Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 vanagon backfiring through carb?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: 79 vanagon backfiring through carb? Reply with quote

I have a 77 vanagon with a 79 california motor in it. It's backfiring through the carb. According to the distributor my timing is supposed to be at 7.5º BTDC. So I set it there and it's still doing it. It won't idle on its own, I have to keep on the throttle. I set the timing with a test light on the condenser and a ground, after putting the notch on the crank pulley inline with the 7.5º plastic timing tab. Any suggestions?
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No such animal as a 77 Vanagon.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither US '77 or '79 Transporters came with either single progressive or dual carbs, so whatever you have is far from stock.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 vanagon backfiring through carb? Reply with quote

Dennovw wrote:
Any suggestions?

I suggest posting this in the Bay Window forum: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Dennovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sorry about the vanagon thing. The guy who owns it asked me to post this, told me it was a vanagon. I'm just now getting into the busses. I thought it was a bay but went against my better judgement. It was taken from FI to carb btw. Anyway, thanks, post moved.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valves not closing or seating fully can cause backfiring, so check the valve adjustment and do a compression test.

Intake leaks and exhaust leaks can also cause backfiring so check for both. The intake boots on a progressive manifold set up are suspect as are the manifold to head gaskets.

A lean running carb or timing that is way off can do the same. Progressives typically get jetted way rich to overcome the dead spot off idle, but who knows what has been done to this particular setup.

The best timing is 28-30° BTDC at 3500+ rpms, hose(s) off.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 vanagon backfiring through carb? Reply with quote

Dennovw wrote:
I have a 77 vanagon with a 79 california motor in it. It's backfiring through the carb. According to the distributor my timing is supposed to be at 7.5º BTDC. So I set it there and it's still doing it. It won't idle on its own, I have to keep on the throttle. I set the timing with a test light on the condenser and a ground, after putting the notch on the crank pulley inline with the 7.5º plastic timing tab. Any suggestions?

Sounds really retarded to me. The timing, I mean! Wink Twist the distributor clockwise while its running and see how that goes. If it solves your problem, please verify the marks as good and use a timing light to set max timing as 30* at ~3000 RPMs. Air-cooleds are pretty sensitive to timing and you can burn a valve with too much advance.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: