Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing transmission without removing engine?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn both the hubs the same direction to move the input shaft. If you only turn
one hub, the opposite hub will rotate & the input shaft stays in the same place.

You're sure the clutch disk fits the input splines?

You were really lucky the first time!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you able to move the shifter to put it in 4th gear? i know it probably wont work trying to hook up the rod to it when its not fully seated but if you can, try to move it in to 4th gear from the slelector on the tranny and hook up the cv joints, then have someone turn the engine by rotating the crank pulley while you and a friend push it in. thats what worked for me. dont run yourself over, though dammit!
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem was that my throwout bearing was not on correctly and not all the way seated. Luckily i did not force the tranny on very hard as to break it. I installed the bearing and on went the transmission.
Its been running & shifting just fine now(except for my breaks!- next project)
Thanks all for the help!
Kevin
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome. good job getting it fixed up. if you ever drive her up to st augustine way, we'll have to get a fleet going out on highway one. i usually cruise around up here on the weekends and see a lot of other vws out on the road.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captdave wrote:
Pulling the tranny out is not a bad job. Ive done it in my gravel driveway laying on my back three times. its always tough sliding it back on to the splined shaft but enough wiggling and presto its in. If I can do it anybody can.

Laying on your back? Does this mean this person did it manually without any jack at all?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing transmission without removing engine? Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend trying to deadlift an 091/094 trans. You could sorta do that with the old IRS Beetle trans, but not these. I recommend investing in a trans jack or one of those cheap motorcycle platform jacks. It's really hard to balance the trans on the small lifting foot of a regular jack.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing transmission without removing engine? Reply with quote

They are not that heavy. A little awkward to handle. I'm 63 now and would use a helper to hoist one into place. Dropping one, you can do it yourself with the help of gravity.

Installing the transmission, the trick is getting the splines to line up. If I have a helper, I will put the trans in a gear and have someone turning the crank back and forth while I slip the trans into place. That is really the only tricky part. You might be tempted to force it, but don't. When the splines align, it should slide right in. If you don't have a help, with the trans in gear, grab both cv flanges and turn together and that will rotate the input shaft. It does not take much to align them.

That's why I suggested in your thread to test fit the clutch disc on the input shaft splines prior to install. A slight film of grease on the splines is also recommended. Don't install dry.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing transmission without removing engine? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
They are not that heavy. A little awkward to handle. I'm 63 now and would use a helper to hoist one into place. Dropping one, you can do it yourself with the help of gravity.

Installing the transmission, the trick is getting the splines to line up. If I have a helper, I will put the trans in a gear and have someone turning the crank back and forth while I slip the trans into place. That is really the only tricky part. You might be tempted to force it, but don't. When the splines align, it should slide right in. If you don't have a help, with the trans in gear, grab both cv flanges and turn together and that will rotate the input shaft. It does not take much to align them.

That's why I suggested in your thread to test fit the clutch disc on the input shaft splines prior to install. A slight film of grease on the splines is also recommended. Don't install dry.

Aha... this is very good info!
Currently, as I study, one guys says that even when he has a floor jack available - what he does is use 3 or 4 scissor jacks with a thick piece of plywood. I am thinking to try taking 3 scissor jacks, and bolting to them a solid plywood platform for the tranny. This way the whole thing possibly could be lifted and tilted slowly slowly and quite precisely without much effort. And cheap.
Idea Question
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

WATCH THE VIDEO:
http://www.vwvid.com/m/videos/view/Boston-Bob-Flywheel-Video-VW-Vanagons-Picasa-Web-Albums

Nothing left to say...

Too bad this vid is gone....
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing transmission without removing engine? Reply with quote

I have r and r more manual transmissions than I can count on many makes and models. I have never had one slide in straight. There is always some wiggling required along with some tilting to get it into place. I would imagine a floor jack might complicate the install. A vanagon automatic goes in nice with a jack, but there is no input shaft to deal with.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing transmission without removing engine? Reply with quote

I recently R&R'd an auto and found that the angle of the dangle was super finicky. I'm thinking about creating a fine angle adjustment for my trans jack, so this kinda thing doesn't trip me up in the future. On manual Vanagon trans, I just use the trans jack to get it close to position, and then I wrestle to slide it home. I can't imagine having to lift it up 1.5' and then wrestling it into position without a jack. As AvE says, "Work smarter, not harder".

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing transmission without removing engine? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I would imagine a floor jack might complicate the install.

So without a jack, how have you always managed it? Do you lay on your back on put it on your belly then lift? [do some people actually do it that way?]
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing transmission without removing engine? Reply with quote

Exactly. You have some laying around. See if they are too much to handle. Then you can decide. Don't over think it.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing transmission without removing engine? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Exactly. You have some laying around. See if they are too much to handle. Then you can decide. Don't over think it.

Oh yeah, I don't find them so heavy, I have been moving them around all the time... hmmmm.... maybe this might be the simplest way to do it (cheaply)?
...but I'd guess that to avoid a nightmare it would be best to get a helper to turn the crack via a wrench on the crank bolt.

...and once it is in the engine the same helper could come around and thread the bolts thru the nose mount into the frame...
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
dhaavers wrote:

WATCH THE VIDEO:
http://www.vwvid.com/m/videos/view/Boston-Bob-Flywheel-Video-VW-Vanagons-Picasa-Web-Albums

Nothing left to say...

Too bad this vid is gone....

UPDATE! Find the video here: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/10129022810330...2201103922

Cool Cool Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing transmission without removing engine? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

Did you REMOVE the tranny without a jack also??
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing transmission without removing engine? Reply with quote

speaking from old BMW motorcycle experience, i use a moly lube on the input shaft splines so the TO bearing can push the clutch disc back and forth smoothly. makes a huge difference in pedal pressure and prevents rust wear.

i think the absolute best moly formulation was "Guard Dog 525" but is no longer availlable. Honda Moly 60 is a close second. this stuff doesn't fling off, is ultra slippery, and keeps corrosion at bay. put is on thinly with a toothbrush, the best location is on the splines of the clutch disc itself vs the shaft so it doesn't "roll up" in a ring and fling off onto the clutch disc. but i put it thinly on both. with lubed clutch cross-shaft bushings and a lubed input shaft. my pedal pressure was so light i thought it was disconnected. makes for great shifts.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

UPDATE! Find the video here: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/10129022810330...2201103922

Great!!!
...how much of this info is useful for DIESEL engines?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Removing transmission without removing engine? Reply with quote

None. Well maybe not none, the diesel still has a crankshaft seal behind the flywheel but it does not have any of the endplay shim complications that are the main point of the video.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Removing transmission without removing engine? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
None. Well maybe not none, the diesel still has a crankshaft seal behind the flywheel but it does not have any of the endplay shim complications that are the main point of the video.

Thanks... that's good news!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: