Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need something to support the engine and trans ..... help!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: I need something to support the engine and trans ..... help! Reply with quote

Alright, so first of all I have a 71 super beetle with a 2017cc and will be putting my new KCR SuperStreet Plus transmission as soon as I receive it.
I just installed my new A1 Sidewinder exhaust and it was not compatible with my Lowbugget traction bar so I took the traction bar off.
I was planning on getting the Aircooled.net torque bar but they are out of stock right now. Which might be a good thing because as I was under the car today I realized that the top bar that connects the shock towers will not fit since I installed my 72 plate oil cooler with fan right there above the trans ......
So what are my options now ?
I already have new HD front and rear mounts, and thinking about getting the ACN Intermediate Transmission Mount (I also read the Mohr one was good but can't find any info on it ?)
Any help is appreciated Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SeVVenth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat with the traction bar. What I am doing is fabricating my own Truss Bar; after that is done, I plan on making two mounts for each side of the cooler that will tilt the rearmost part of the cooler towards the ground.

I don't know what tools you have, but I suggest just making brackets to tilt it so that it fits. I imagine that this is going to be a tight fit with everything else, but I don't know what else to do. IRS diagonals make oil coolers and truss bars a bitch. Hopefully someone else has a better method.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I need something to support the engine and trans ..... h Reply with quote

71sbeetle wrote:
So what are my options now ?

Why not just make your own traction bar? It's super simple, just get some square stock, and fab up hangers so it mounts where you want it to. If you need welding, mark the parts, and make a trip to the welder. Don't have tools? Borrow them! Very Happy If you already have HD mounts, I wouldn't bother with the mid mount. Just make yourself a traction bar that fits (and works), you should be good to go.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SeVVenth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it nearly impossible to use a traction bar with a sidewinder exhaust? Can anyone verify that? I would like to know.
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is, I'll try to get some pics later
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: