Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear bumper mounts?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: rear bumper mounts? Reply with quote

Howdy. OK I am trying to take off my drivers side rear bumper bracket. There are 2 bolts holding it on. 1 bolt came off no problem. The other bolt is just spinniing. It seems as if the "nut" on the inside is broken. I am not sure because I can not see what is in there. On the rear of the bus there is a little hole. I can not see in there, it is too small, but it seems as if that is where the nut is. I am not sure how to get the bolt off. I need to remove the bumper bracket so that I can do some rust repair. Any suggestions.
Should I cut a hole in the engine compartment to access the nut or what. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a torch or access to one? Cutting a hole through the engine compartment will not help, that channel is boxed. Have the head of the bolt cut off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then how would I attach the new bolt? wouldn't I have to attach a nut?
NOVA Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wedge the bracket to keep the bolt from spinning, then use an angle grinder to take the head off. For the replacement bolt, you could tap larger threads in the "box section" of the frame strut.

It would also be possible to have someone tack-weld a threaded stud in the same hole location, then use a nut to secure the bracket, though the other bolts would provide the bulk of the holding power.
- Brown Beige plaid P27 Interior (ED)
http:/[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-29638.png]Click to view image
Camper Interior donor:
[/URL]/www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=721 (M-Code for interior).
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your only option is to grind or burn it off, cut a horizontal slot in the side of the framerail at the bottom just big enough to slip in a piece of 1"x 1/4" bar with a tapped hole in it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drill a hole right beside the nut on the side of the frame rail. Slip a piece of square steel into the hole and wedge the nut so it won't move while you loosen it up, then fish the nut out of a hole in the frame with a magnet.

If you have a welder, or access to one cut out a hole, weld the nut back in place and weld the hole over. If not, enlarge the hole so a thin box wrench can slip in to hold the nut. The frame won't be as strong, but for impact it'll be stronger than having only one bolt holding that side of the bumper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I will attack this project this weekend and let you all know how it comes out
boat_builder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm struggling with the exact same problem tonight Shocked Shocked

One bolt is just spinning.

I've tried drilling a hole down through the frame from the top, and I could wedge a screwdriver on the nut, but the nut is also seized on the bolt.

You can't get in there with an angle grinder because its too close to the engine mounting bracket. Can't even get near it with a hacksaw.

I'm going to try to drill through the head of the bolt, but its gonna be tough to stop it from turning round, maybe a spot of weld on it first.

Then when I get the damn thing off, I'll just put a long bolt down through from inside the engine compartment.

A classic example of how a simple job can turn into a nightmare.
youslayme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too... i currently have the bumper off, one bracket off... and one bolt off the other bracket... and then one thats spinnin.. oh well.. ill get it soon.. lol
dweller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how'd they get a nut on it to begin w/ if it's not a threaded hole?

i lost one also so one side has only one bolt. Some kid rearended me at a stoplight a few months ago, Mad that side took the worse impact but damaged only the bumper.

dp
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boat Builder:

Drill your hole from the side of the frame, and wedge against the side of the nut on an angle against the other side of the frame. Gives more leverage. Pick your side so that when you are loosening the bolt pins up against your lever.

Failing that...

Grab a die grinder/dremel and some little cut off wheels and chew it out.

Don't try to wedge in and try to cut the bolt in half, or the disk will break. (Bad news) take pie shaped chunks out of you can. Or go in at a 90 degree and chew out slots.

You can also use a green (silicone carbide) wheel on one eat it out that way. Probably a wash on time. 15 minutes and the head of the bolt is gone.

If theres a decent air gap between the frame and bumper bracket, you might be able to grab the bolt head with a vice grip and use a metal cutting blade on a jig saw to get at it.

I prefer those methods over drilling (less hot chips falling around the goggles to the eyes... But if you really need to... grab hold with a huge C-clamp on the outside of the bolt head and wedge it in the slot at an angle. Center punch, and spot drill first and shoot some oil up there! You can also take the bumper bracket and wedge a pipe diagonally through it to the ground, and have someone put enough load on it to keep the bolt from spinning. Can also try a wooden wedge driven under it...

Creepers are a dang nice thing compared to sitting in the bilge beating in new frames... What kind of boats do you build?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: