Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel tank filler hose FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KailuaVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well I found the source of my strong fuel small in the garage,
The second fuel outlet nipple that was plugged had been leaking slowly.
I tightened it and it's not leaking any more. Seems kinda ghetto though. Makes me concerned being right above the starter and all of that electoral stuff. Any other solutions for plugging that unused side?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

KailuaVeeDub wrote:
Any other solutions for plugging that unused side?

Your braided hose will likely not play well with today's alcohol laced fuels. Replace ALL your braided fuel hose with either 30r9 or 30r14 hose or their European equivalents. Do not use hoses such as 30r6 or 30r7 no matter what the guy at the autoparts tries to tell you.
KailuaVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

Copy that. I was told braid was what I need. I'll swap it out. What size do I need? 7mm 5.5mm?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

KailuaVeeDub wrote:
Copy that. I was told braid was what I need. I'll swap it out. What size do I need? 7mm 5.5mm?

The 5/16 Gates Barricade 30r14 is what you should look for. A 5/16" 30r9 hose will work as well, but will likely cost more. Using FI style hose clamps is a plus.
bus68us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

I cleaned my 77's gas tank about 2 years ago an used the MB filler hose. I really didn't have much issue installing it, It seemed stressed but secure once everything was installed in the bus. I used the old VW clamps (probably a mistake).

Last night (around 2am) I stopped for gas on the way home from work. I put the pump nozzle in, turned it on and locked the pump (also big mistake). While the gas was going I got my light out to investigate a squeak from my left front wheel when I looked back and saw a flood of gas coming from the lower gas tank opening (where the fuel lines connect) and smoke coming from the hot exhaust. Shocked Shocked Shocked .... I quickly shut off the gas and pushed my bus back and away from the giant pool of gas on the ground.

Gas was EVERYWHERE!! Once the panic stopped and threat of fire was gone I checked and realized the filler pipe had popped loose from the MB filler hose between it and the tank. I was only a mile from home but didn' want to drive with all that gas in and around the battery, starter, exhaust, etc... My wife came and towed me..... at 3am. Confused Confused

I don't want to outright, 100% blame the short, straight MB hose but now that I've gotten in there via the pie plate and tried to re-attach it I'm reminded just how short and just how stressed it is being bent to fit this application. This definitely was a contributing factor along with the stress of the fully inserted pump nozzle and probably the stock clamps.

Luckily, my bus didn't burn down last night. But this situation scared the shit out of me. 2nd time in 20 years I've dodged what I thought was an imminent fire with a bus.

I think I'm going to go with a longer piece of NAPA hose that will cover more area of the filler pipe and also use a couple of wider, higher quality clamps. Any other suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

bus68us wrote:
I cleaned my 77's gas tank about 2 years ago an used the MB filler hose. I really didn't have much issue installing it, It seemed stressed but secure once everything was installed in the bus. I used the old VW clamps (probably a mistake).

Last night (around 2am) I stopped for gas on the way home from work. I put the pump nozzle in, turned it on and locked the pump (also big mistake). While the gas was going I got my light out to investigate a squeak from my left front wheel when I looked back and saw a flood of gas coming from the lower gas tank opening (where the fuel lines connect) and smoke coming from the hot exhaust. Shocked Shocked Shocked .... I quickly shut off the gas and pushed my bus back and away from the giant pool of gas on the ground.

Gas was EVERYWHERE!! Once the panic stopped and threat of fire was gone I checked and realized the filler pipe had popped loose from the MB filler hose between it and the tank. I was only a mile from home but didn' want to drive with all that gas in and around the battery, starter, exhaust, etc... My wife came and towed me..... at 3am. Confused Confused

I don't want to outright, 100% blame the short, straight MB hose but now that I've gotten in there via the pie plate and tried to re-attach it I'm reminded just how short and just how stressed it is being bent to fit this application. This definitely was a contributing factor along with the stress of the fully inserted pump nozzle and probably the stock clamps.

Luckily, my bus didn't burn down last night. But this situation scared the shit out of me. 2nd time in 20 years I've dodged what I thought was an imminent fire with a bus.

I think I'm going to go with a longer piece of NAPA hose that will cover more area of the filler pipe and also use a couple of wider, higher quality clamps. Any other suggestions?

Been a while since I did mine, but I think the MB hose is longer than the original hose. I know mine was a bitch to get on.
bus68us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

It’s a little shorter. And since it’s straight and not curved the whole operation seems more difficult.

Has anyone tried a generic filler hose with a 45 degree bend? I may give it a go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

bus68us wrote:
It’s a little shorter. And since it’s straight and not curved the whole operation seems more difficult.

Has anyone tried a generic filler hose with a 45 degree bend? I may give it a go.

The original hose for a '77 would have been straight or nearly so, so I would not think you would want a hose with a 45° bend in it. How about some pictures of your set up? Something just doesn't seem right.
bus68us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
bus68us wrote:

The original hose for a '77 would have been straight or nearly so, so I would not think you would want a hose with a 45° bend in it. How about some pictures of your set up? Something just doesn't seem right.

Here's a pic of the original vs the MB

This is a NAPA hose I picked up and shortened

This is the final install. the hose was snug and secure without clamps unlike the MB when I installed it. Unfortunately I don't have pics of that install
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

You don't happen to have an actual part # for the hose, do you?

bus68us wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
bus68us wrote:

Here's a pic of the original vs the MB

This is a NAPA hose I picked up and shortened

This is the final install. the hose was snug and secure without clamps unlike the MB when I installed it. Unfortunately I don't have pics of that install

Leo Chico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

1970 Tin top westy bus: fuel smell particularly when tank is really full, I think it could be the fuel filler hose....

Can this be replaced with out dropping the engine?

Without cutting an access hole?

Can anyone help with the shopping list, or direct me to any kit available?

Any experts in NorCal that I can go to, it's starting to smell inside the bus as well and could be fire hazard.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

Leo Chico wrote:
Can this be replaced with out dropping the engine?.

No, and an access hole won't help either (unless it's gigantic).
But it's so easy to drop the engine on a 70 why not do it the right way?, the filler hose, vent lines and sender could all use some attention and there's likely some seals and tin on the front of the engine that need work while it's easy to reach too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

Leo Chico wrote:
1970 Tin top westy bus: fuel smell particularly when tank is really full, I think it could be the fuel filler hose....

Can this be replaced with out dropping the engine?

Without cutting an access hole?

Can anyone help with the shopping list, or direct me to any kit available?

Any experts in NorCal that I can go to, it's starting to smell inside the bus as well and could be fire hazard.

If your fill hoses and rubber vent hoses are original, that's the root cause of the smell. I had the same issue in my 70' bus. After I changed the hoses, the smell was gone.

Check with BusDepot for the hoses as I'm sure they have them. As Busdaddy stated, there's no shortcuts to do this. The engine has to come out.

I know a couple mobile VW bus mechanics that would come to your place and do this work if you need it done. Much cheaper than a shop.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Leo Chico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks Bill and Bus Daddy, I'm leaning to pull the motor or have it done, just now dealing with a fuel pump issue.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

This video surely deserves FAQ status.

Link

More here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634063&view=next

BTW, I don't know about this pie plate thing. Seems more like a paint lid to me.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: