Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle transaxle ratio questions
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VSarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Beetle transaxle ratio questions Reply with quote

Long time since Ive posted.

My trike has a 1600 motor with a mild cam and a stock 4 speed. At least it's stock as far as I know. She's got some umph and cracks 95 with no real effort.

But the tranny ratios do not seem quite right to me. 1st gear is fairly short only good for about 15 maybe 20 mph. 2nd is good up to about 35 or so and then the rpm's may go up but the speed doesn't. 3rd is the monster and will take her well over 65-70 and feels like it could keep going. Then the shift into 4th almost feels like a drop in speed or umph for a second before it comes on. From there it pulls great.

Wrote down it sounds decent but in real life on St Louis streets it translates into about 1-2 seconds in first, almost not worth using.

So where do I find a code or numbers on the tranny to ID the unit? Is it possible to rework the gearing to be more comfy and usable in a trike which weighs maybe 900lbs? Two dudes can pick her up, one in front and one in the back without an extreme amount of effort.

Sarge
Nice lonnnng front end from 1979 Honda
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surf some of the HP parts sites like Gene Berg or CB Performance to find out what your current ratios are. Your only real options are the 3.88 KG ring and pinion and either leave 4th gear alone for a higher cruising gear or install a lower 4th and possibly 3rd for better through the gears performance.

Without spending big bucks you are stuck with the low first gear.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

then there's always the cheap way to extending every gear's effective ratio - put taller tires on the rear. (what size tires do you have now, by the way?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VSarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of the size but the tires are actually stockers on stock rims for now.

Sarge
Swing Arm frame
Stock 4 spd tranny - no reverse gate (crap!)
1966/67 rear brakes wheel cylinders from front of 1966 Bug
1934 Chevy headlight
Custom leading link front end
Ford Ranger rims
P225/60R15 rear tires
GoldWIng front tire
Body is fiberglass nose from semi
One ugly exhaust, heavily rusted, set up for heat??? On a trike??
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have stock tires/rims on my 62, and I have 215/75R15 on the back of my Baja bug, and the difference in range (same tranny gearing) between the two cars is quite noticable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: