what should be going to where and then it will all be clear. You may have an extra battery running to another terminal to power something else. I had an extra wire going to a cigarette lighter that the previous owner added himself. It was coming directly from the battery!

I have posted this link before, but this guy has his stuff down. The diagram is simplistic and explain alot. Take a look at it and let me know if this helps, otherwise I have done alot with my battery and may be able to help out.

http://www.geocities.com/harald_nancy/isolator.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: good old aux. battery Reply with quote

where is this aux fuse panel? does anyone know? should i also get power out of my 110v outlet while aux battery is hooked up. there seems to be no switch to turn it on or off like the fridge.
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: good old aux. battery Reply with quote

The 110v outlet will not work unless you have shore power (an extension cord)hooked up. The aux battery will not power the outlet- it only puts out 12V.
The aux battery will only power the things it is hooked up to. I believe the only thing it will power (stock wiring) is the fridge.

Check here under the external power section to get a better understanding of the system:
http://www.type2.com/bartnik/csmanual.htm
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: good old aux. battery Reply with quote

Does the aux battery need to be hooked up in order to run the fridge? I tried running it off of city power and got nothing.

-=Rob
'77 Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: