Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay window safety/crash test/ info/ links to threads FAQ
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Bay window safety/crash test/ info/ links to threads FAQ Reply with quote

Here are few of the threads out there... PM me with others and I will add them if you know of any other good ones that have different information in them. Most aspects have been discussed in these threads though.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103567

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213187

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54606

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213187[/b]
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glen thompson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Crash test Reply with quote

last Nov. 7 ,07 Dude ran the stop sign ,I was in my 76 Westley, spun him 360 hit at @ 45mph he was totaled I drove home .Body man said man are these buses built !!!!!! Razz Razz Razz Razz
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spun a few 360s going 60mph in freezing rain in a Bus. Ended up in a ditch. Tow truck winched me out, I proceeded to drive 15,000 miles across the country no problem.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
I spun a few 360s going 60mph in freezing rain in a Bus. Ended up in a ditch. Tow truck winched me out, I proceeded to drive 15,000 miles across the country no problem.

That's a mighty big country. Shocked
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK; we did dip down into the Baja half way... but other than that, yep. We took all the back roads and scenic detours.
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a pic of a 76 bus that is in the neighborhood of my work. The owner said that her Oldsmobile (older boat style) got loose and rolled into the bus while Olds had it's transmission out for service. I just think that it's interesting that where the Olds hit the bus was OVER the bumper. The bus was lowered.

Whether you are a novice or know your way around an ACVW, a day with Amskeptic is money well spent. My mechanical ability/knowledge/bus is always better after Colin visits.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/memberlist.php
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The (woman) owner of an Olds also has a lowered bus? Sounds odd, is she 90?

That is why you don't lower a bus, totally screws the bumper height (among other things) just to look cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bay vs catapillar..... bad dont fight one!

'72 Ghia: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146/vwdmc17/100_1964.jpg
'72 Honda Z600
'81 Delorean

www.EVILGENIUSRACING.com
thegoodfight7211
Samba Street Punk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BellePlaine, the headlights make your Bus looks sad! hahaha Sad

I'd say that the orange one getting owned by the bulldozer is a little bit sadder though...that is a terrible image! I feel like crying now.
kaiser wrote:

i figured you guys would appreciate the frugality of the homemade soap.

I like the idea but they'd go totally ape shiat over this in the Bay Window forum!

Bay window owners? Soap?
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thegoodfight7211 wrote:
BellePlaine, the headlights make your Bus looks sad! hahaha Sad

I'd say that the orange one getting owned by the bulldozer is a little bit sadder though...that is a terrible image! I feel like crying now.

No no; not MY bus, it's just one that is down the road from where I work. You're right though, they do make the bus look sad. I've always meant to post a picture of the Olds that hit this thing. It's painted in rainbows and definitely not a old lady's Olds.

Whether you are a novice or know your way around an ACVW, a day with Amskeptic is money well spent. My mechanical ability/knowledge/bus is always better after Colin visits.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/memberlist.php
seabass0527
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
yoda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These posts are seriously scary. I watched the one on bus fires. I never carried an extinguisher all the years I drove a bus. It never crossed my mind. Now reading all those threads on front end collisions scares me. I was in a sandstorm once driving through the Navajo reservation. The sound of the sand hitting the front of the bus made a tinkling sound that reminded me just how little was between me and anything I hit. Just a thin layer of sheet metal.

I'm going to talk with my buddy down the street. He builds roll cages for amateur racing. I'm gonna see what it would cost to get something basic made and how to attach it. Here's the site for the place he works:

http://www.rollcageguy.com/

I'll update as soon as I hear something.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A potter in town with an old rusty van has a good observation about driving rusty vans around... when people see them they stay back, keep their distance, and keep an eye on that rusty van cause they figure at anytime it's gonna break down or loose control.

I think there's a lot of logic to that. My first three Buses were rust buckets (good ol' midwest) and now that I have a nice one I sometimes wonder if I was safer in a rusty one...

Oh well! Very Happy Cool
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
My first three Buses were rust buckets (good ol' midwest) and now that I have a nice one I sometimes wonder if I was safer in a rusty one...
Oh well! Very Happy Cool

When I get a better connection speed, I will post pictures of why you want rust-free metal helping to slow the intrusion of the other car.
Colin

TexasAirCooler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
ccpalmer wrote:
My first three Buses were rust buckets (good ol' midwest) and now that I have a nice one I sometimes wonder if I was safer in a rusty one...
Oh well! Very Happy Cool

When I get a better connection speed, I will post pictures of why you want rust-free metal helping to slow the intrusion of the other car.
Colin

Yea, after seeing pics of Colin's bay after it's frontal crash I have more respect for my '73 and it's rust free front end. Wink

Common Sense Is A Flower That Doesn't Grow In Everyone's Garden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys didn't get the point - maybe that accident wouldn't have happened if the other car had been looking out for you... Just maybe of course. Plus, I doubt that the body shell metal did much to slow that accident - I think the frame rails did that for you.

I made for the lack of rust on my Bus with my almost school-bus yellow paint job (Ceylon Beige) which gives me plenty of visibility. I really think that does help my safety factor. By now human eyes are trained to be very aware of yellow vehicles.
TexasAirCooler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotha now, the old "I'm poor" look.

Colin's bus was hit by a kid passing a car coming over a blind hill.

Common Sense Is A Flower That Doesn't Grow In Everyone's Garden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
You guys didn't get the point - maybe that accident wouldn't have happened if the other car had been looking out for you... Just maybe of course. Plus, I doubt that the body shell metal did much to slow that accident - I think the frame rails did that for you.

I made for the lack of rust on my Bus with my almost school-bus yellow paint job (Ceylon Beige) which gives me plenty of visibility. I really think that does help my safety factor. By now human eyes are trained to be very aware of yellow vehicles.

Tell you what. Maybe my "accident" would not have happened if she had not been born. There was absolutely not a chance for that numbskull to "look out for me" seeing as she passed on the crest of a hill and had one miserable second to figure out what to do, she decided to feignt to her left then changed her mind. I could have been a flourescent day-glo purple Barney Dinosaurmobile, no difference.

Everybody has their hopeful rationalizations that they won't be squashed flat as a pancake. I used to have mine. I thought I could be the hyper-alert driver who would make tbe instaneously perfect decision after well over a million miles of driving, guess what? there is a thick dumb WTF instant of disbelief.

The '73 and later buses have a critical upgrade in the collision box that ties all the frame rails together. Critical for buying the few inches that allowed me to keep walking and talking. The surprising thing was looking at how the passenger door was pulled forward by the frame rails pivotting around. I am definitely on the side of good metal. And yes, I was *all over the brakes* which would have dropped the frame rails and collision box under any SUV and killed me, but I was lucky, the frozen deer girl drove a Mitsubishi Eclipse.
(*I used to think I would be sure to get off the brakes to make sure the front end would not dip below the point of impact. Ha. Oh well. I can talk as idiotically as the next person from the easy comfort of a keyboard, but when you see a car hurtling at you with a combined closing speed of 110 mph, you just are not as quick or smart as you wish you were*)
YMMV,
Colin
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the color of your Bus made no difference in that occasion Colin - I certainly didn't mean to imply that. I was just trying to point out some other factors in vehicle safety, visibility being one of them.

I remember driving a white Bus through a snowstorm in Wyoming at night. At a rest stop a truck driver said "You're crazy to be driving a white vehicle through this shit". Made a lot of sense to me at the time.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
Obviously the color of your Bus made no difference in that occasion Colin - I certainly didn't mean to imply that. I was just trying to point out some other factors in vehicle safety, visibility being one of them.

I remember driving a white Bus through a snowstorm in Wyoming at night. At a rest stop a truck driver said "You're crazy to be driving a white vehicle through this shit". Made a lot of sense to me at the time.

This is true. A gunmetal grey Buick in a misty early morning fog without any parking lamps or headlamps is a candidate for not being seen.

Meanwhile, I just read of a woman killed when she pulled out from a side road and got creamed by a semi. Please. How do you not see a semi? I honestly think that distraction is taking us out. TVs vomit blather and short-take video, iPod wearing headphone junkies, gas stations that pump out lousy advertising jangles, and trash trucks and public buses and construction vehicles have those reversing beepers that we are all becoming deaf and senseless to, and we are desensitizing to our environment. I know very few people who exercise their self-preservation animal instincts, particularly while driving.
Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: