Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay window safety/crash test/ info/ links to threads FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
ccpalmer wrote:
Obviously the color of your Bus made no difference in that occasion Colin - I certainly didn't mean to imply that. I was just trying to point out some other factors in vehicle safety, visibility being one of them.

I remember driving a white Bus through a snowstorm in Wyoming at night. At a rest stop a truck driver said "You're crazy to be driving a white vehicle through this shit". Made a lot of sense to me at the time.

This is true. A gunmetal grey Buick in a misty early morning fog without any parking lamps or headlamps is a candidate for not being seen.

Meanwhile, I just read of a woman killed when she pulled out from a side road and got creamed by a semi. Please. How do you not see a semi? I honestly think that distraction is taking us out. TVs vomit blather and short-take video, iPod wearing headphone junkies, gas stations that pump out lousy advertising jangles, and trash trucks and public buses and construction vehicles have those reversing beepers that we are all becoming deaf and senseless to, and we are desensitizing to our environment. I know very few people who exercise their self-preservation animal instincts, particularly while driving.
Colin

I have thought of welding in vertical braces between the heavier metal of the energy absorption area and the fresh air ducting to lessen the chance of an SUV crashing through the metal above the bumper. I figure that this might well save my legs. Probably wouldn't have to weigh much to make a difference maybe 20 pounds or so. It would be hidden behind the kick panels.
IFBwax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know wildthings... sometimes what you try to improve is your undoing. It is with me anyway.

www.partypickle.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porschevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is how I bought mine. PO said he was looking back, merging in traffic when the truck in front suddenly stopped. He walked away fine though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard a story of a guy how totaled his bus and it paralyed him, it was a front end crash.

....OWW?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Subaquaticbombshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
ccpalmer wrote:
Obviously the color of your Bus made no difference in that occasion Colin - I certainly didn't mean to imply that. I was just trying to point out some other factors in vehicle safety, visibility being one of them.

I remember driving a white Bus through a snowstorm in Wyoming at night. At a rest stop a truck driver said "You're crazy to be driving a white vehicle through this shit". Made a lot of sense to me at the time.

This is true. A gunmetal grey Buick in a misty early morning fog without any parking lamps or headlamps is a candidate for not being seen.

Meanwhile, I just read of a woman killed when she pulled out from a side road and got creamed by a semi. Please. How do you not see a semi? I honestly think that distraction is taking us out. TVs vomit blather and short-take video, iPod wearing headphone junkies, gas stations that pump out lousy advertising jangles, and trash trucks and public buses and construction vehicles have those reversing beepers that we are all becoming deaf and senseless to, and we are desensitizing to our environment. I know very few people who exercise their self-preservation animal instincts, particularly while driving.
Colin

Yes! Everyone is on their cellphone. It drives me nuts. I had a man in a huge truck play chicken with me on a residential street because he was texting and not looking up at all. I have a nice bright yellow bus, you should notice me on an empty residential street. I had to lay on my horn, I was pretty impressed at his stupidity. Although I like to think that when people aren't texting, ipoding, and generally being completely distracted that they see me and it helps to deter collisions. Very Happy
DanFromCt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not a bay but Im really thinking about ejection seat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpU5azjCB8
420francis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanFromCt wrote:
Well not a bay but Im really thinking about ejection seat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpU5azjCB8

Comment Read on Youtube : "" It is a old, rusty VW T3. Speed was 80 km/h with 1 ton of weight in the back. Test was made at the ADAC, at the opening of the new testing facility in 1999 in Landsberg, Germany. They wanted to demonstrate the capability of the facility. I know that, because I worked there. ''''

Link -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uykStESm3vw&feature=related

Now look at a REAL test drive video and go buy a Bus ! Wink
-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwa9vdq8dvw&NR=1

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

420francis wrote:
Comment Read on Youtube : "" It is a old, rusty VW T3. Speed was 80 km/h with 1 ton of weight in the back. Test was made at the ADAC, at the opening of the new testing facility in 1999 in Landsberg, Germany. They wanted to demonstrate the capability of the facility. I know that, because I worked there.

If you look at the first few frames of the crash video you will see that the front of the van has already been damaged. I would also guess that whatever they had in the back weighed significantly more than a ton. There must be more information out there on this crash test somewhere.

I think that one of the real advantages that Bays and Vanagons have in a frontal crash is that they can do well in both a 50/50 crash, a full head on, and all kinds of glancing blows. Not having an engine up front or a hood and having the driver set well back of the dash and windshield are just major pluses that far outweigh any negatives of the cab forward design.
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have zero info, but heres one more example of a roll

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusername wrote:
i have zero info, but heres one more example of a roll

Nice shot, interesting to see how VW ran the coolant lines. Why would they run them up one side of the frame and then cross them over to the other side verses just designing the radiator with the inlet and outlet on the side they needed it to be. For that matter, with the L4 engine lay out don't the lines start on the right side? Did VW then cross them over the left side only to cross them back over to the right side?
dvergillo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it have something to do with the steering? LHD vs. RHD?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bay vs dump truck thread.

glad everyone was safe.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244498

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohio to Cali trip cut short from the rear.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451029

Sad is they knew they were slow and took precautions but you can't dodge stupid.

tat2ace wrote:
Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:49 am
Got to Shamrock TX today. No troubles. Great updates on the weather and the hotspots, Thanks VERY much, all of you. Had hot heads all day, though, 410-425 deg all day.
OK, my desert dwelling brothers and sisters, what is the HOTTEST head temp I can run at without melting?
I believe my DD CHT gauge to be accurate, so accurate #'s only, please. What does YOUR gauge say?
I bought a yellow magnetic strobe light for on the roof @ a truckstop, AWESOME! If people would be looking out of the windshield, this measure wouldn't be necessary, but as it stands, well, you know.
I'm moving for good, this is NOT a vacation. With family back home, I may make this drive much more often than the average Joe.
If I get to Cali without mechanical failure, I will have a new, solid, earned respect for my bus. It's already happening.

then

tat2ace wrote:
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:37 pm
Bad news, yesterday @ about 6pm after passing thruogh Tucumcari, NM, our beautiful, trophy winning, 64,000 mile bus was totaled.
We were rear ended by a semi. We are going to be OK. The dogs are going to be OK. Life is still good, just not AS good.
We were going 55 MPH, in the slow lane, with a yellow flashing becon on the roof. About 20 seconds go by between the times that I glance in my mirrors. In that time, we went from being the only vehicle in sight, to getting run over. He could NOT have been looking out the windshield, or gong the 75 MPH speed limit, he would have seen us.
We will be OK. Rest in peace, my lovely traveling vessel, you have provided me with great memories that shall live longer than I do. You will be missed.
This story will not end here, we will get a U-Haul tommorrow, and continue on. I have retained an attorney.
We will be OK.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should have the link to Colin's accident thread in here.
Ahh ha here it is: Road Warrior meets it's end
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=373183

Amskeptic wrote:
ccpalmer wrote:
My first three Buses were rust buckets (good ol' midwest) and now that I have a nice one I sometimes wonder if I was safer in a rusty one...
Oh well! Very Happy Cool

When I get a better connection speed, I will post pictures of why you want rust-free metal helping to slow the intrusion of the other car.
Colin

Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been riding motorcycles for 40 plus years with no wrecks yet, knock on wood. I ride like everyone is trying to kill me. Harleyriders say loud pipes save lives. B.s! Drivers can't hear you with their cell on the ear, yelling at the kids in the backseat. My Harley has loud pipes and cars still pull out in front of me.
Back to the vee dubs: I was driving my 73 bay in 80 and passed a wreck where a guy in a bay got hit by a big boat of a car in the front. He was pinned between his seat and the front of his bus. Firemen were using the jaws of life to cut him out. As I drove by he was screaming in pain. Never forgot that one.
I guess I'll drive my new 78 vw riv like everyone wants to kill me also.
AlohaAhola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught a love tap from a fire engine last week, absolutely no damage, a little red paint on my back bumper but other than that its all good, I'm going to leave the red on cause I like the character. Don't worry I was on the guys ass in front of me but somehow he thought to just stay there... Any other car with one of those silly plastic bumpers would have had some serious damage
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have to add this story to here.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633989
TonySutton wrote:
Thanks for all the advice, you guys are awesome! I only ran it for a couple minutes before I got scared and shut it down. Thankfully it was just me and my dog in the vehicle and all is well. Here's a couple pics before and after.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: 1970 Safety Reply with quote

1970 "VW Program" Booklet

Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: