Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Stand
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Well yeah. That way the elactrickery won't drain out! Shocked
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Will it run with coil upside down?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Will it run with coil upside down?

That coil was put there for a five mile drive from my old house to my new house. I was trying out a single drla when I closed on the new house. Before that it had Weber ICT’s with the sideways coil mount. It also has a half empi and half solex carb.

And here’s my seating for the low stand.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Looks good. I have an engine stand and a seat on rollers. Less deep knee bends needed to move around. Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
A bay bell housing bolts up to a cheap ebay engine stand. I just had to cut a couple of spacers to stand the case off enough to clear the lip to mate the halves.

When complete, just bolt up a starter motor to test run the engine...

How do you split the case with using full bell housing...

Dale

I made spacers out of a scrap of 5 or 6mm steel. The triangular 'ear' in this picture is one of them. They're wide enough to set the case half out far enough to clear the lip. I made them long enough to spread the load around the flange.

Once the case halves were maded, I unbolted the completed case, removed the spacers and bolted it back up to the bell housing with all four bolts to avoid putting too much strain on the two bolts on one case half.

Edit. Found a picture of the spacers...

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pnw1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

this thread gave me an idea, when i started the project i bought an empi bench mount stand. 5 years (and a different house) later bigger garage, less bench. i went to HF and bought the 1000 pound 4-wheel (bad things can happen with three wheel stands) stand and cut the head off of the HF stand and the EMPI mount. sizzle, sizzle, spark and this is what i got.

wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Anyone have any pics of their test run engine stand set up?

I have been working on a test run stand using a Type 2 bolt on bell housing. My plan is to have battery mount, small fuel tank from a snow blower, some sort of dash that will house the ignition switch, a tach, oil pressure gauge and some sort of throttle control.

The idea is to have a test stand to break in my engines that allows for easy tuning and access during the initial run in of a new engine.

Roy at MOFOCO has a stand that is similar to what I'm doing.

I'm also interested in the simple wiring of one.

Post them up please. Thanks!
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

wardvwracer wrote:
Anyone have any pics of their test run engine stand set up?

I have been working on a test run stand using a Type 2 bolt on bell housing. My plan is to have battery mount, small fuel tank from a snow blower, some sort of dash that will house the ignition switch, a tach, oil pressure gauge and some sort of throttle control.

The idea is to have a test stand to break in my engines that allows for easy tuning and access during the initial run in of a new engine.

Roy at MOFOCO has a stand that is similar to what I'm doing.

I'm also interested in the simple wiring of one.

Post them up please. Thanks!

We have a dedicated topic on run stands:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380203

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn. I did several searches before posting that and didn't see it. I appreciate you sharing the link. Wink
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
Visje
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
With the adapter I used to sell you could hang a ACVW on any V8 type stand with adjustable fingers...

and after you get the short block assembled you can add one to the other side and take the strain off the one side of the case

these adapters and case are on a three wheeled stand that has had two 460 fords rebuilt on it and it was never tippy

Man I wish I still had access to the waterjet machine.

eQ

Are you willing to share the design for the adapter?
I'm currently restoring my VW Buggy and I would really like to have this made so I don't accidentally damage the casings.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Visje wrote:
earthquake wrote:
With the adapter I used to sell you could hang a ACVW on any V8 type stand with adjustable fingers...

and after you get the short block assembled you can add one to the other side and take the strain off the one side of the case

these adapters and case are on a three wheeled stand that has had two 460 fords rebuilt on it and it was never tippy

Man I wish I still had access to the waterjet machine.

eQ

Are you willing to share the design for the adapter?
I'm currently restoring my VW Buggy and I would really like to have this made so I don't accidentally damage the casings.

It not hard to make a drawing or take a case to some body make one or a pair, I would use 3/8" plate minimum but I like over kill, mine are 1/2"

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:

Thanks for posting this !! I already have that hyd lift and soon I will have that engine stand from Summit and the 3 arm head from the classifieds !!
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Wish I came across this thread before I bought my stand. Jegs 1000 lb with 4 casters. The buy a VW adaptor. Cut the old stand, weld on a new receiver, level to the ground.

I'm 71 and work alone. Sometimes I'll put a sign in the alley: Help Wanted. $25 to load or unload the engine out of my truck. Putting the engine on the stand today was fun. Got into some back alley engineering.
Out of the truck and onto the box.

Had to re drill the holes to get the cradle to mount.

Have to get the engine off the box and on to the lift, line it up and push. This was fun. I didn't want to "drop" my engine. Very careful.

Taadaa, ready to go to work.

As soon as it cools down a bit.

dgsaz
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Anyone have a laser cut for Engine Stand?
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:
Wish I came across this thread before I bought my stand. Jegs 1000 lb with 4 casters. The buy a VW adaptor. Cut the old stand, weld on a new receiver, level to the ground.

I'm 71 and work alone. Sometimes I'll put a sign in the alley: Help Wanted. $25 to load or unload the engine out of my truck. Putting the engine on the stand today was fun. Got into some back alley engineering.

Have to get the engine off the box and on to the lift, line it up and push. This was fun. I didn't want to "drop" my engine. Very careful.

Your vertical support is on there backward. Looks pretty tippy to me.

dgsaz

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
dgsaz wrote:

Your vertical support is on there backward. Looks pretty tippy to me.

dgsaz

It sure is!!!
Don Jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Here's my engine stand creation. Modified a Amazon Engine Stand.

Added a throttle lever to the right for breaking in camshaft.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

This isn't really an engine stand, but this thread seemed the right place to share it.

Space is a premium in my garage, so I use the bed of my Single Cab as a workbench. Manhandling a built engine to access either side is a pain, so I thought I'd try and find a turntable.

I looked at motorbike turntables, but they were more than I wanted to spend. Then I came across 'patient transfer turntables' on Amazon.

They're designed for careworkers to help people with limited mobility in and out of chairs and beds. This one is rated for 19 stone and only cost £15.

My wife and I tried it together (#worldscrappestmerrygoround) and it took our combined weight Embarassed easily, so I added a couple of bits of plywood to protect the ABS and gave it a whirl Laughing . It works a treat...

Link

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

^ ^ ^ Thanks for sharing.
link7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

Does anybody know if Vintage World Tools or VW Alley is still selling the adapters?

I don't see any active classifieds or anything on ebay and the contact info I've tried has been unsuccessful. Looking for a 2 arm adapter for a super beetle engine to put on a Torin Big Red stand.

Thanks
Millionmph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand Reply with quote

what the hell is all this? whats wrong with a couple 4x4s and the kitchen floor? lol Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 31

Jump to: