Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VDO Kienzle Clock repair
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there any way to adjust the speed of the clock? Mine runs fast.

I have not done this, but I believe that there is a little screw to a potentiometer on the back for clock calibration. But there are so many varieties of clocks out there I couldn't tell you just where to look.

Got a photo or three?

And in other news...

jtauxe wrote:
Now my problem is that the glass on the front of the clock is broken, and the little winder knob is all frozen up and won't spring in and out like it is supposed to. So, I have a running clock, but can't set the time. Razz

I am soaking the winder knob in Kroil in order to free it up. Assuming that works, I need to figure out how to get it through the glass.

The original glass was broken, right through the winder knob hole, so getting the knob out of the glass was no problem. I have a piece of original glass without the hole, and will drill a new one in that. So far so good.

But I still need to mount the winder knob. Maybe it will become obvious once I get the parts off the shaft, but it is not obvious know how this was assembled. Any tips would be welcome.

Update:
Soaking the winder knob in Kroil did the trick, and I was able to disassemble the winder mechanism. The next problem was that since the original winder was swaged after putting it through the glass, I had to come up with another way to hold the winder bits together. Epoxy worked.

I drilled a hole through a spare piece of glass, and got it all put back together.

So, now I have a working... wait a minute... or an hour. This is odd! The second and minute hand work fine, but the hour hand loses about an hour per day, and most of that at the same time of day. Curious,

I opened it back up and inspected the hour gear more closely, only to find that it is cracked. The plastic gear itself has a roughly radial crack, and by the time it gets to the teeth on the edge of the gear, things are so far off that the gear skips a bit.

Well, shoot. After all that, the clock, with the repaired nylon gear shaft, new glass, and repaired winder, still does not work. Rolling Eyes I am bummed.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Clock repair Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
vw_mad wrote:
I have followed all the steps to get my clock working it out of a 69 early bay.
Had to replace the long spring that winds the clock as well.
But now the clock is ticking away it is running a minute or so slow over an hour is there any way of adjusting this??.

Welcome,
As Chabanais mentions adjusting the early clocks is not by any means an exact science, I reset mine a few times each year, CW=slower, CCW=faster and use tiny movements of the small slotted screw behind the paper sticker, a degree seems to yield better than 30 minutes in 24 hours sometimes Shocked Confused

paper sticker
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

paper sticker pulled off, adjustment screw below
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Clock repair Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
paper sticker pulled off, adjustment screw below

Thank you!!

Just for reference also:

60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mizan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Clock repair Reply with quote

Hey guys. I can recommend Novastar Clock Oil for the pivots of this clock. It's cheap online. DO NOT USE WD-40, or anything in a spray can for that matter. Clocks have to be oiled with very special oil, and the Novastar barely does the job properly, but is miles and miles better than anything household.

You wouldn't use cooking oil in your motor, would you? Same idea with clocks, it will run all over the place then gum up and die.

If anybody knows who posted the PDF here on The Samba, its extremely helpful, but instructing to spray with WD-40 should be amended, bad idea.

No offence intended, just a word of warning I'm putting on the posts about the clock. Do right by Kienzle.
Mizan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Clock repair Reply with quote

^I have no affiliation with Novastar. And its "type r" oil.
56dreamer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Clock repair Reply with quote

I like the idea of using conventional solder and simply installing an inline fuse. What amp fuse would work? The last posting I saw about the inline fuse said 250mA was working for 2 hours. Is that the presumed best amperage?
Djorkae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
..and I was able to disassemble the winder mechanism. The next problem was that since the original winder was swaged after putting it through the glass, I had to come up with another way to hold the winder bits together. Epoxy worked.

could you please help me? how the winder mechanism could be disassembled? mine is rusted and the spring under the clock reset knob is broken

it is just pressed onto the shaft or there is screw-thread? :O

dumartins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Clock repair Reply with quote

Good evening, first I would like to congratulate you for the content of the site. I have a Chevette 76 - GM (Opel Kadett C) that uses the same VDO watch unfortunately a burnt RESISTOR could you help me discover the resistance?

thank you so much![/img]
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Clock repair Reply with quote

Interesting reading - my clock stopped working eons ago. I'd like to get it working, but it looks so finicky - I think my phat thumbs would probably mess it up. I'll look for a repair shop first...

As far as that resistor dumartins - if you can clean it up, and figure out the colors - that should tell you the resistor size.

Do a google search for resistor colors - and you should find a chart that will explain it to you better than I ever could.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: