Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Stand
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
Fman wrote:

EDIT: my next question would be will the VW adaptor bracket more than likely work with this stand?

Quick note- make sure the diameter of the tube is the same on both, my VW engine adapter had a slightly smaller diameter which made me fabricate some sleeves so it fit properly in the engine stand "head". Also, most engine stands are very short, the manufacturers build them for people 5 foot tall. I'm 6'5" so several times I've had to cut and extend the vertical section of the stand. My back can't handle working bent over.

That is the problem, I can't find ANY specs on the diameter of the hole for the adaptor with this engine stand. Still trying to get in contact with manufacturer to see if they can help me out. The VW stands IMO are all meh at best, especially the three wheel versions, would never think about using a three wheel stand.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

I've used a 3-wheeled engine stand for 35 years, rolled it around the garage and driveway WITH an engine on it, over bumps and gaps, and have never, ever had even a near-miss with a tipping incident. There's nothing at all wrong with 3-wheeled stands (unless you're hooking a tow-rope up to it and racing down the street).

On the other hand, what I don't like about 4-wheeled units is that I'd invariably end up standing on-or-around the leg, because it's just right there in the most inconvenient place...right where most of us stand, when we're working on engines. As far as a lift table between the legs, meh, I use a cherry-picker to install and remove engines from my stands, so it straddles them perfectly (which would never work with a 4-leg unit).

Just my ten cents Wink

By the way, I believe the standard spec is 2-3/8" on the headstock diameter...it's considered the most common.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
I've used a 3-wheeled engine stand for 35 years, rolled it around the garage and driveway WITH an engine on it, over bumps and gaps, and have never, ever had even a near-miss with a tipping incident. There's nothing at all wrong with 3-wheeled stands (unless you're hooking a tow-rope up to it and racing down the street).

On the other hand, what I don't like about 4-wheeled units is that I'd invariably end up standing on-or-around the leg, because it's just right there in the most inconvenient place...right where most of us stand, when we're working on engines.

^^^^^
What he said.

Never a problem with a 3 wheel stand.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Busstom wrote:

On the other hand, what I don't like about 4-wheeled units is that I'd invariably end up standing on-or-around the leg, because it's just right there in the most inconvenient place...right where most of us stand, when we're working on engines.

^^^^^
What he said.

Never a problem with a 3 wheel stand.

I was also planning on using the stand for the new transmission coming to swap out the swing axles. What engine stand would you recommend? Is the EMPI stand Jbugs sells a good buy?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

I had a empi yoke years ago.... It soft and will bend. I would not leave and engine on it without expecting it to be on the floor when i return.

A swingaxle tranny is much longer. I'd get a 4 leg stand with a 3 arm yoke.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Don't buy this yoke unless you want to modify it to make it fit.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/engi...U&ar=1

The holes in the tabs are OK, but the shape of the tab is wrong. You have to grind it back to fit the raised area on the back of the engine that locates in the bellhousing. Doesn't anything work out of the box anymore??? Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:

The holes in the tabs are OK, but the shape of the tab is wrong. You have to grind it back to fit the raised area on the back of the engine that locates in the bellhousing. Doesn't anything work out of the box anymore??? Tom

I era of cheap, disposable Chinese junk, you actually expect something to work!

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

I bought this yoke a few years back:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=606310

I don't ever worry about it bending.
Hanging a 4k engine on a 40 dollar yoke make from recycled soda cans doesn't seem like a good idea. Pony up a few more bucks and get something that you will never worry about.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Tom_Kathleen wrote:

I era of cheap, disposable Chinese junk, you actually expect something to work!

Dale

Buy Made in the USA.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=VintageWorldTools

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Edit: my VWT yoke spindle measures 2.370, so you would seek an engine stand with a 2-3/8" headstock/tube.

Fman wrote:
Maybe someone can answer this questions for me, I am getting ready to purchase a VW engine stand. I have located a really nice heavy duty 4 wheel stand with the "standard 4 prong V8 adaptor on it" that all the engine stands use. Can you attach a VW engine to this style mount or do you need the VW adaptor to make it work?

EDIT: my next question would be will the VW adaptor bracket more than likely work with this stand?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This stand looks pretty stout. Who makes it? As Glenn said, those four-pronged V8 type attachment yokes are a no-go for your VW. Can it be done? Yes. But the reasons to avoid it are many. Go with the Vintage World Tools yokes linked above.

Who makes that 4-leg stand you pictured? I can measure the diameter of my VWT yoke when I get home and post the dimensions (pretty sure 2-3/8 ). You just need to get the dims on the headstock of that pretty stand you're looking at.
Fman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Edit: my VWT yoke spindle measures 2.370, so you would seek an engine stand with a 2-3/8" headstock/tube.

Fman wrote:
Maybe someone can answer this questions for me, I am getting ready to purchase a VW engine stand. I have located a really nice heavy duty 4 wheel stand with the "standard 4 prong V8 adaptor on it" that all the engine stands use. Can you attach a VW engine to this style mount or do you need the VW adaptor to make it work?

This stand looks pretty stout. Who makes it? As Glenn said, those four-pronged V8 type attachment yokes are a no-go for your VW. Can it be done? Yes. But the reasons to avoid it are many. Go with the Vintage World Tools yokes linked above.

Who makes that 4-leg stand you pictured? I can measure the diameter of my VWT yoke when I get home and post the dimensions (pretty sure 2-3/8 ). You just need to get the dims on the headstock of that pretty stand you're looking at.

The stand is made by Torin, I will only buy a 4 leg stand, I am still not sold on the 3 wheel stands. Just personal preference, not worth the risk to me of having a stand tip over to save $30.

Thanks for the reference on Vintage World yoke, definitely looks like a much better option than the EMPI.
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:

Fman wrote:

Great that you guys are having this discussion. I bought the stand above couple months ago, it's the 1500 lbs v8 engine stand the 4 finger yoke spindle that came with it measures in at 2.340" also the area that the spindle goes into measures 2.390". My only question now is do you guys grease the spindle before use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Quote:
My only question now is do you guys grease the spindle before use.

I didn't. I like the resistance when rotating the engine during a build.
Others will chime in.

Good Luck

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Bad bug wrote:
Busstom wrote:

Fman wrote:

Great that you guys are having this discussion. I bought the stand above couple months ago, it's the 1500 lbs v8 engine stand the 4 finger yoke spindle that came with it measures in at 2.340" also the area that the spindle goes into measures 2.390". My only question now is do you guys grease the spindle before use.

Excellent, sounds like the Torin tube will accommodate the VWT yokes.

Greasing I guess is personal preference...I always do, once I had a fit that was too close, the works galled up and I had to put it up on a press to get the whole dang thing apart Embarassed
Fman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Bad bug wrote:
Busstom wrote:

Fman wrote:

Just to confirm the Torin stand will accomodate a 2 3/8" yoke? Wanted to make sure before I place the order. The only negative review I found on the Torin stand was it was too low? Have you noticed this being a problem?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Fman wrote:
Bad bug wrote:
Busstom wrote:

Fman wrote:

Just to confirm the Torin stand will accomodate a 2 3/8" yoke? Wanted to make sure before I place the order. The only negative review I found on the Torin stand was it was too low? Have you noticed this being a problem?

How tall are you? Do you like leaning forward for long periods of time? If not, you could always lengthen the post...but they made it short for the same reason you want four legs: stability.

By the way, that Tee-shaped 4-leg configuration doesn't present the foot-placement issue I spoke of earlier.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

I've been using a homemade three legged stand with an extended post for several decades now without issue.....
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I have a type IV and this combo looks good. Any reason for the four arm yoke and not the three arm?

With the hydraulic cart, were you able to use that to remove/install your engine as well?

Dale M. wrote:
Dark Earth wrote:
Here's the setup I pieced together for my build.

I bought a 500 lb. capacity hydraulic table cart from Harbor Freight ...

... a 1250 lb. engine stand from Summit Racing ...

... and a four arm engine stand yoke from here on TheSamba.

They fit together nicely and allow the engine to be removed and mounted to the stand easily.

I drilled holes in the engine stand yoke 90º apart so I can rotate the engine on the stand and lock it into position with a pin.

Although there was a bit of expense involved, It’s all worth it to me. The engine came out smoothly and safely, the exchange to the engine stand went just as planned, and it's now stored safely out of the way.

Awesome combination of parts/assembly, don't know why
people struggle with cheapo stand that you can not get some sort of lift into to get engine up to working height...

Dale

This is the best engine stand set up, I have seen so far. Cool

02/76 Beetle sedan
Fman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Fman wrote:
Bad bug wrote:
Busstom wrote:

Fman wrote:

How tall are you? Do you like leaning forward for long periods of time? If not, you could always lengthen the post...but they made it short for the same reason you want four legs: stability.

By the way, that Tee-shaped 4-leg configuration doesn't present the foot-placement issue I spoke of earlier.

I am 6'0, I am sure it wont be a huge issue just something I read. I just ordered the VWT yoke. Going to place my order today for the Torin stand, it is on Amazon right now for $77 with free shipping. Great deal for a 4 leg 1500 lb stand that is also fold-able.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
I've been using a homemade three legged stand with an extended post for several decades now without issue.....

Laughing Me too...I made my 3-leg stand in 10th grade, back in '81, and I was 6'3" back then! It's served me very well all these years. I recently finished a new 3-leg stand, and hell it looks oversquare in the pictures! But it's not, the center leg goes out 38" and the post comes up 36" to the yoke centerline. As soon as I get some paint on it, I'll post some pics of "old meets new."
Busstom wrote:
I've used a 3-wheeled engine stand for 35 years...
Sorry, I misspoke, that's 37 years now that I do the math Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 32

Jump to: