Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel tank filler hose FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to dig up an old thread but I guess there are two versions of the filler neck setup. One with a long metal center tube and a short bottom rubber connector piece and one with a short metal center tube and a long rubber bottom connector. I have a '75 and I have the short metal center tube. And I also need the long rubber bottom piece that Karl has posted.

Could I use a heater hose piece or does it have to be fuel line rated.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several solutions to your question have already been given earlier in this thread, chose one and go for it.

Do not use radiator hose, it will not last.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check with Scott at German Supply to see what he uses then buy it from him. His hoses are excellent and they fit better than the current NAPA hoses which are made in Mexico as general replacements. What RAtwell got at NAPA is no longer available. You are wasting your money to buy the NAPA hose as you will fight with it for a long time and not be satisfied with the fit. Scott's stuff fits.
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I'm going to buy the long metal pipe and use the short hose piece. I have the short hose piece from Scott already because I thought that is what I had until I took it apart. Scott has the long pipe so I am going with that.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
check with Scott at German Supply to see what he uses then buy it from him. His hoses are excellent and they fit better than the current NAPA hoses which are made in Mexico as general replacements. What RAtwell got at NAPA is no longer available. You are wasting your money to buy the NAPA hose as you will fight with it for a long time and not be satisfied with the fit. Scott's stuff fits.

x2 Scotts solution is what is in my 74 right now. Problem solved. Period.

73 Super Beetle (sold),78 Triple White Vert, 74 Westy, 2008 City Jetta, 2008 Audi A4 2.0 T, 2009 Teardrop Trailer. 2009 Suzuki SV650A
patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm replacing all fuel lines in my bus ('75 1.8 EFI) & have the shorter metal pipe/longer rubber hose w/ bend. I was planning to do the bent exhaust pipe solution offered in this thread. It looks like German Supply's kit is out of stock.
I did find this on the NAPA website, which looks like it may be another possible solution... available prebent 2.25" ID hose http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(l5brxb45f2gdutqwsiozc545))/Detail.aspx?R=NBH1056_0244167239#

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's available in either 45 or 90 bend. Anybody see a problem with this as a solution?

yuthi'so'coro
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Bus Boys today to see if they had hoses in addition to the fuel filler neck.

The guy told me to buy a "Gates Hose" at NAPA, part #70739. He said it would need to be kinked.

Not sure how well it works, but that's what he recommended.
patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's that part http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(hfj3juj1lskqnvatu0tuzt55))/Detail.aspx?R=GAT70739_0000999999

Doesn't mention sizes. Seems a hose designed for petro would be more appropriate. This hose may be more 'bendable' -- I would rather have durability than flexibility... don't intend to do the job again for a LONG time! The local NAPA has both 45 & 90 degree prebent gas hose in stock. I'm going to take the OG hose in and compare it with those. Might end up going the bent exhaust pipe route.

Does Bus Boys have the OEM VW filler neck still? I was under the impression they were NLA.

yuthi'so'coro
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patayres wrote:

Does Bus Boys have the OEM VW filler neck still? I was under the impression they were NLA.

Yep, thank God. Just ordered mine today. The ones that are unavailable are those for buses with catalytic converters.
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of you saying Scott at German Supply's solution is best:

Can the metal hose for 72-73 buses here...

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16725

...work on a 75 bus?

I ask because VW76Westy used something like it on his bus:

vw76westy wrote:

[/img]

Or should I just play it safe and stick to this?

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16590
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind. the metal part isn't even in stock at German Supply
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIOMX wrote:
Never mind. the metal part isn't even in stock at German Supply

Scott may just make them on demand, give him a call. I think the part works up through whenever VW eliminated the rubber elbow, '75 or so. You can also just get the pipe off of a '76 and newer bus and retrofit it onto the '74-75s.
bherder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveStevieStevens wrote:
The napa hose number is 1055 it's 2 1/4" tubing. I just replaced mine on Saturday. If I did it again I wouldn't cut the tube at an angle like Ratwell mentioned, there's enough play in the filler tube that you can cut the hose a little long and get it to bend. I didn't feel 100% comfortable with the fit I got on the angled cut. Maybe I just cut it at too steep of an angle though.

I also got some camper top sealing foam tape to re-seal the firewall and around the hole where the tank goes through the frame. Hopefully it'll keep the dust and grease out. Looks nice and clean compared to the original foam that was used.

Ahoy from the split bus forum! I'm trying to install a 1968-71 gas tank into my split. I bought some 1055 hose from napa, and I returned it since I couldn't get it to fit on the bay gas tank, or the filler neck that I cut off of my split gas tank.

It does fit? Need to use some lube or something? Very Happy

Parts manual:
http://oacdp.org/
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bherder wrote:

Ahoy from the split bus forum! I'm trying to install a 1968-71 gas tank into my split. I bought some 1055 hose from napa, and I returned it since I couldn't get it to fit on the bay gas tank, or the filler neck that I cut off of my split gas tank.

Did you measure the size of your openings to verify they were 2 1/4 inch or there about. The NAPA hose is very thick and hard to deal with if its the stuff I am thinking about. This is a good use for WD40 and a radiator hose pick. The original VW hose was much thinner than the NAPA stuff and easier to use. Don't know what Scott sells, maybe he will chime in.
onion456
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patayres wrote:
I'm replacing all fuel lines in my bus ('75 1.8 EFI) & have the shorter metal pipe/longer rubber hose w/ bend. I was planning to do the bent exhaust pipe solution offered in this thread. It looks like German Supply's kit is out of stock.
I did find this on the NAPA website, which looks like it may be another possible solution... available prebent 2.25" ID hose http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(l5brxb45f2gdutqwsiozc545))/Detail.aspx?R=NBH1056_0244167239#

It's available in either 45 or 90 bend. Anybody see a problem with this as a solution?

i recently used this hose to replace mine, it was a real bitch to install but it did work.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bherder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
bherder wrote:

Did you measure the size of your openings to verify they were 2 1/4 inch or there about. The NAPA hose is very thick and hard to deal with if its the stuff I am thinking about. This is a good use for WD40 and a radiator hose pick. The original VW hose was much thinner than the NAPA stuff and easier to use. Don't know what Scott sells, maybe he will chime in.

I measured the opening on my split filler pipe and the 68 tank. It measures around 2 3/8 which is just enough to make the napa 2 1/4 hose a bitch to put on. I can't find a place that sells a 2 3/8 corrugated fuel hose.

Parts manual:
http://oacdp.org/
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 3/8" is the OD of 2" steel pipe so this size hose should have a lot of uses and be available. I had no problem buying the correct size in straight hose at my local NAPA, but have never tried to use corrugated as I deemed it too stiff the make the needed bend.

For those who have bought this hose, what is the NAPA part number and is the hose rated for gasoline use?

patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=NBH1057_0258665296

NBH 1057 is the part #

I took my '75 OG filler hose in to compare back when I did the job & found that the 45* NAPA hose did not have enough of a bend, so I went the bent exhaust pipe route with straight hose. It is rated for gasoline use, though.

yuthi'so'coro
dubluvv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw76westy wrote:
just buy the strait gas filler hose
then take old hose & new strait hose with you to your local
exhaust shop tell them you want a elbow with the same bend
as old hose that will be a perfect fit inside new hose.
before they bend pipe check the fit yourself ,making sure its a snug fit
explain what you are doing & they will handle the rest in about 5 min

I did EXACTLY that when I changed mine out and it has worked excellent. Cost me all of $15 to have them bend me up a piece of pipe, and it is SO much easier to work with.

'76 Westy 2.0L FI "Lucy" Project Thread
'84 Rabbit L Diesel - Potential Greasecar Project

[quote="chazz79"]"Aw honey, I got another one of those bay-bus things on my shoe again...dammit"[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GratefulGerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Veedubbers,

here in Germany we`ve also had problems to find a good replacement fuel hose. A good solution is found with the fuelhose of the Mercedes Sprinter which fits to the short hose bay models. The Mercedes part number is 901 476 00 26. Sorry, unfortunately I got no picture of it.

In UK there`s a shop selling also the long hose version click.

Hope this post can help you.

regards
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: