Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Stand
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Dale M. wrote:
Awesome combination or parts/assembly, don't know why
people struggle with cheapo stand that you can not get some sort of lift into to get engine up to working height...

Dale

I think it's because people don't even think about it beforehand. Luckily, I stumbled across this thread before I bought anything. Your stand actually made me realize I needed an open center stand to get a lift in there.

And I wish I had the foresight to get a lift that went higher than the one I have.... But again I was just dealing with putting in or taking out a engine in a FG buggy.... Later when I built actual engine stand when had a issue with rod/crank bearing I realized a lift that went taller would be better....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

You can always buy a hoist and put it in the rafters and hoist the engine. Just make sure the rafters can hold the weight.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
You can always buy a hoist and put it in the rafters and hoist the engine. Just make sure the rafters can hold the weight.

Go back 3 or 4 or 5 pagers...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
You can always buy a hoist and put it in the rafters and hoist the engine.

Or ask a friend for a hand... unless you don't have any.

I build engines in my basement since that's where my tool box is and my primary workbench. I just have my son, neighbor or friend help carry it up the stairs and out to the garage for final assembly.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

I've got the hoist. It's been great.

I first tried doing it with my wife but she's about half my size. So, I got the hoist. I do need to reinforce it.

No need to call a friend. I can do it right then and there.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

I have a type IV and this combo looks good. Any reason for the four arm yoke and not the three arm?

With the hydraulic cart, were you able to use that to remove/install your engine as well?

Dale M. wrote:
Dark Earth wrote:
Here's the setup I pieced together for my build.

I bought a 500 lb. capacity hydraulic table cart from Harbor Freight ...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... a 1250 lb. engine stand from Summit Racing ...

... and a four arm engine stand yoke from here on TheSamba.

They fit together nicely and allow the engine to be removed and mounted to the stand easily.

I drilled holes in the engine stand yoke 90º apart so I can rotate the engine on the stand and lock it into position with a pin.

Although there was a bit of expense involved, It’s all worth it to me. The engine came out smoothly and safely, the exchange to the engine stand went just as planned, and it's now stored safely out of the way.

Awesome combination of parts/assembly, don't know why
people struggle with cheapo stand that you can not get some sort of lift into to get engine up to working height...

Dale

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Here’s an original engine stand that came from a dealership in Oklahoma. When VW abandoned the air cold platform they also disposed of all the tooling and this was acquired by an independent VW shop where it saw heavy use all through the 80s. When the shop owner Nate retired around 1990 he sold all the tooling and I got it. I used all through the 90s and into the 2000s but put it away around 10 years ago. Cleaning out the shed I pulled it out and snapped a pic. It was a bench mount and later a floor mount. I welded the legs on it and was going to install casters but as you can see that never happened. It’s hard to beat original tooling Very Happy

bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
... a four arm engine stand yoke from here on TheSamba.

I'm planning to build a stand here in India. Importing one from back in the US is cost prohibitive. I'd like to get measurements for a 3-arm or 4-arm yoke similar to this one so I can have a local shop fab me one. Are these measurements available anywhere online?

Thanks!!
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
tatraplan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: VW Alley Engine Yoke Reply with quote

Just finished installing my newly purchased VW Alley (VintageWorldTools) 3 arm engine stand yoke to a 1,000 lb. Harbor Freight engine stand. I'm impressed with the sturdy and neat construction of this tool. The yoke looks like it could support a couple of thousand pounds on its own.

It took me about two hours to layout, drill and deburr eight 1/2" holes for the locking pin and four 5/8" holes for a rod to rotate the engine. I could've got by with less, but wanted to be able to position things right where I want them. You'll need a corded drill as the steel is approx. 3/16" thick.

I'm an old guy of 72. Wish I'd bought this about 50 years ago when I first started fooling around with VWs. Whatever your age, get this thing, it's impressive!
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Yeah, those 3 arm & 4 arm yokes look NICE. I think after the holidays I'm going to order one for VW engines and one for Subaru engines.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
dvogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Any advice or best practices for mounting the engine to the yoke? I have recently purchased the 4-arm yoke from the classifieds here.

Presumably one of the 2.5-inch studs protruding from the engine case goes through one of the holes in the yoke and I put a nut on it. Then I need to find a bolt to put through the matching holes in the case and yoke so I end up with two bolts holding the weight of the entire engine.

I see there is a securing nut adapter set at Pelican Parts. Not sure how necessary this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Just use spacers, (several large nuts or cut length of pipe) and use standard engine mounting hardware (bolts and nuts)....

Just be sure you have proper thread engagement on mount hardware and things are tight...

Dale

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

A pipe fitting and thick washers from a local hardware store are good for the studs.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

This was very easy. The hoist definitely helps though I understand most people don't have the luxury.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

xxx
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263

Last edited by Bruce Amacker on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Ok, this is going to look and sound really hillbilly and crude, cut me some slack.

Here's how I bolt engines to my stand as I got tired of the washers and nuts thing. Most of what I work on is dual relief with a captive nut in the case, so the inset picture is what I use for the top bolt, it's an old socket welded to a 10x70(?) bolt, it saves time. On the bottom the tube is already tacked to the adapter, it might be a 1/4" NPT union. I welded an old socket to a 10mm nut to make things faster.

I made this harness many years ago and need to update it to look nicer, but it works great. The angle iron is 14" long and has the chain welded to it. The balance point I use most is about 5" from the end. There's a couple of hooks depending on whether the engine has a flywheel or muffler on it. The hooks are old U-joint U-bolts from a pickup truck, any bent steel would work.

In the front there's a hook which connects to the crank pulley.

In the back there's a loop which I connect to the tab on the case. It seems like all T1 engines have the tab, or I've never worked on one that didn't. Maybe old 36/40?

Yea, it's backwoods and I need to update it, but it works great. I have an I-beam in my shop so I use a HF 110v winch which rolls on it. It saves my back and makes it easy to put engines on the stand, from whatever way you pull them. As for pulling, I have a lift so I just roll a heavy cart under it and lower the lift so the engine slides out. I rarely work on the floor anymore. My Rav4 has a side hinge back door so I can load engines in and out of it really easy with the winch if I don't want to use my truck or trailers.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:

I bought a 500 lb. capacity hydraulic table cart from Harbor Freight ...

... a 1250 lb. engine stand from Summit Racing ...

... and a four arm engine stand yoke from here on TheSamba.

They fit together nicely and allow the engine to be removed and mounted to the stand easily.

I drilled holes in the engine stand yoke 90º apart so I can rotate the engine on the stand and lock it into position with a pin

Although there was a bit of expense involved, It’s all worth it to me. The engine came out smoothly and safely, the exchange to the engine stand went just as planned, and it's now stored safely out of the way.

Man!!! Thank you!!!!!

Wished I had seen that stand!!! I have the same lift table (one of the best things that I have done next to a Max Jax two-post lift)... but I have the HF stand... arghhh.... That setup is great... I will be replacing my stand for one like that. I just went through so much trouble getting the engine off the stand and back on the lift table.... how stupid of me....

1961 VW Beetle - Ownership Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711372
Fman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Maybe someone can answer this questions for me, I am getting ready to purchase a VW engine stand. I have located a really nice heavy duty 4 wheel stand with the "standard 4 prong V8 adaptor on it" that all the engine stands use. Can you attach a VW engine to this style mount or do you need the VW adaptor to make it work?

EDIT: my next question would be will the VW adaptor bracket more than likely work with this stand?

Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Fman wrote:

EDIT: my next question would be will the VW adaptor bracket more than likely work with this stand?

Quick note- make sure the diameter of the tube is the same on both, my VW engine adapter had a slightly smaller diameter which made me fabricate some sleeves so it fit properly in the engine stand "head". Also, most engine stands are very short, the manufacturers build them for people 5 foot tall. I'm 6'5" so several times I've had to cut and extend the vertical section of the stand. My back can't handle working bent over.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

If you use the supplied generic mount, you could break off the mounting flange on the case. After all it's magnesium and the generic mount provides little support.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 32

Jump to: