Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Stand
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iron giant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Just built a 1.8 for my bus which will be fitted to an 003 auto. I'd like to test it outside of the bus and figure it will be easier to find a manual bellhousing (002), flywheel and gland nut to build a test stand than an 003 to cut up. Does anyone have any stands built for and auto or do most of you test it with manual trans parts?

Thanks.
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Let me correct that for you unless you can think of another reason for the flash fires.

Glenn wrote:
Pretty sure the tranny case is aluminum and magnesium.

They are magnesium...my brother had a flash fire grinding out a 6v bellhousing for a 12v flywheel.... Shocked

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

I needed something that can simply Lift a engine onto a Dyno, but also be a engine stand, and handy to be able to lift the engine up to normal stand height. Of course simply loosening the t-handle enables removing the engine mount and then it can be used as a lift to lift a engine up to a Dyno or whatever.

Started out with Harbor Freight "ATV Stand" which was on sale for $80
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And started out with Cheap Empi Bench stand that cost $40

The Empi Mount is scary light duty, so I welded in some bracing, and reinforced their welds:

I modified the ATV stand by Boxing in a area and welded in the Empi mount upside down(so that t-handle wont interfere when using flat area as engine lift to dyno)

I then cut the wheels off the back(pointless) and added wheels to the bottom so its able to roll and raises it up just enough to now reach standard stand height. Then I added 7 inches to the front length and 7 inches to the front width so that its stable with the engine on the front. (As before the engine could tilt forward pretty easy)

And shown in the upright stand position:

Just a idea for others, as $120 for a stand that lifts and a few hours of work I think is do-able for many.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Old school! Cool

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
I needed something that can simply Lift a engine onto a Dyno, but also be a engine stand, and handy to be able to lift the engine up to normal stand height. Of course simply loosening the t-handle enables removing the engine mount and then it can be used as a lift to lift a engine up to a Dyno or whatever.

And started out with Cheap Empi Bench stand that cost $40

The Empi Mount is scary light duty, so I welded in some bracing, and reinforced their welds:

I modified the ATV stand by Boxing in a area and welded in the Empi mount upside down(so that t-handle wont interfere when using flat area as engine lift to dyno)

I then cut the wheels off the back(pointless) and added wheels to the bottom so its able to roll and raises it up just enough to now reach standard stand height. Then I added 7 inches to the front length and 7 inches to the front width so that its stable with the engine on the front. (As before the engine could tilt forward pretty easy)

And shown in the upright stand position:

Just a idea for others, as $120 for a stand that lifts and a few hours of work I think is do-able for many.

But did you have it finished to match the living room decor?
Laughing
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Esde, yes the ATV Jack comes in grey, definately doesnt match anything so I painted it satin black "bed liner".

Pyroman: Thats a heavy duty Run stand in your picture, that should do the job well. I like that old school Distributor in that engine!
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.

Last edited by jpaull on Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Really like the ATV thing, but is it nose heavy? Wondering how stable that is with the weight out in front of everything.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Casting Timmy wrote:
Really like the ATV thing, but is it nose heavy? Wondering how stable that is with the weight out in front of everything.

Before it was not really safe. I had to add 7 inches to the front to take care of that. The nice thing about having alittle steel and a welder, you can make it suit your style quickly.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:

I have that HF lawn tractor jack too, works GREAT for my lawn tractor. A real value.

For the few times I need it, I just mount my old mid-1970s VW engine stand to my workbench.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

i had posted this, but then moved it here,,, thanks , you guys got some great ideas

I am tied of my old 3 legged engine stand, i almost had an engine fall over once = NOT COOL, so I just got the EMPI heavy duty engine stand, and I really like it, 4 legs, much more stable. I have made some changes, I added a bigger lock down bolt with a 3/" handle welded on top, I also drilled holes in the engine mount so it can be locked in either the sideways or upright position, as I almost never use anything else, also I am going to mount a old cookie sheet with lip on the back to hold stuff, it will be strong enough base to hold a crank or heads, so, what other modifications have you made to improve your engine stand? show us! thanks

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectre6000 wrote:
Alright Earthquake! Eat your heart out! Wink

Phase 1 complete. The photos were taken while it was still bitchin' hot from welding. I'm not done, there are some additions still in the engineering phase, but here we are thus far:

The goal, an atelier for VW/Porsche engine building. Must also fold up to fit in my garage with everything else. Must also have a lift so that I don't have to pick up 200+ pound fully loaded engines and don't need to buy beer or upset my wife every time I do AND must work with a standard issue floor jack (no center leg).

Standard formation in use, lift down:

Also has all locking swivel casters so I can move it wherever I need it and not have to chase it down once I get it there. Mount is a VW Alley stand Porsche style.

You've got 40-some-odd pics in your gallery, but none of 'em are of this engine stand. What gives?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

The harbor freight ones work wonderfully. I bough the 1000lb one along with a yoke. I even started mine on the stand. It shook a little but I never had any problems. Just tie your hands behind your back so that you don't try to grab it when/if it falls.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VintageWorldTools
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand VW Alley on vacation Reply with quote

We are on vacation until 10/27 (Iceland!) So no orders will be shipped until after we get back. We will stay in contact if anyone has questions about shipping charges or just general questions about our products. Thanks, Kevin & Christine @ VW Alley/ Vintage World Tools.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
i had posted this, but then moved it here,,, thanks , you guys got some great ideas

I am tied of my old 3 legged engine stand, i almost had an engine fall over once = NOT COOL, so I just got the EMPI heavy duty engine stand, and I really like it, 4 legs, much more stable. I have made some changes, I added a bigger lock down bolt with a 3/" handle welded on top, I also drilled holes in the engine mount so it can be locked in either the sideways or upright position, as I almost never use anything else, also I am going to mount a old cookie sheet with lip on the back to hold stuff, it will be strong enough base to hold a crank or heads, so, what other modifications have you made to improve your engine stand? show us! thanks

I put a receiver (1 inch square id) on upright so a tray like in your pic can be used, I also made "start" panel that replaces parts pan when it comes time to start engine...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
ratherb-buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Here's my Matra 313 Engine Stand on a custom base. I also have the swing axle arms and had a friend make a custom beam holder. I use all three quite often.

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

i dig that front beam mount, very nice, great job man
ratherb-buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
i dig that front beam mount, very nice, great job man

Thank you! The friend who I commissioned to make the beam mount and engine stand base did an amazing job! The beam mount used the old v8 engine stand time head, then he made adjustable arms to hold the beam.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Here's the setup I pieced together for my build.

I bought a 500 lb. capacity hydraulic table cart from Harbor Freight ...

... a 1250 lb. engine stand from Summit Racing ...

... and a four arm engine stand yoke from here on TheSamba.

They fit together nicely and allow the engine to be removed and mounted to the stand easily.

I drilled holes in the engine stand yoke 90º apart so I can rotate the engine on the stand and lock it into position with a pin.

Although there was a bit of expense involved, It’s all worth it to me. The engine came out smoothly and safely, the exchange to the engine stand went just as planned, and it's now stored safely out of the way.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Here's the setup I pieced together for my build.

I bought a 500 lb. capacity hydraulic table cart from Harbor Freight ...

... a 1250 lb. engine stand from Summit Racing ...

... and a four arm engine stand yoke from here on TheSamba.

They fit together nicely and allow the engine to be removed and mounted to the stand easily.

I drilled holes in the engine stand yoke 90º apart so I can rotate the engine on the stand and lock it into position with a pin.

Although there was a bit of expense involved, It’s all worth it to me. The engine came out smoothly and safely, the exchange to the engine stand went just as planned, and it's now stored safely out of the way.

Awesome combination of parts/assembly, don't know why
people struggle with cheapo stand that you can not get some sort of lift into to get engine up to working height...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Awesome combination or parts/assembly, don't know why
people struggle with cheapo stand that you can not get some sort of lift into to get engine up to working height...

Dale

I think it's because people don't even think about it beforehand. Luckily, I stumbled across this thread before I bought anything. Your stand actually made me realize I needed an open center stand to get a lift in there.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 32

Jump to: